How to Avoid Being Grounded.

Old July 7th 10, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
betwys1

Default How to Avoid Being Grounded.

I pulled my plane over to the wash stand to lose the fly squash this
evening.
It was a little harder than I expected, to pull the 20 yards or so.
So I used a gas bottle to fill the tires, and put the bottle in the
cockpit while I pulled it back to the hangar.

That's when I noticed the problem.
No Registration card. I know it had slipped out of its aluminum
mounting clip once or twice. But now it was gone.

It is a 'Required for Flight' item, as you know.
Registration, Airworthiness, POH - accessible or on view.
A pilot certificate and medical in your wallet.

So I started worrying about how long the FAA would take to respond with
a temporary letter.

Then I looked at my flight bag in the car. There it was. Where I had
placed it when it slipped out of its holder.
That's when I decided to get sensible, and find a more secure holder
on the cabin side wall. My wife came up with a plastic-adhesive-back,
see-through-front envelope such as you place on parcels.

That won't come loose any time soon. But the registration can be
pulled for examination, if necessary.

Thank Goodness!

Brian W
Old July 7th 10, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
David Lesher

betwys1 writes:

That's when I noticed the problem.
No Registration card. I know it had slipped out of its aluminum
mounting clip once or twice. But now it was gone.

It is a 'Required for Flight' item, as you know.

I have this picture of Dan Aykroyd aka Joe Friday pulling
alongside in that T-38 with the LAPD marking and the
red light on the glareshield... and waving Brian to the
curb....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smartjunco/4360494729/
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old July 8th 10, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob

On Jul 6, 5:12*pm, betwys1 wrote:
[...]

Does anyone else find it amusing how worried everyone is about
violating a silly and pointless rule?

We are all told on our first day of flight school that something
terrible is going to happen if the "ARROW" items are somehow
misplaced?

For starters, the second R - Radio License - somehow stopped being
sacred a long time ago!

Is there really anyone on the planet who thinks that if the
Airworthiness Certificate of a 1980 Cessna 172 is somehow missing,
that the plane was not certified at the factory 30 years ago?

Similarly, are you going to fall out of the sky if you forgot to pay
your Registration? or pitch out of control if the W&B card is missing,
even though nothing heavier than a flight bag has moved more than a
few inches over the life of the airplane?

The only really critical item is the owner's manual, and that is only
because it contains the checklists.

Now, please, don't get me wrong, this is no critique of Brian W or
anyone else who is conscientious about the details of being a pilot.

I Just think we should worry about staying safe and doing the right
thing (whether or not someone from the FAA may catch us), rather than
simply obeying arbitrary rules.

Bob A. -- private pilot of a 172.
Old July 8th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Bob wrote, with regard to the FAA requirement to have the airworthiness
certificate on display, "Does anyone else find it amusing how worried
everyone is about violating a silly and pointless rule?"

No, Bob. You are the only one. g

If "silly and pointless" rules were eliminated, the Code of Federal
Regulations would be ten pages, instead of the 100,000 pages it is now (and
growing).

Jon

Old July 8th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
betwys1

On 7/8/2010 12:26 PM, Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Bob wrote, with regard to the FAA requirement to have the airworthiness
certificate on display, "Does anyone else find it amusing how worried
everyone is about violating a silly and pointless rule?"

No, Bob. You are the only one.g

If "silly and pointless" rules were eliminated, the Code of Federal
Regulations would be ten pages, instead of the 100,000 pages it is now (and
growing).

Jon

Ha! The LAST silly little regulation from the FAA (upgrade paper to
plastic certificates) - cost me around $1000 to fix up - and meant
flying a license from scratch.

Brian W
Old July 8th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
a[_3_]

On Jul 8, 12:43*pm, Bob wrote:
On Jul 6, 5:12*pm, betwys1 wrote:

[...]

thing (wher or not someone from the FAA may catch us), rather than
simply obeying arbitrary rules.

Bob A. -- *private pilot of a 172.

We have this silly notion that actions should 'add value' to the
endeavor. That's how people who work for me keep their jobs and if the
value they add exceeds the costs as I measure them they get
rewarded. . Somehow the notion of adding value seems to be missing at
the regulatory level. The stock guy moving a can from a box to a shelf
in the supermarket is adding value, he is putting the can where we can
get it. Some federal regulations add value, but the other 95% of them
are giving the rest a bad name.

I did not add much value to this thread -- sorry.

Old July 9th 10, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
betwys1

On 7/8/2010 9:10 PM, Stephen! wrote:
wrote in
:

Ha! The LAST silly little regulation from the FAA (upgrade paper to
plastic certificates) - cost me around $1000 to fix up - and meant
flying a license from scratch.

Do tell...

I wasn't paying attention to new FAA regs until I bought a plane last
year. By January last, I realised that
1) The FAA was updating easily forged paper certificates to plastic
security enhanced pilot certificates.
2) Last valid date of old paper certificates March 2010
3) I was ineligible for a $2 upgrade because my FAA license was on the
basis of a British license flown many years earlier.
4) The FAA required CAA verification of the UK license.
5) This procedure would take more time than was left.
AND worst of all....
6) My UK medical was not current (though my US medical WAS) so
I might need a trip just to get a UK medical

Ho hum...
I bit the bullet, found a pilot examiner in nearby TexaS
flew the refresher hours, flew the test, wrote the pilot ground test.

$1000.

Bingo!

Brian W
Old July 9th 10, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
betwys1

On 7/8/2010 2:14 PM, a wrote:

We have this silly notion that actions should 'add value' to the
endeavor. That's how people who work for me keep their jobs and if the
value they add exceeds the costs as I measure them they get
rewarded. . Somehow the notion of adding value seems to be missing at
the regulatory level. The stock guy moving a can from a box to a shelf
in the supermarket is adding value, he is putting the can where we can
get it. Some federal regulations add value, but the other 95% of them
are giving the rest a bad name.

I did not add much value to this thread -- sorry.

I understand this position.

And taking the big view, if enterprises are allowed to take risks
unregulated, all that happens is that the tax payer gets a bill for $7
billion dollars, and peoples' retirement drops in the can.
The dollar loses value, big time.
No problem.

But if flight goes unregulated, people die outright, and we get upset.
So we sit still for REAL regulation of flight.

Brian W
Old July 9th 10, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob

Thanks! You have no idea how happy I am that I am not the only one who
finds this insane.

-Bob A.

C-182's to avoid? Alan Browne Owning 27 November 17th 07 09:58 PM
See & Avoid Ol Shy & Bashful Piloting 27 August 2nd 07 01:27 PM
See and avoid... Ramy Soaring 22 January 30th 07 10:18 PM
See and avoid Kees Mies Piloting 39 March 22nd 04 09:31 PM