Lockheed Martin KC-130J Given Approval After Intensive Testing ByMarine Corps

Old April 30th 04, 02:27 AM
Henry J Cobb

Default Lockheed Martin KC-130J Given Approval After Intensive Testing ByMarine Corps

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2163485&EDATE=

More details about the KC-130J tanker can be found here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ft/kc-130j.htm

-HJC

Old May 2nd 04, 05:57 PM
Bob Urz

Henry J Cobb wrote:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2163485&EDATE=

More details about the KC-130J tanker can be found here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ft/kc-130j.htm

-HJC

How does "hotel mode" work?

Bob

Old May 2nd 04, 06:11 PM
Yeff

On Sun, 02 May 2004 11:57:54 -0500, Bob Urz wrote:

Henry J Cobb wrote:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2163485&EDATE=

More details about the KC-130J tanker can be found here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ft/kc-130j.htm

-HJC

How does "hotel mode" work?

Their uniforms turn Air Force blue and their TDY accommodations improve.

-Jeff B.
yeff at erols dot com
Old May 2nd 04, 09:15 PM
Henry J Cobb

Bob Urz wrote:
How does "hotel mode" work?

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/event..._events33.html
Hotel mode, a unique capability of the C-130J propulsion system that
provides for safer ground loading and unloading operations, was
demonstrated in recent tests at MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina.
This capability puts the C-130J propellers in feathered position,
which reduces both propeller blast and engine exhaust heat and,
consequently, the amount of dust, dirt, and debris being kicked up
behind the aircraft. The engines remain running in this mode enabling
the pilot to spool them quickly up to military power.

-HJC
Old May 3rd 04, 02:00 AM
Bob Urz

Henry J Cobb wrote:

Bob Urz wrote:

How does "hotel mode" work?

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/event..._events33.html
Hotel mode, a unique capability of the C-130J propulsion system that
provides for safer ground loading and unloading operations, was
demonstrated in recent tests at MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina.
This capability puts the C-130J propellers in feathered position,
which reduces both propeller blast and engine exhaust heat and,
consequently, the amount of dust, dirt, and debris being kicked up
behind the aircraft. The engines remain running in this mode enabling
the pilot to spool them quickly up to military power.

-HJC

I saw what it does already, i was more curious on how.
I have visions of a large clutch pack or such.
That could be a potential failure mode. I am curious
mechanically how they do it.

Bob

Old May 3rd 04, 02:39 AM
Marc Reeve

Henry J Cobb wrote:
Bob Urz wrote:
How does "hotel mode" work?

http://www.codeonemagazine.com/event..._events33.html
Hotel mode, a unique capability of the C-130J propulsion system that
provides for safer ground loading and unloading operations, was
demonstrated in recent tests at MCAS Cherry Point, North Carolina.
This capability puts the C-130J propellers in feathered position,
which reduces both propeller blast and engine exhaust heat and,
consequently, the amount of dust, dirt, and debris being kicked up
behind the aircraft. The engines remain running in this mode enabling
the pilot to spool them quickly up to military power.

It also allows them to keep the climate control systems running, which
is commonly called a "hotel load" (lights and A/C). Which is probably
how it came to be called "hotel mode".

-Marc
--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old May 3rd 04, 02:43 AM
Steve R.

The LPT is not physically connected to the compressor; only to the prop
gearbox. The pitch control unit routes oil through the Beta tube to the prop
to set it to feather. Since the LPT isn't connected to the HPT or the
compressor, it can turn at a much slower speed. That is the reason the
engine spools up faster than the T-56 also. If you're doing a man on the
stand you apply a bit of reverse pitch because in hotel mode you still have
some prop blast.
Steve R.

Old May 6th 04, 02:11 AM

Bob Urz wrote:

Henry J Cobb wrote:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...2163485&EDATE=

More details about the KC-130J tanker can be found here.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...ft/kc-130j.htm

-HJC

How does "hotel mode" work?

Bob

Hell yes!!...how indeed?, that's a very interesting
development...I'm assuming that this isn't the normal Allison
C-130 engine?
--

-Gord.
Old May 6th 04, 02:29 AM

"Steve R." wrote:

The LPT is not physically connected to the compressor; only to the prop
gearbox. The pitch control unit routes oil through the Beta tube to the prop
to set it to feather. Since the LPT isn't connected to the HPT or the
compressor, it can turn at a much slower speed. That is the reason the
engine spools up faster than the T-56 also. If you're doing a man on the
stand you apply a bit of reverse pitch because in hotel mode you still have
some prop blast.
Steve R.

Ok, so it's 'not' a T-56 then...do you know what it is?...and
what RPM does the prop turn at in that mode?...most
interesting...
--

-Gord.
Old May 6th 04, 03:49 AM
Steve R.

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Steve R." wrote:

The LPT is not physically connected to the compressor; only to the prop
gearbox. The pitch control unit routes oil through the Beta tube to the

prop
to set it to feather. Since the LPT isn't connected to the HPT or the
compressor, it can turn at a much slower speed. That is the reason the
engine spools up faster than the T-56 also. If you're doing a man on the
stand you apply a bit of reverse pitch because in hotel mode you still

have
some prop blast.
Steve R.

Ok, so it's 'not' a T-56 then...do you know what it is?...and
what RPM does the prop turn at in that mode?...most
interesting...
--

-Gord.

(Note: I get this whole top post/bottom post thing messed up, so forgive me
if I switch back & forth. )
The J-model has the Rolls Royce AE2100D-3 engines. The AE2100 engine is used
in the Saab 2000, C-27J and in the AE1107 configuration in the V-22 Osprey.
I do not know the prop RPM in HOTEL mode, but it is approx. 25-30% Np RPM,
where low speed ground idle is 71-73% Np RPM.
Steve R.