F105 ACM Characteristics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 15th 03, 12:55 AM
Dudley Henriques

Default F105 ACM Characteristics

When my wife and I got back from our vacation this week I noticed in a
thread of some weeks ago that some of you were interested in the ACM
performance of the Thud.
Ed had commented briefly on it to Pechs, and indeed Ed would be my choice
for authoritative information on the 105.
Written material on the 105 specifically in the ACM environment is pretty
rare to come by. Individual units flying the bird have delved into the
subject from time to time with written regulation....(in order to attempt
keeping their pilots alive when and if engaged air to air with Migs .
If it helps any of you searching for such information, I know that Franny
Gerard )BrigGen Francis Gerard Commander NJANG and Paul Ando (LtCol Paul
Ando) put together a regulation for the Unit specifically written for the
Thud in ACM. It was AFM 3-1, Tri-Cmd 3-1, TACM 55-105, and TACM 51-105
friendly, but Franny put a lot of his own expertise with handling the Thud
into the Unit regulation, and if you can find a copy, it's very good on what
you can do with the 105 (the smaller section:-))) and what to avoid in the
105 (by far the larger section :-))) in the three dimensional ACM arena,
specifically with the Thud against lighter wing loaded adversaries like the
Mig21.
The reg is : 108thTFWR 55-2, April 1975. Don't ask me where the hell to find
one besides the one I own, (and I had to con Franny out of THAT one!!!)
but if this information helps you Thud interested folks out there in any
way, I'm pleased to offer the search tip.
In the meantime, there's Ed's book, which I would highly recommend as a
source of very good tactical information in all areas of interest with these
issues.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI