Garmin updates

Old May 7th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Garmin updates

Hello...

If you have a 530 or 430, does it accept the same updates? Or are the
updates specific to each machine. Also, if you have both in your
plane (one of each), do you have to purchase 2 updates?

I notice that some 530s come with 'terrain'... is this an option from
garmin? Can it be added later or do you have to upgrade the whole
unit?

Lastly, when waas becomes available... is it a simple software upgrade?
and any word on the charge of this upgrade?

Thanks,

-dr

Old May 7th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

The updated data card will work in either box but you need to purchase 2
updates. Both data cards must be the same cycle for the boxes to work.
Jeppesen does give you a bit of a break for the multi unit updates. Don

oups.com...

Old May 7th 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 6 May 2006 16:01:49 -0700, "Dico" wrote:

Hello...

If you have a 530 or 430, does it accept the same updates? Or are the
updates specific to each machine. Also, if you have both in your
plane (one of each), do you have to purchase 2 updates?

Jepp sells a discounted "two unit in same aircraft" package for the
GNS400 and 500 series. I'd expect that package ($480/yr instead of
$365 each US for the americas coverage) would cover both units in the
same aircraft regardless of what combination of 400 and 500 series
units are installed.

You need to purchase the special Jepp programmer - unlike the G1000 it
won't work in a normal card reader.
Old May 7th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Can you keep one box current and the 2nd box not current and still be
legal?

-dr

Old May 7th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
Can you keep one box current and the 2nd box not current and still be
legal?

-dr

Yes, but you can't crossfill flight plans from one to the other, unless
they are both updated. Otherwise they work fine.
Old May 7th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Do the 430/530 cross fill to the 480 as well?

Also, I read somewhere that the 480 doesn't have to be updated
regularly to be current -- as long as the airports you've filed for are
up to date in your 480. Is that correct?

-dr

Old May 8th 06, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:
Do the 430/530 cross fill to the 480 as well?

Don't know from personal experience, but I don't think so.

Also, I read somewhere that the 480 doesn't have to be updated
regularly to be current -- as long as the airports you've filed for are
up to date in your 480. Is that correct?

The answer is specific to the aircraft in which it's installed. The requirement
for a current database is spelled out in the Approved Flight Manual Supplement
that gets added to your POH when you do the install. The AFMS boilerplate that
comes with the 480, which is what gets sent to OK City for the approval, has
words to the effect that the database entries for the approaches in use have to
be verified current by the pilot. That's probably what you meant. Has nothing to
do with filing.
Old May 8th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Dico wrote:

snip
Lastly, when waas becomes available... is it a simple software upgrade?
and any word on the charge of this upgrade?

My understanding (based on the fact that I am on the list for the 430
upgrade) is that there are both hardware and software changes that will
need to be made to the unit. Therefore, the unit will need to be sent back
to Garmin for an as-yet unspecified amount of time.

One pilot in another newsgroup made the humorous comment that for the
upgrade, Garmin is going to rip off the face place of your current unit and
glue it onto a completely new unit.

--
Peter
Old May 8th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Haha! Wouldn't surprise me... probably cheaper to do that than
actually do any amount of hardware/software upgrades.

If Dell can deliver an entire computer system to my door for $299
Canadian, I'm guessing that it costs less to put together one of these
boxes.... the upgrade will probably run us 2 or 3 Dell systems!

-dr

Old May 12th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 8-May-2006, "Dico" wrote:

If Dell can deliver an entire computer system to my door for $299
Canadian, I'm guessing that it costs less to put together one of these
boxes.... the upgrade will probably run us 2 or 3 Dell systems!

If panel-mounted, IFR-certified GPS/NAV/COM units were bought in the volumes
that personal computers are, the GNS-430 would probably cost a few hundred
dollars. They would be manufactured in China, and there would be a dozen
companies competing for the business. Send one to the manufacturer for a
hardware upgrade? No way -- you would just buy a new one.

Bottom line: in electronics, cost of the product is far more sensitive to
manufacturing volume than it is to its functional sophistication or
complexity.

-Elliott Drucker