what headset to buy

Old July 26th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default what headset to buy

Hi folks - I'm new to the group - I have my ppl checkride in a couple
of weeks, and when I have it done I'll probably do mostly short
sightseeing and medium cross-country flights.

I'd love some advice on what headset to buy. Everybody always says
"it's a personal thing" but that obviously doesn't really give me much
indication of what I should consider.

I'm not looking to pay top dollar but I'm willing to spend the money to
get something good and comfortable - I don't just want an entry-level
headset that I'll want to replace before long.

What do you recommend? What are the main features I should be looking
for? Which manufacturers have the best reputations? Any specific model
recommendations?

Thanks, I appreciate it,

Tom

Old July 27th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_1_]

wrote:
I'm not looking to pay top dollar but I'm willing to spend the money to
get something good and comfortable - I don't just want an entry-level
headset that I'll want to replace before long.

My first set was a fairly crappy Telex that I loaned out some years ago never to
be seen again. My second headset (purchased before the loan of the crappy Telex
set) was a high dollar David Clark 10-80 (I think) that's no longer made. I
still use them as my primary headset.

I had a need for a second headset for a friend to use when he flew with me and
so while I didn't want to spend a lot, I didn't want crap either. I ended up
with some Marv Golden's that have worked out really well. I had occasion to use
them on a flight myself when my David Clarks turned up missing a ear seal just
before a flight; I was very favorably impressed. These are headsets that you
can enjoy for years and then relegate them to one of your passengers if you
choose to move up to ANR at some point in the future. Unlike the David Clark
10-40 that they copied, the Marv Golden MG-40s are comfortable, even on my fat
head.

As for ANR, I've never felt the need. I hear just fine with the well sealed
Marv Golden and David Clark headsets.

http://www.marvgolden.com/headsets/mg40.htm

$89.95 shipped.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

Old July 27th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Hello Tom,

I know price is somewhat of a concern to you. I agree with other
people saying that you should try the headsets. I was in OSH last
year and they've got these booths where they simulate the sound of your
plane and you can try on a dozen different headsets. I didn't do any
research when i go there and have been flying with ****ty old Dave
Clarks (something I imagine cost $99 at one time).

Anyhow... i closed my eyes and had my girlfriend hand me headset after
headset. This way I wouldn't be swayed by name brand. At the end of
the day it came down to Bose for me. They were light, comfortable and
super quiet. They were also 400$ more than my second choice.

I hummed and hawwed a while and walked around. The thought of
spending that much money wasn't great. But i couldn't do the 9 hour
flight back home with the headsets I had. I talked to one of the main
techy guys at the Bose booth and he really reassured me of their
product. If there were problems he said that theyd' take care of me.
Very trusting guy. I didn't as warm a feeling and welcome from the
other manufacturers. Keep in mind, I was dressed like I drove to OSH
in a 87 Pinto and couldn't afford a $5 hamburger no less a $100 one.
So for them to put the time in with me where other hadn't meant a great
deal.

In the end I bought the Bose. I've got, hopefully, lots of years left
in aviation and if your prorate it over a number of years, the
difference of $400 between headsets doesn't add up to too much over say
5 or 10 years.

This is by far the best investment in aviation I've made.

So bottom line... try a bunch... don't be swayed by the brand.... and
buy the ones you like best. If you can't afford them now, I'd wait and
save some more $ and then buy them. Otherwise you'll always be saying,
"these are good... but not as good as the ones I should have bought".

Just my 2 cents.

Let us know what you decide.

-dr

Old July 27th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Thomas Borchert

What do you recommend?

Get ANR, if you can at all afford it.

What are the main features I should be looking for?

ANR and comfort. The latter can only be tried on your head. Make use of
money-back policies or a well-equipped pilot shop in your area.

Which manufacturers have the best reputations?

Bose is top and top dollar. Lightspeed offers excellent value. David
Clark tends to be overpriced when comparing the features you get. IMHO.

Any specific model
recommendations?

Lightspeed's 20XLc is a good "middle groudn" headset.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old July 27th 06, 11:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
KevinBlack

I started with the DC H20-10, enjoyed them muchly, but DCs prices for ANR
were over the top at the time I wanted to upgrade (and DC had no upgrade
path). I bought the LS 25XL and upgraded to the 30-3G and like them a lot,
but not cheap.

For a US made, DCH13.4 look alike, ANR - try the DRE-6000 available from
Avionics West for $279. I have no personal experience with these (they
might have been a contender if I knew they existed when I bought the first
LS). I've read a number of good reports, but that's nothing like wearing a
pair. I do not know what the Avionics West return policy is, they may let
you try etc etc

Cheers,
Kevin

Old July 27th 06, 12:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_3_]

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
What do you recommend?

Get ANR, if you can at all afford it.

I have to believe that is the best advise.

Some things, once you screw them up, never recover. Hearing is a big one.

I now have a rather profound hearing loss, and might have to get hearing
aids, just to pass the commercial driver's license "whisper test." Tat test
is a joke, if you don't know that.

I also hear a multi-pitched high frequency ringing in my head, at all times.
It drowns out everything that is soft. I hear it so loud that it is
difficult to go to sleep, sometimes.

Protect your hearing. You don't get a second chance. A couple hundred
bucks more for headsets is a very good bargain, for that.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 27th 06, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dice

You're at your checkride and you're just NOW thinking about headsets??? And
you're *new* here???? Where are you training?...
Try out a few sets and get whatever makes atc understandable to you and
takes the marbles out of their mouths.
My acid test was NY approach. I understood them better with the Bose, Telex
and Lightspeed. If your hearing is off (as it might be if this is your
first headset), the Lightspeeds have a tone control to boost 2K Hz speech
frequencies.

ups.com...

Old July 27th 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maule Driver

Well, top dollar will get you a top performer - the Bose. They are good
or perhaps the best if AMUs aren't a concern.

Realistically, as a new PPL, non-owner, the sightseeing and short cross
countries do not require the best. There are a lot of very good units
that work very well in terms of noise performance and comfort. The
advice about trying a few and buying what seems to work well for you is
great advice. It's hard to go wrong if you do that.

If you own an aircraft, especially a slow one, do long cross countries,
listen to music when not IFR, and otherwise live a flying lifestyle,
spending more AMUs for the Bose may make sense.

Sincerely,
Owner of 6 headsets from 3 manufacturers for our 2+ all-the-
shoes-she-needs Maule

Old July 27th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_1_]

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 07:56:48 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:
I also hear a multi-pitched high frequency ringing in my head, at all times.
It drowns out everything that is soft. I hear it so loud that it is
difficult to go to sleep, sometimes.

It's called marriage...

Headset Noise Jonathan Goodish Owning 31 April 19th 06 01:18 PM
ICOM Headset Adaptor Plug Ron Wanttaja Home Built 3 June 2nd 05 07:54 AM
Panther C.A.T. headset. Ross Taylor Products 0 October 22nd 04 11:59 PM
Bose makes good on my wife's headset. Kyler Laird General Aviation 3 March 10th 04 02:08 PM
Bose makes good on my wife's headset. Kyler Laird Piloting 3 March 10th 04 02:08 PM