Soaring Safaris / Encampments Worldwide

Old February 3rd 05, 02:24 AM
SoarBooks

Default Soaring Safaris / Encampments Worldwide

February 2, 2005

Greetings To All Glider Pilots,
This is just a note to solicit announcements and accounts of year 2004-2005
glider safaris and encampments around the world. Ideally, I'd like this posting
to start a thread on this newsgroup about recent and future encampments and
safaris for glider pilots worldwide.

For many of us, safaris and encampment mean one thing only: Fun! The excitement
of flying gliders at a new site or over new terrain is in equal parts
exhilirating and contagious. Attending a soaring safari or encampment with your
soaring friends means that, when the soaring day comes to an end, you will
enjoy the pleasant company of your gliding friends in the evening, conversing
about your accomplishments (or disappointments!) while sitting in a
comfortable motel room or perhaps gathered around a campfire out in the open
near the gliderport.

Got a story? Want to make an announcement? Please post it here! I'd like to
take the best of the posts and incorporate them into my presentation at the
American national soaring convention in early February 2005. All remarks that I
make there will include attribution, so please sign your name or call sign to
your posts, and identify the country in which you reside.

Thanks and safe soaring,
Bob Wander
USA
email:
website:
www.bobwander.com
-end

Old February 3rd 05, 03:08 AM

Marfa Thermal & Wave Camp
March 19-26, 2005
Led by soaring legend Dick Johnson, glider pilots bring their
sailplanes to Marfa to thermal up to our springtime wave. Gold
Altitude plus, as we have a ATC Window to 30,000' msl. Marfa Airport
(MRF) field elevation is 5,000' msl. "Marfa Gliders" FBO operates
year-round providing aerotows, instruction and checkrides. Marfa is on
a grassy plateau between Carlsbad Caverns and Big Bend National Parks -
near the Davis Mountains of west Texas.

Fly where "The Sun Ship Game" soaring movie was filmed, and the site of
the 1970 World Soaring Contest. (Bob Wander has flown with us -
making two trips down to Marfa recently, so you know it's worth the
long trip to this beautiful soaring site!)

Visit Marfa anytime of year - we'll show you a good time!
Burt & Kathie Compton
Marfa Gliders website: www.flygliders.com

Old February 3rd 05, 09:55 PM
Sebastiaan

The Dutch Groninger Studenten Aeroclub is organising a summercamp in the
Czech Republic. They fly Ka-7's and Ka-8. They camp lasts for 4 weeks
and there are a lot of young people there, who fly solo there for the
first time. However, there are also quite a lot of License holders and
the camp is open to everybody. Every day ends around the campfire.

More information: www.zweefvliegvakantie.nl /

Some pictures can be found on
http://cuba.calyx.nl:8080/~gsa2004/2004/zomerkampJose/

Sebastiaan (The Netherlands)