Left or Right?

Old August 20th 03, 02:34 AM
Daniel

Default Left or Right?

Picked up the mail today & found yet another catalog from an aviation
supplier. Flipped it open & landed on a page with a variety of safety
wire pliers. The usual assortment, long & short, auto return, special
long reach types, etc. Then it struck me, one model of 9" fairly
standard design pliers was offered in both a right hand twist and a
left hand twist. No other difference. Why? I can't imagine what
difference it could possibly make.

Daniel
Old August 20th 03, 03:00 AM
Rich S.

"Daniel" wrote in message
om...
Picked up the mail today & found yet another catalog from an aviation
supplier. Flipped it open & landed on a page with a variety of safety
wire pliers. The usual assortment, long & short, auto return, special
long reach types, etc. Then it struck me, one model of 9" fairly
standard design pliers was offered in both a right hand twist and a
left hand twist. No other difference. Why? I can't imagine what
difference it could possibly make.

When you are wiring two bolt heads together, such as prop bolts, the first
one is twisted one direction and the second one is twisted the other. If you
only have one set of pliers, you use the automatic twist feature to make the
long twist between bolts. Then the short, final twist at the other side of
the second bolt is done by hand in the opposite direction. The advantage is
the wire which goes around the bolt head stays in place. Doing it the other
way tend to move the wire so it crosses the top of the bolt head.

A bit difficult to visualize, but a bit of practice will make it clear.

Rich S.

Old August 20th 03, 08:58 PM
paddydix

That is true ,..and please add in some Repair manuals if the left or right
hand is is called for IT HAS TO BE DONE or it will not pass FAA.
"Rich S." wrote in message
om...

Old August 20th 03, 10:34 PM
Rich S.

"paddydix" wrote in message
nk.net...
That is true ,..and please add in some Repair manuals if the left or right
hand is is called for IT HAS TO BE DONE or it will not pass FAA.

No need to shout, Paddy. I won't add that bit of advice because this is the
homebuilt newsgroup. An aircraft certificated under the Experimental Amateur
built class need not comply with a repair manual. You can glue your nuts on
using Barge's All Purpose Sealer if'n you want.

Rich "Mebbe I should rephrase that???" S.

Old August 21st 03, 01:15 AM
Larry

--snip-- Doing it the other
way tend to move the wire so it crosses the top of the bolt head.

I wish we had a left-handed set when I was working the flight deck on the
USS Kennedy. I used to reach in (arms length) and wire several cannon plugs
that could only be seen with an inspection mirror. UGH!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

"Rich S." wrote in message
om...

Old August 21st 03, 03:15 AM
Daniel

Rich S. wrote ...

When you are wiring two bolt heads together, such as prop bolts, the first
one is twisted one direction and the second one is twisted the other.
...The advantage is
the wire which goes around the bolt head stays in place. Doing it the other
way tend to move the wire so it crosses the top of the bolt head.

A bit difficult to visualize, but a bit of practice will make it clear.

Thanks! Found some good visuals in AC43.13-1B (where I should have
looked in the first place). Chapter 7 Section 7. For those who want
to look it up & don't have it, the AC is available in Word format at:
http://av-info.faa.gov/dst/43-13/

And if you don't have Word, you can get the free Word Viewer at:
http://office.microsoft.com/download...wd97vwr32.aspx

Daniel
Old August 22nd 03, 09:26 AM
B2431

I wish we had a left-handed set when I was working the flight deck on the
USS Kennedy. I used to reach in (arms length) and wire several cannon plugs
that could only be seen with an inspection mirror. UGH!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

I worked on F-4E and other mangles that had the same problem. The engineering
people never heard of locking cannon plugs.

The shock mount people aren't clever either. I can think of a few that required
serious contortions to safety.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old August 22nd 03, 03:36 PM
Bill Higdon

B2431 wrote:
I wish we had a left-handed set when I was working the flight deck on the
USS Kennedy. I used to reach in (arms length) and wire several cannon plugs
that could only be seen with an inspection mirror. UGH!

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

I worked on F-4E and other mangles that had the same problem. The engineering
people never heard of locking cannon plugs.

The shock mount people aren't clever either. I can think of a few that required
serious contortions to safety.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Dan,
Which version of E did you work on? I worked for a year at Hill AFB on
the Slat Mod line. Did you ever put the INS Can in the RO's console?
Bill Higdon

Old August 23rd 03, 05:16 AM
B2431

Dan,
Which version of E did you work on? I worked for a year at Hill AFB on
the Slat Mod line. Did you ever put the INS Can in the RO's console?
Bill Higdon

Geeze, that's back in 1978 - 1980, Hahn AB, 50 FW. We had TISEO and non TISEO.
I don't recall what blocks they were.

The INS platform was no thrill, but having to change the battery was worse.

My theory is they hung 4 ropes from a ceiling, suspended an engine from each of
the first two, the CADC from the third and battery from the fourth. Then they
built the aircraft around them.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old August 23rd 03, 07:15 AM
Bill Higdon

B2431 wrote:
Dan,
Which version of E did you work on? I worked for a year at Hill AFB on
the Slat Mod line. Did you ever put the INS Can in the RO's console?
Bill Higdon

Geeze, that's back in 1978 - 1980, Hahn AB, 50 FW. We had TISEO and non TISEO.
I don't recall what blocks they were.

The INS platform was no thrill, but having to change the battery was worse.

My theory is they hung 4 ropes from a ceiling, suspended an engine from each of
the first two, the CADC from the third and battery from the fourth. Then they
built the aircraft around them.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Sounds about right for Old McDonnells pig farm :), I hated to work on them.
Bill Higdon