Seminole crash - 3 CFIs

Old January 3rd 04, 09:49 PM
Blanche

C J Campbell wrote:
OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that cannot
properly interpret HTML?

Me. I still use command-line email and news on Unix/Linux.

Incredibly fast.
No chance of spam, trojans or virii.

And yes, I do have spamassassin running, too.

I am *PROUD* to be a troglodyte!

Old January 3rd 04, 10:04 PM
John T

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message

Insofar as the HTML question is concerned, I'm not computer savvy
enough to know what I am doing wrong. Why has this question just
popped up, after the many, many times I have posted without changing
any settings??

Perhaps because nobody chose to mention it before.

If you're interested in correcting the issue, click on Tools | Options, the
click the Send tab. At the bottom of the page will be a section for "News
sending format". Click the "Plain text" option and you're all set.

As a point of netiquette, all news postings should be in plain text to reach
the largest audience possible and to greatly reduce bandwidth requirements.
HTML adds significant transmission overhead to the actual message.

FWIW, Outlook Express 6 (SP1?) offers the option to display all messages as
plain text regardless of sending format. I strongly encourage users to
enable this option to greatly reduce the possibility of accidental viral
infection. This may be set by clicking Tools | Options, then the Read tab
and check the option for "Read all messages in plain text."

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 3rd 04, 10:13 PM
Jürgen Exner

C J Campbell wrote:
"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

[...]
He shouldn't have used HTML (nor should anyone be posting to a
newsgroup like this one using HTML

OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that
cannot properly interpret HTML?

Does it matter? Usenet is a text-only medium and has always been.
Many gateways automatically block any non-text article or articles with
attachments (unless they are posted in one of the *.binary.* NGs). And I for
one am glad they do.

If font and layout are more important to you than content, then you are
welcome to go to some web board. But _PLEASE_ leave Usenet the way it is.

jue

Old January 4th 04, 01:31 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
r.com...
Same here. No crap.

Roger that!

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Are you sure that you don't have your newsgroup reader set to

display,
'source' ???

Nope! This is the only post.

Weird. Bob's post appeared normally on my PC.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 4th 04, 01:36 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

C J Campbell wrote:

Induction icing does not sound like an "unspecified power problem."

It does to a reporter who doesn't know what induction icing is.

Or to a reporter that doesn't know what an "induction" system is, much less
what "induction icing" would be.

Old January 4th 04, 02:52 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-01-03 11:46:15 -0800, "Bob Gardner" said:

Insofar as the HTML question is concerned, I'm not computer savvy enough

know what I am doing wrong. Why has this question just popped up, after

the
many, many times I have posted without changing any settings??

It's just the last couple of posts you've made that had the HTML. The
posts are first plain text, then have an HTML version tacked on the end.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old January 4th 04, 02:53 AM
C J Campbell

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
| C J Campbell wrote:
| "Peter Duniho" wrote in message
| [...]
| He shouldn't have used HTML (nor should anyone be posting to a
| newsgroup like this one using HTML
|
| OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that
| cannot properly interpret HTML?
|
| Does it matter? Usenet is a text-only medium and has always been.
| Many gateways automatically block any non-text article or articles with
| attachments (unless they are posted in one of the *.binary.* NGs). And I
for
| one am glad they do.
|
| If font and layout are more important to you than content, then you are
| welcome to go to some web board. But _PLEASE_ leave Usenet the way it is.

I have no plans to change Usenet. But you have to realize that text only
news readers will one day be as obsolescent as the buggy whip and the
Teletype. Neither you nor I will be able to stop it.

Old January 4th 04, 03:00 AM
G.R. Patterson III

C J Campbell wrote:

Induction icing does not sound like an "unspecified power problem."

It does to a reporter who doesn't know what induction icing is.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 4th 04, 12:03 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
| OTOH, what kind of benighted troglodyte still uses a newsreader that
| cannot properly interpret HTML?
| If font and layout are more important to you than content, then you are
| welcome to go to some web board. But _PLEASE_ leave Usenet the way it

is.

I have no plans to change Usenet. But you have to realize that text only
news readers will one day be as obsolescent as the buggy whip and the
Teletype. Neither you nor I will be able to stop it.

Or, as obsolete as the internal combustion engine...

Old January 4th 04, 01:48 PM
Robert Moore

Larry Fransson wrote
It's just the last couple of posts you've made that had the HTML. The
posts are first plain text, then have an HTML version tacked on the end.

That's the way they have appeared in "Xnews".

Bob Moore