A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Old February 19th 19, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH
Old February 19th 19, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:05:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:
I know Sebastian Kawa and a few others never touch alcohol. Some racing pilots stay away around competitions. Others have a beer waiting on ice when they land.

Is it just a high performance athlete focusing thing - or is there more to it. I did a search and couldn't fined any discussions.

WH

God I love yacht clubs.
Old February 19th 19, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Why's that Jonathan?Â* Free beer?

On 2/19/2019 9:03 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 6:05:07 AM UTC-8, wrote:

WH

God I love yacht clubs.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 19th 19, 06:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh
external usenet poster

Very important for landouts. One for the pilot and one for the farmer.
Old February 19th 19, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Several things.......
Some is, no alcohol ever.
Some is, "I believe beyond the 8hrs bottle to throttle".....no, most sailplanes have no throttle. Alcohol is also a negative way to lose fluids, we can get dehydrated enough just from flying and then have to work harder to be physically ready for the next contest day. So what a person does at home is not what they may do at a contest. Even beyond 8hrs, senses are dulled a bit, so maybe part of the performance aspect.

Curious to see other replies.

As an aside, decades ago, for a contest finish, a call to the crew may be, "ice the beer" so the pilot knew they had home made and wanted a cold one. A contest for me (1996?) I called, "ice the baby bottle" (I had a several month old kidlet, wife was crew with said kidlet). I landed and was handed a baby bottle full of beer......sheesh, I love my wife....;-) this was at HHSC.....
Old February 19th 19, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 1:43:00 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Several things.......
Some is, no alcohol ever.
Some is, "I believe beyond the 8hrs bottle to throttle".....no, most sailplanes have no throttle. Alcohol is also a negative way to lose fluids, we can get dehydrated enough just from flying and then have to work harder to be physically ready for the next contest day. So what a person does at home is not what they may do at a contest. Even beyond 8hrs, senses are dulled a bit, so maybe part of the performance aspect.

Curious to see other replies.

As an aside, decades ago, for a contest finish, a call to the crew may be, "ice the beer" so the pilot knew they had home made and wanted a cold one.. A contest for me (1996?) I called, "ice the baby bottle" (I had a several month old kidlet, wife was crew with said kidlet). I landed and was handed a baby bottle full of beer......sheesh, I love my wife....;-) this was at HHSC.....

Just watch 'The Sun Ship Games'! There are several scenes where the pilots - after successfully making it home - were greeted by their crews with a cold one. Other scenes show chain-smoking pilots in the cockpits - not only in the glider but everywhere else! And these were the top pilots of their days... :-)

Uli
'AS'
Old February 19th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

WH

Are you kidding me!!! Why even fly if you cannot have a few cold brews after a good day. Down here in Florida we certainly enjoy our beer, calling it an early day to final glide home and open the cooler is always refreshing. Now we most always have a cold ice packed cooler with some excellent beers awaiting the thirsty pilots. Our favorite brands would be Becks, Stella, Pacifico and a few yuenglings. We are always careful to recycle the glass bottles, we want to keep the greenies like OAC happy.
Old February 19th 19, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

I used to carry home brew in my truck for just such a purpose.

On 2/19/2019 10:08 AM, George Haeh wrote:
Very important for landouts. One for the pilot and one for the farmer.

--
Dan, 5J
Old February 19th 19, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:

WH

I don't recall seeing any data that shows that alcohol consumption improves performance.
I have seen some examples of the opposite.
I know I sleep better when I don't drink.
Others may have different experiences.
UH
Old February 19th 19, 09:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks - UH

It actually was a serious question - I just watched Free Solo - a guy focused on a extremely technical sport. Doesn't drink.

I also have been around several people with Olympic medals - it varies but most only drink at the very end of the competition season - for the reasons of better rest/recovery, focus and no desire to relax.

I have seen a few Kawa interviews and heard him say "If I see a competitor go for a beer, I know I can beat them" - I believe he thought it was more physiological.

I just thought it was an interesting topic and given that many Contest pilots read this - thought there may be data/information on the subject.

WH