Where in Seattle?

Old March 7th 05, 01:08 AM
Al Gilson

OK, Jay...I've been hanging back figuring some of the Seattlites would
chime in. I live in Spokane and have stayed in a variety of Seattle
Hotels. Here's my $0.2:

I haven't found a niche-suites hotel like yours. Not that there isn't
one, but I just haven't found one. Embassy Suites, of course, in
Bellevue is an option.

There aren't any decent hotels near the Museum of Flight, however,
Domenick is right, it's fairly close to downtown-about 2-3 miles.

My favorite Hotel is the Edgewater, built right on a pier on Alaskan
Way. They've always touted that you cna fish out you window. Heck, the
Beatles stayed there! Also, the Inn at the (Pike Place) Market has a
great view.

The usual downtown high rise lodging on 6th Avenue: Crowne Plaza,
Sheraton, Hilton (wierd with a lobby on the 10th floor). Or the Westin
on 5th near Westlake, (two big, tall, and round towers. Cool views).

Older Elegant (but pricey): The Mayflower Park Hotel which is attached
to the Westlake Mall.

Older, clean, and somewhat reasonable prices (for the big city): The
Roosevelt (good food in Von's Restaurant just off the lobby), and the
Vance.

There a a number of good hotels near the airport (20 minutes from
downtown in non-rush hour traffic): Red Lion is the biggest.

Your best bet is to rent a car, (I know, it's tacky in a big city but
the public transit won't get you quickly to the museum and the airport
shuttles just drop you at the big hotels). Rush hour freeway traffic
sucks, just be patient.
----
Al Gilson
1964 Skyhawk
KSFF Spokane, WA
Old March 7th 05, 03:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"Big John" wrote in message
[...]
Good meuseum to visit (lots of heavy Iron) is about 20 miles +/- north
of Seattle. Ask some of the locals for location.

Good luck with that Jay. I'm not aware of any museum "20 miles +/- north of
Seattle". The (Boeing Field) Museum of Flight's restoration center is at
Paine Field (Snohomish County Airport) in Everett, and while there are a few
"heavy Iron" planes up there, I wouldn't call the numbers "lots".
http://www.museumofflight.org/visit/ (scroll to the bottom for info about
the restoration center)

A little further north from that is Paul Allen's Flying Heritage collection
at Arlington Airport. Tours by appointment only, and very expensive
relative to the number of planes there (though I did enjoy my visit
there...just not everyone's cup of tea). http://www.flyingheritage.com/

Doesn't sound like to me you'd wind up heading that far north of Seattle
anyway, but I've got no idea what the person posting as "Big John" is
referring to, and I doubt any of the other locals would either. There
aren't any actual museums per se in that general vicinity (even if there are
several good places to visit planes )

Pete

Old March 7th 05, 04:16 AM
Jay Honeck

Drop me an email a few days before your arrival. I work near
downtown. Maybe we can hook up. Are you a cigar smoker, per chance?

The last thing I put in my mouth that was on fire was in 1986. Since then,
I stick to liquids.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 05, 04:22 AM
Jay Honeck

I haven't found a niche-suites hotel like yours. Not that there isn't
one, but I just haven't found one. Embassy Suites, of course, in
Bellevue is an option.

Yeah, that's the one I'm leaning towards, although they don't seem to
participate in any flight/hotel deals that I've been able to find. (Of
course, neither do we...)

My favorite Hotel is the Edgewater, built right on a pier on Alaskan Way.
They've always touted that you cna fish out you window. Heck, the Beatles
stayed there! Also, the Inn at the (Pike Place) Market has a great view.

Hey, if it's good enough for John & Paul, I'm there. :-)

Actually, all I care about is having three beds. One can be a fold-out or a
roll-away, but I do NOT want to sleep in the same bed as my son, which is
what will happen if we're stuck in a standard McHotel. (And Mary then ends
up sleeping with my daughter.) That boy of mine kicks like a mule all
night long, and no one gets any sleep. So, it's a suites-type hotel, or
nothing.

*sigh* Embassy Suites has about as much character and ambience as a sticky
door knob, but at least I know we'll get some space.

Thanks for the input!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 7th 05, 12:22 PM
John

Jay -

I just stayed at the Homewood Suites in Downtown Seattle. A very nice
property and a great staff. A few block drive gets you onto the
Alaskan viaduct, an older but very interesting "over - under" limited
access road that will take you almost straight down to East Marginal
where the Museum is. It provided tremendous views of the harbor.

As you approach Boeing Field, stop the car and let someone else drive.
The rubbernecking opportunities come too fast to have to be concerned
with defensive driving. About 1/2 mile from the museum, I caught a
quick glimpse of a B-47 Stratojet. It was the quickest of glances, but
it looks as if it just rolled out of production. The Museum is very
good (to me one of the better ones).

Impressions: Air Force One was not as "swanky" as I would expected,
functional yes, and with room to spread out, but not nearly as nice as
the interiors of some exec 727's

The Concorde cabin looked and felt a lot like a Regional Jet cabin, the
only difference being in leg room. Otherwise the cabin and the seats
looked narrow.

Enjoy

Blue Skies

Old March 7th 05, 04:53 PM

I have stayed in the Marriott Courtyard in Tukwila for business and
found it was easy to get to the museum and there is a mall acroos the
street to give the family something to occupy themselves while you are
having fun.

There is a good place nearby called Claim Jumpers that isn't too bad
either. Just go hungry.

http://www.claimjumper.com/

The Motherlode chocolate cake is huge and you almost need a ladder to
climb up to the top to eat it.

Tom

Old March 7th 05, 06:14 PM
Gary

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, so we're stuck flying the executive mailing tube to Seattle in
May, to attend my nephew's wedding. I just don't have time to fly
Atlas all the way, and I can't risk being held up by weather.

Well Jay it looks like you got some good ideas as to were to stay! My
friends in Bellevue couldn't offer up any better ideas than what you got
from the group...sorry!

Hope the wedding and all goes well. I wish all the best to your nephew and
his new wife!

Gary

Old March 7th 05, 09:53 PM
C J Campbell

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

*sigh* Embassy Suites has about as much character and ambience as a

sticky
door knob, but at least I know we'll get some space.

Breakfast there is pretty good, though.

Old March 7th 05, 09:54 PM
C J Campbell

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

*sigh* Embassy Suites has about as much character and ambience as a

sticky
door knob, but at least I know we'll get some space.

Breakfast there is pretty good, though.

Besides, it is built on the former site of the old Bellevue Municipal
Airport.

Old March 8th 05, 04:36 AM
Jay Honeck

Besides, it is built on the former site of the old Bellevue Municipal
Airport.

I can't decide whether that's a plus or not...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Seattle TFRs Robert M. Gary Piloting 6 July 7th 04 01:13 AM
Seattle Midair Mark Navarre Soaring 1 April 11th 04 08:31 PM
Centenial of Flight at MOF (Seattle) Jack G Military Aviation 0 December 2nd 03 11:59 PM
Concorde Lands at Museum of Flight in Seattle [email protected] Owning 0 November 6th 03 12:15 AM
Presidential TFR violations in Seattle? C J Campbell Piloting 16 August 26th 03 03:34 PM