Engine throttle

Old December 4th 04, 01:07 PM
DeltaDeltaDelta

Bob: to your earlier post about some a/c starting rolling with brakes on:
well it's quite common on some types of a/c. The Reims Rocket, for example,
at full throttle will jump on ahead no matter how much brakes you apply.
During engine test, the only way we keep it from moving is to put massive
chocks and tie the whole thing down (and if possible, rev it at the lowest
speed possible for a successful test)... Types (strength) of brakes are
fitted in relation to the landing speed and a/c MTOW - i.e. in relation to
the kinetic energy and inertia the a/c has upon landing (simply speaking).
They are not in relation (at least not directly) to engine power. So, if
you, say, put a 250 HP engine into a Skyhawk, rev it up to max RPM and hold
the brakes, it'll start edging forward slowly.

Triple Delta

"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
om...
snip What approach speed do you use on that Spitfire.

I'm supposed to watch my speed in addition to altitude, attitude, yaw,
the horizon, and enjoy the scenery too? And then there's the question
of German's lurking about, waiting to pounce on me. But I guess they'd
probably have a hard time getting all the way to Vancouver.... ;^)
Any, I certainly wasn't going very fast. I'd throttled back to about
1/3 power, had full flaps, and the approach was from a low altitude,
not a power dive.

Another question (I have lots of them, but I'll end with this one): I
can barely get the Concorde to lift off the runway. It's hard to
believe that the main runway at Vancouver isn't long enough. In fact,
an actual Concorde visited Vancouver during Expo '86 and must have
used that runway. Am I doing something wrong. There don't seem to be
any flaps or controls for flaps.

Do tail-less deltas even have flaps? I know Concorde has none. Are
you sure you're using full thrust and no breaks. Also, what is your
take-off speed? Remember that Sacremento ice cream store disaster of
the early 1970's?

snip No, I don't recall the ice cream store disaster. What
happenened? I tried another takeoff and watched the speed dial. I was
at 250 knots, and still sticking firmly to the runway, and then the
mud flats, and then careering madly across Georgia Strait. X-Plane
disasters are pretty silly.

Bob

Old December 8th 04, 10:28 PM
Les

A large delta aircraft like Concorde needs no flaps as the large wing
area traps a cushion of air beneath it and the ground during landing.
Also the characturistic nose high attitude of deltas on landing not
only provides hi lift but hi drag too. Perhaps when you was taking off
in that Concord you allowed the nose to rise too high. Beleive it or
not correct technique for take off in most deltas was to lift the nose
wheel only a few feet from the runway and the aircraft would rise on
attaining correct airspeed.

Old December 11th 04, 07:17 PM
David CL Francis

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 at 14:28:29 in message
.com, Les
wrote:
A large delta aircraft like Concorde needs no flaps as the large wing
area traps a cushion of air beneath it and the ground during landing.
Also the characturistic nose high attitude of deltas on landing not
only provides hi lift but hi drag too. Perhaps when you was taking off
in that Concord you allowed the nose to rise too high. Beleive it or
not correct technique for take off in most deltas was to lift the nose
wheel only a few feet from the runway and the aircraft would rise on
attaining correct airspeed.

Abridged Concorde Take off from book 'Flying Concorde' by Brian Calvert
(Speeds only apply to the particular take off described).

Afterburners are armed, clocks are started and throttles advanced to
maximum.

At 100 knots four greens showing full engine power and afterburners are
confirmed. "Power checked"

Decision speed (V1) is 165 knots

At 192 knots 'Rotate'

A tug on the column to lift the nose then a smooth rotation to 13.5
degrees nose up. During that the Concorde leaves the ground at 205
knots. It is held at 13.5 degrees nose up.

V2 is confirmed at 221 knots. As the speed builds the nose is pulled up
to 18 degrees. Then usually the nose is pushed down to 12 degrees,
afterburners are cut and the throttles pulled back to a noise reducing
setting maintaining a speed of 250 knots.
--
David CL Francis

ROP masking of engine problems Roger Long Piloting 1 September 25th 04 07:13 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Autorotation ? R22 for the Experts Eric D Rotorcraft 22 March 5th 04 06:11 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM