OT T6 Formation Flight Randoms - Video

Old September 11th 09, 09:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
A Lieberma[_2_]

Default OT T6 Formation Flight Randoms - Video

Last allotment of my T6 videos. Kinda saved the best for last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2cua16euk

The focus of this video is the tightness of the formations and the
precision

All shots were with the camera were zoomed out and as you can see I
could barely get one plane in the picture, that was how tight the
formations were.

Note the precision of the bank angles of the planes and how they
mirror each other. For the two ship formation toward the end of the
video, note the bank angle of number two with the elevator of the
plane I was in (lead) showing the precision of the formation

Old September 12th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
A Lieberma wrote:

Last allotment of my T6 videos. Kinda saved the best for last.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc2cua16euk

The focus of this video is the tightness of the formations and the
precision

All shots were with the camera were zoomed out and as you can see I
could barely get one plane in the picture, that was how tight the
formations were.

Note the precision of the bank angles of the planes and how they
mirror each other. For the two ship formation toward the end of the
video, note the bank angle of number two with the elevator of the
plane I was in (lead) showing the precision of the formation

Standard separation is 3 ft down (wingtips), 3 ft back (nose to tail),
establish your spots on your wingman to maintain a 45 deg angle. The
spots usually a aileron inboard trailing edge to wing TE and some
distinguishing mark on the fuselage, like a step, cowl latch, paint
stripe intersection with a door post, etc.

Remember -- if you can't see your wingman's head, he can't see you, so
you are out of position (usually sucked). In turns, you maintain
relative position, always keeping the spots aligned.

Throttle is your most important control.

Old September 12th 09, 04:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BeechSundowner

On Sep 11, 9:51*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

Standard separation is 3 ft down (wingtips), 3 ft back (nose to tail),
establish your spots on your wingman to maintain a 45 deg angle. The
spots usually a aileron inboard trailing edge to wing TE and some
distinguishing mark on the fuselage, like a step, cowl latch, paint
stripe intersection with a door post, etc.

Remember -- if you can't see your wingman's head, he can't see you, so
you are out of position (usually sucked). In turns, you maintain
relative position, always keeping the spots aligned.

Throttle is your most important control.

Interesting, I didn't feel we were that close (3 feet). It felt close
but only a yard stick is mighty close!

I heard that term sucked, but I didn't quite understand "smooshed"? I
was thinking that was out of position?

Lead was working on his certification (I think NATA) in which this
flight was all about.
Old September 12th 09, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
BeechSundowner wrote:

On Sep 11, 9:51*pm, Orval Fairbairn
wrote:
In article
,

Standard separation is 3 ft down (wingtips), 3 ft back (nose to tail),
establish your spots on your wingman to maintain a 45 deg angle. The
spots usually a aileron inboard trailing edge to wing TE and some
distinguishing mark on the fuselage, like a step, cowl latch, paint
stripe intersection with a door post, etc.

Remember -- if you can't see your wingman's head, he can't see you, so
you are out of position (usually sucked). In turns, you maintain
relative position, always keeping the spots aligned.

Throttle is your most important control.

Interesting, I didn't feel we were that close (3 feet). It felt close
but only a yard stick is mighty close!

I heard that term sucked, but I didn't quite understand "smooshed"? I
was thinking that was out of position?

Lead was working on his certification (I think NATA) in which this
flight was all about.

"Sucked" means that you are too far behind (obviously out of position,
enough that it takes a lot of effort to catch up).

"Acute" means that you are too far forward and need to back off power to
resume desired position.

"Stack low" means the formation is stepped, so #2 is lower than #1, etc.
This is the usual formation configuration. "Stack high" means that #2 is
higher than #1 and is better for aerial photography.

The reasons we stack low a
1. If a wingman lose power, he will shoot past safely.
2. It is easier to determine positioning spots on your wingman.