FYI-Northwest Aero CogBelt PSRU

Old July 19th 08, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bruce A. Frank

Default FYI-Northwest Aero CogBelt PSRU

I have noted here that Northwest Aero, the manufacturer of the evolution of the Blanton designed cog belt prop speed reduction unit had been sold. The new owner said that he would continue making he PSRUs for the Chevies and Fords. Yesterday I got an Email from another V-6 STOL builder who needed the bolts to attach the bottom sprocket to the crankshaft.

This was going to be a problem because the bolts are a non-standard thread. When I say non-standard I mean real *******. They are neither metric nor English. They are a custom thread, for no apparent reason. The people building the PSRU for the Ford 3.8L V-6s were having to take bolts with a long unthreaded shank, cut the threaded part off, turn to diameter and machine the non-standard threads on to the "blank."

I was hoping that the new NWA owner might have some of the parts around. After about an hour of searching I rediscovered the phone number in an email posted  on the Bearhawk group. (someone on the group, I have forgotten who, is having parts produced by the new owner for their conversion). The new "owner" is Steve Brown. And in all practicality he is not the new Northwest Aero, he has always been Northwest Aero.

Steve has been sole provider of all the parts through the entire existence of NWA when it was owned by Elwyn Johnson and most recently Johnny Lindgren. Steve's company is Eagle Precision, with a new name coming for the part that builds the PSRUs to be called Eagle Aero. He builds units for the Chevy LS1 V-8, the Chevy 4.3L V-6 and also for the Ford 3.8L V-6. He is also supplying units for the Land Rover (Buick) engine. But, there really is no limit, he will build a unit for just about any engine and if you have a real odd ball, if you can ship it to him, he will make a unit to fit. (no web site yet...waiting for pictures from the previous owner) He is in the process of shipping 6 freshly completed units to Dave Sharples in Australia for their further research work of putting auto conversions in Pawnee glider tugs. (Sharples' group has been flying the Ford 3.8L for several years and 900 hours. They are investigating another engine because the 3.8L is not available in Australia).

I gave Steve the name of the V-6 STOL builder who needed the bolts and told him to expect the call. Steve was extremely accommodating and willing to spend the time to answer all my questions. For those who are interested in an auto-engine conversion and need a cogbelt type of PSRU (the standard of the PSRU industry), Steve is a small but efficient operation and he can be reached at 253-848-1218. He is located in Puyallup, WA.

BTW, I immediately sent email to the builder and he wrote back in an hour saying that Steve was going to supply the bolts and would even invoice the charges (to someone he's only talked to on the phone).
The above info was originally posted in March '08.

Torsional Vibration and PSRU Design Gordon Arnaut Home Built 74 April 18th 06 11:41 PM
PSRU design advantages ADK Home Built 74 April 12th 06 09:31 PM
PSRU plans ADK Home Built 5 April 2nd 06 04:04 AM
3.8 liter V6 Ford PSRU model year compatibility James W Brackett Home Built 2 October 30th 03 07:20 AM
PSRU - Universal Engineering Merle Wagner Home Built 0 July 7th 03 12:38 AM