RV-8 Instructor?

Old April 10th 04, 01:38 PM
Skyking

Default RV-8 Instructor?

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

Thanks,

Skyking

Old April 10th 04, 10:58 PM
EDR

In article , Skyking
wrote:

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

You do not need another RV-8. A Citabria will do with a competent
instructor.
Old April 11th 04, 04:19 PM
Skyking

"EDR" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Skyking
wrote:

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

You do not need another RV-8. A Citabria will do with a competent

instructor.

I don't believe that a Citabria flies anything like a RV-8.

I've got over 5000 hours in Stearmans and I wouldn't
check someone out in a Citabria and tell them that they
could fly a Stearman.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Skyking

Old April 11th 04, 06:21 PM
Kyle Boatright

"Skyking" wrote in message

"EDR" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Skyking
wrote:

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

You do not need another RV-8. A Citabria will do with a competent

instructor.

I don't believe that a Citabria flies anything like a RV-8.

I've got over 5000 hours in Stearmans and I wouldn't
check someone out in a Citabria and tell them that they
could fly a Stearman.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Skyking

As an RV-6 pilot, I agree with the Citabria recommendation. Citabria to RV
is a very easy tailwheel transition. Now, once you're off the ground, the
RV will be 80 mph faster and climb like a bat outta hell, but most people
don't have a big problem with those aspects of flying...

KB

Old April 12th 04, 02:11 AM
Rich Stowell

"Skyking" wrote in message ...
"EDR" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Skyking
wrote:

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

You do not need another RV-8. A Citabria will do with a competent

instructor.

I don't believe that a Citabria flies anything like a RV-8.

I've got over 5000 hours in Stearmans and I wouldn't
check someone out in a Citabria and tell them that they
could fly a Stearman.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Skyking

But 5,000 hours of Stearman time would make the transition into a
Citabria or even an RV-8 relatively easy from a
take-off/landing/ground handling standpoint, which is really the more
difficult part of flight operations.

The differences between managing a horizontally-opposed Lycoming
versus a radial engine Contintental notwithstanding, if the Citabria
check out involved many hours flying it from the back seat in order to
develop the peripheral sense needed in something like a Stearman, the
recommendation may not be that unreasonable as part of the overall
check out strategy (probably cheaper, too).

As for transitioning from a Citabria, Cub, or other similar
taildragger (even a Pitts, but that's really overkill in terms of
control sensitivity/performance), the transition into an RV-4, -6, or
-8 form those types will not be difficult provided an understanding of
the performance differences -- higher speeds and more abrupt stall
buffeting in the RV's for example -- are explained and understood.
From a tailwheel standpoint close to the ground, the Citabria is a
more challenging airplane than the RV-8.

The best thing your friend could do if he/she really wants time in an
RV-8 or similar RV product is to contact the kit manufacturer
directly, or talk with the local EAA Chapter. Several qualified RV
instructors can be had for check outs, even test flying newly-built
airplanes. They might have to be brought in from somewhere else,
though, but the cost to do this is cheap if it results in a thoroughly
tested airplane and a thoroughly checked-out owner/pilot who will then
be comfortable and competent in the airplane over the long haul.

Hope this helps,

Rich
http://www.richstowell.com
Old April 12th 04, 02:59 AM
EDR

In article , Skyking
wrote:

"EDR" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Skyking
wrote:

I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8. Is there anyone near Kingman who could help?
The person would need access to a dual control RV-8 as
the time is not flown off of his airplane yet.

You do not need another RV-8. A Citabria will do with a competent

instructor.

I don't believe that a Citabria flies anything like a RV-8.

In the pattern, you should be flying close to the same speeds.
If you fly the pattern in an RV-8 faster than a Citabria, you are
flying too fast! (And looking to be an accident statistic!)
Fly the right airspeed and pitch attitude and the airplane will settle
gently onto the runway. If you float, you are flying too fast.
Old April 12th 04, 04:11 AM
Ron Lee

http://www.vansairforce.net/transition_training.htm
Old April 12th 04, 07:35 AM
Jerry Springer

Kyle Boatright wrote:
"Skyking" wrote in message

"EDR" wrote in message

In article , Skyking
wrote:

[...]

And with over 1000 hours in an RV myself I agree with Kyle. He could also use an
RV-6 or an RV-4 to learn the basics. What is the problem he is havinbg landing
the RV-8?

Old April 12th 04, 06:32 PM
David Brooks

"Skyking" wrote in message
I have a friend in Kingman,AZ who needs some help with
landing his RV-8.

How much fuel does he have left?

-- David Brooks

Old July 19th 10, 09:09 AM
gordonjj gordonjj is offline
Junior Member

Location: Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brooks View Post

How much fuel does he have leftof the rv for rent?

-- David Brooks
Sounds complicated.

Last edited by gordonjj : July 23rd 10 at 07:41 PM.