WAAS upgrade for your G1000?

Old May 30th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Default WAAS upgrade for your G1000?

On 30 May 2007 13:28:30 -0400, Frank Eigler
wrote:

"Dan Luke" wrote:

Think about the fact that the FAA is counting on GPS to allow them
to do away with ground based NAV systems--it's already happening.
Do you really believe that won't include some ILS's?

So *that's* what you're aching to sue Garmin & Cessna for?
The hypothetical decommissioning of ILS approaches by the FAA?
Good luck with that.

No, they'd be sued for printing "WAAS upgradable" on all their price
lists since the G1000 was introduced and then not providing that
upgrade. They didn't say it was going to be free, just that there was
going to be an upgrade path.

And since the same comdat antenni and GIA form-factor boxen are used
in the pre-and-post WAAS aircraft, the inability to ship out a new
comdat and GIA box and have WAAS in the older aiframes is suspect. It
should be a 2 hour job to smack the new antenni and boxes in and do a
flight test. That was the whole point of the G1000 system, modular
functions. Replace the box, instant upgrade.
Old May 31st 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

This illustrates the downside of a fully integrated solution. You are
at the
whim of the original manufacturer for upgrades. It is virtually
impossible
to add other boxes.

I'm touched slightly by this... I use a comdat antenna with my 430.
It's a
great solution, requiring few holes in the roof.

But there is no comdat waas approved version yet :- ( ...probably
due to the
G-1000 situation.

Bill Hale Loveland CO

Old June 1st 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

Unless I missed something there must be a comdat tri-antenna (COM,
GPS, GDL69A) WAAS approved version since the 2007 Cessna range with
WAAS GIAs installed are using them. It's possible I'm wrong, but I
don't recall seeing a puck or two on the roof like the old KLN94
installs had. Either that or the way they added the WAAS hardware to
the new GIA alleviated the need for the updated antenna somehow. I'll
have to look at the parts manual tomorrow and see if they changed the
antennas.

Old April 14th 17, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Tuesday, May 29, 2007 at 6:10:58 PM UTC-4, Dan Luke wrote:
From the Cessna Pilots Ass'n avionics forum:

"Just talked to Tom Engberg at Cessna about G1000 WAAS upgrade. He said that
Cessna was waiting on Garmin to propose an upgrade to the pre 07 G1000s. He
also said that it was going to take a change in the GIAs and that would be
very expensive. This is if it is even made available. What I couldn't fine
believeable is that he said no one at Cessna knew if the upgrade was even
going to be made available. I believe that if the present owners of pre 07
G1000s don't start calling Cessna and demanding what their advertisements
stated, we will never get a WAAS upgrade."

--
Dan
? at BFM

Sorry, kind of late on this thread, but a student just bought a 2004 C-182 and thought that it had WAAS. I got a WAG on WAAS upgrade: $28,000!!!! I don't believe that this includes the Garmin Autopilot, but am not sure, since both display units and both antenna are included, it may include removal of the KAP-140 and replacement with the GFC 700 autopilot. I do not believe that it includes the Garmin GFC 700. I owned a 2004 and then a 2007 Cessna 182. The difference in the NAV capabilities was great. However, LNAV approaches without glide path are far superior to any old VOR or ADF approaches. The single advantage of the older machines is that, with the single AHRS installed in these airplanes, loss of that AHRS is pretty bad in IMC because staring down at the standby attitude indicator is a bear in the NEW (WAAS) units. However, with the KAP-140 being independent of the G1000 (older airplanes), loss of the AHRS does not eliminate use of the KAP-140 autopilot. The KAP-140 keeps the airplane on course (using heading mode), and on altitude, where one can continue using the full GPS nav tracking. I've had an AHRS fail in IMC, and it wasn't much of a bother.

Chick Svoboda