ELT Checks

Old November 18th 03, 06:40 PM
Kevin Chandler

Default ELT Checks

I know that I am allowed to replace the ELT battery of my airplane. At the
same time, I performed an ELT check as stated in FAR 91.207. Not being an
A&P or an IA, am I allowed to perform this check and sign off on it?

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Old November 18th 03, 07:08 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Kevin Chandler wrote:

I know that I am allowed to replace the ELT battery of my airplane. At the
same time, I performed an ELT check as stated in FAR 91.207. Not being an
A&P or an IA, am I allowed to perform this check and sign off on it?

I certainly hope so. I've been doing that for years.

George Patterson
The actions taken by the New Hampshire Episcopalians (ie. inducting a gay
bishop) are an affront to Christians everywhere. I am just thankful that
the church's founder, Henry VIII, and his wife Catherine of Aragon, and his
wife Anne Boleyn, and his wife Jane Seymour, and his wife Anne of Cleves,
and his wife Katherine Howard, and his wife Catherine Parr are no longer
here to suffer through this assault on traditional Christian marriages.
Old November 18th 03, 09:18 PM
Kevin Chandler

I thought so too.

A designated examiner was reviewing our log books for a commercial student.
He flagged that as being a problem. He also felt that it was wrong for me
to remove a radio, get it repair and reinstall it. The radio complaint was
resolved through the AOPA website. They gave that exact example as
something that the pilot could do. Maybe I should ask them about and ELT
check.

Kevin

Old November 18th 03, 09:52 PM
rip

Nope. The list of things an owner/operator is allowed to do is very
specific. Replacing, testing, or logging the replacement or testing of
an ELT battery is not on the list. (Appendix A to Part 43 -- Major
Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance).

Old November 18th 03, 10:28 PM
Ron Natalie

"rip" wrote in message . com...
Nope. The list of things an owner/operator is allowed to do is very
specific. Replacing, testing, or logging the replacement or testing of
an ELT battery is not on the list. (Appendix A to Part 43 -- Major
Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance).

Item 24 on 43xA.vc is "Replacing and servicing batteries."

Old November 18th 03, 10:41 PM
G.R. Patterson III

rip wrote:

Nope. The list of things an owner/operator is allowed to do is very
specific. Replacing, testing, or logging the replacement or testing of
an ELT battery is not on the list.

Yes, it is. The only question is whether the owner is allowed to perform the
functional test of the ELT. I do it and log it anyway. If my IA also performs
the test at annual, hey - I'm covered.

Old November 18th 03, 11:07 PM
Jim Weir

And the hell of it is, we can't even use the "natalie exclusion" because it is
the ONLY thing in the airplane that isn't connected to the bus that turns on the
landing light {;-)

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old November 19th 03, 02:10 AM
dave

Mine isn't!
Damn expensive AA batteries

Dave

Formation flying Bingo Home Built 21 August 23rd 04 12:51 AM
~ 8 MORE DEAD US SOLDIERS - 93 IN APRIL SO FAR - BUSH CHECKS TURKEY MORRIS434 Military Aviation 0 April 22nd 04 09:44 AM
Radio talk in the UK Paul General Aviation 36 March 8th 04 11:57 PM
A couple Questions-Ramp Checks and Experimental Operations Badwater Bill Home Built 48 October 8th 03 09:11 PM
Flight Checks Mark Jackson Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 24th 03 06:39 PM