Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow

Old October 13th 05, 03:20 AM
Al Gilson

Default Lightspeed Headset Story-Wow

I have a Lightspeed 15XL ANR headset and I like it. It really cuts down
on the noise. However, when I pulled it out to go flying a couple of
weeks ago, I discivered that the headband was broken. I was depressed.
I have had it for about 18 months and I figured I was going to be
royally screwed trying to get it fixed. I called Lightspeed on Monday,
October 3rd-described my problem and they gave me a choice: Send it to
them for repair or they would send me a new headband.......no charge!
It looked simple so I opted for having the parts sent.

The new headband arrived on Wednesday. As I was dismantling the headset
on Wednesday evening I realized two things: First, I discovered another
broken part on the yoke that holds the earpiece, and secondly, these
puppies are a major pain to put together! With my tail between my legs
I called Lightspeed on Thursday again figuring that they were gonna say
"too bad, so sad. Now it will cost you."

Nope. They said, "Here's a return authorization number and send it
over." I sent the new headset back with it, plus the old parts via UPS
on Friday, Oct 7 and it arrived in Portland, OR on Monday the 10th.
They sent me an e-mail saying they got it and were doing the repair. On
Tuesday, I got another e-mail that said it had been shipped.

UPS delivered it today, Wednesday, October 12. New headband, and
earpiece yoke. Plus they replaced the ear seals! All no charge except
for the $6 I paid UPS to get it to them. I tested it out today and it's
as good as new.

I'm impressed. In this day and age of customer "no" service, these
folks did OK in my book.

- - -
Al
1964 Skyhawk
Spokane, WA KSFF
Old October 13th 05, 05:35 AM
Sylvain

Al Gilson wrote:
I'm impressed. In this day and age of customer "no" service, these
folks did OK in my book.

I had a similar experience with LightSpeed, i.e., me breaking
my headset, long past warrantee expiration, and them offering
multiple choices of repair (for pretty much nothing) or trade-in
for an upgrade (I picked the latter choice though); neat. When
time came to buy another headset (for passenger) the choice was
easy.

--Sylvain
Old October 13th 05, 10:17 AM
Scott Skylane

Skywise wrote:

I'm impressed. In this day and age of customer "no" service, these
folks did OK in my book.

That service is so impressive it almost makes me want to buy something
from them even though I don't fly (yet)!

That is almost unbelievable. Maybe there's hope for humans yet!

Brian

Brian,

Their service *is* impeccable, but only because it has to be. Buy
yourself a set of David Clarks, and you will most likely have no
Customer Service experience, what so ever.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old October 13th 05, 11:43 AM
Dan Luke

"Sylvain" wrote:

I'm impressed. In this day and age of customer "no" service, these
folks did OK in my book.

I had a similar experience with LightSpeed, i.e., me breaking
my headset, long past warrantee expiration, and them offering
multiple choices of repair (for pretty much nothing) or trade-in
for an upgrade (I picked the latter choice though); neat. When
time came to buy another headset (for passenger) the choice was
easy.

Bose treated me the same when I broke my set.

Seems like this is the norm in the aviation headset business, where
competition is fierce. Alas, that's in sharp contrast to the GA
avionics business, where choices are few.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old October 13th 05, 12:21 PM
Thomas Borchert

Dan,

Seems like this is the norm in the aviation headset business, where
competition is fierce.

Not at all. Google a little for messages in this group with regard to a
brand name starting with Pe... Google some more for a brand name
starting with D and C. You'll be surprised.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 13th 05, 12:21 PM
Thomas Borchert

Scott,

Their service *is* impeccable, but only because it has to be.

It simply ain't so. Or do you have any valid statistics to prove your
statement?

Here's what I observe: Lightspeed came out of nowhere into this already
crowded market - and now they are one of the top players, possibly
right at the top. They have been in that position for almost a decade,
with no "dents" in their sucess. Would they be this successful or would
the company even be commercially viable if a high percentage of sold
products would require repairs? Could they offer products as
feature-rich and innovative as they do for the comparatively low prices
that they have, if they had to spend most of their money on repairs?
That seems very unlikely - or selling aviation headsets has even better
margins than I assume it has.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old October 13th 05, 02:01 PM
bill

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 19:20:41 -0700, Al Gilson
wrote:

[...]

I had the same experience a few years ago. I bought some 20XL's, and
used them for quite a while. Suddenly, they quit working. No lights
came on the battery holder/control box. Just completely dead.

I figured, like you, that I'd be spending $$$ to repair them, but sent
them in since I really liked them and wanted them repaired.

I got them back with no invoice, nothing. I called, and the person I
spoke with said they just fixed them and sent them back, told me not
to worry about any charge.

I was shocked!

So last year when I needed to get some headsets so everyone in the
family (wife and 4 kids!) would have headsets I picked up 5 Solo SS
from them while at Oshkosh.

This year at Oshkosh I brough them some of the earcup seals to show
them how the material was wearing away, and they just pulled out new
earseals and handed them to me!

Replaced the ear seals on my 20xl's, and all my Solo SS's.

I was even more shocked! What absolutely awesome customer service and
support. I'm most likely a customer for life.

Bill Strahan
www.adventurepilot.com
Old October 13th 05, 02:12 PM
Jim Burns

I own 2 pair of 20XL's. The second set I bought direct from Lightspeed as a
used unit that someone traded in on an upgrade. So far, I've had to send
one set in for repair, the yokes had broken. I discovered that I had the
headband shortened up as short as it would go and then I tried to put them
on my fat head after they had been sitting in the plane when it was about 10
degees out. Snap.

Now everytime I put them on, I extend the head band fully, put them on, then
shorten them up to fit properly AFTER they are on my head.

Like you, Lightspeed fixed them at no charge, and replaced the ear seals.

Jim

Old October 13th 05, 02:50 PM
cwby-flyer

Scott Skylane wrote:
Their service *is* impeccable, but only because it has to be.

The early models of the Lightspeeds did have some design issues, and
Lightspeed itself admitted this to folks at Oshkosh a few years ago.
However, the newer designs are high quality headsets. My wife's got a
30-3G with zero problems and I'm looking to pickup a Mach 1 as a
Christmas present to myself :-). The cusotmer service experience I had
with my QFR XC's (which did break a few times) sold me on the company
and as long as they continue to stand behind this commitment, I will be
a customer. IMHO, companies that have good cusomter service need to be
encouraged, that way we, as cusumers, will ultimately benefit.

Mike
--
To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love aviation, the
sky is home.

- anon.