CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Old January 17th 04, 06:26 AM
David H

Default CBS "News" strikes AGAIN

Here we go again....

Tonight the CBS Evening "News" [sic] ran a story about the apparently
drunk pilot idiot who busted Philadelphia's airspace, buzzed a variety
of things and apparently was able to land his Cherokee despite be
hammered.

The CBS twist on the story? "We told you about the dangers posed by so
called general aviation...now this..."
They asked, "why weren't air force fighters scrambled to intercept and
shoot down this plane?"

Hmmmm. OK, then why don't we just get the Army to shoot anyone
suspected of drunk driving?

Frigging morons.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

Old January 17th 04, 07:20 AM
Jordan

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:26:47 -0800, David H wrote:

Here we go again....

Tonight the CBS Evening "News" [sic] ran a story about the apparently
drunk pilot idiot who busted Philadelphia's airspace, buzzed a variety
of things and apparently was able to land his Cherokee despite be
hammered.

The CBS twist on the story? "We told you about the dangers posed by so
called general aviation...now this..."
They asked, "why weren't air force fighters scrambled to intercept and
shoot down this plane?"

Hmmmm. OK, then why don't we just get the Army to shoot anyone
suspected of drunk driving?

Frigging morons.

David H
Boeing Field (BFI), Seattle, WA
Visit the Pacific Northwest Flying forum:
http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/pnwflying

If the plane was shot down there'd probly have been alot of damage and
at least one fatality from the impact. Doesn't the general public have
any critical thinking skills whatsoever?
Old January 17th 04, 07:27 AM
Paul Folbrecht

Yes, they do. The media, however, doesn't.

Old January 17th 04, 08:05 AM
C J Campbell

My reply:

Your hysterical anti-general aviation piece was bad enough. Now I understand
that you are demanding to know why the drunken pilot in Philadelphia was not
shot down by the military. Do you really think that is an appropriate
response? Should drunk drivers be shot by state troopers on sight? Are you
now recommending the death penalty for any form of drunkenness? Without
trial? Or are you just interested in shooting pilots? Were you not concerned
about the safety of innocent bystanders on the ground that might be hit by
the flaming wreckage or spent anti-aircraft munitions? What if the pilot had
had his family on board?

I can see your news story now: "Bush administration orders airplane with
family of four on board shot down. Husband, wife, and two small children
killed. See our full report on this outrage at 11." I sure bet that you
would not be reminding viewers that this was your idea in the first place.

Maybe you would like to shoot school children or mothers, too. Who else
would you like to shoot? Republicans? Baptists? Anybody that Dan Rather does
not like?

Your network has gone so far off the deep end that I will never watch it
again. Ever. In fact, I will probably disconnect my cable service and maybe
even give my TV away.

You have so outraged the aviation community with these broadcasts that I
suspect that tens of thousands of pilots feel the way I do. Although I would
not condone it, I would not be surprised if there is violence as a result of
your irresponsible reporting. You have harmed not only yourselves, but have
brought the integrity of the entire news reporting industry into question.

Whoever made this report should be fired immediately and a public apology
given.

Old January 17th 04, 08:31 AM
Jordan

Ok I thought of something else. Does anyone know if celebrity pilots
like Travolta and Ford are at all active on these issues? You'd think
Travolta would have something to say given his airport living
arrangements. Then the general public might actually listen.
Old January 17th 04, 09:49 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:26:47 -0800, David H wrote:

Here we go again....

Tonight the CBS Evening "News" [sic] ran a story about the apparently
drunk pilot idiot who busted Philadelphia's airspace, buzzed a variety
of things and apparently was able to land his Cherokee despite be
hammered.

The CBS twist on the story? "We told you about the dangers posed by so
called general aviation...now this..."
They asked, "why weren't air force fighters scrambled to intercept and
shoot down this plane?"

Can you imagine the damage on the ground caused by an F-16 or 15
shooting down a low flying small plane over a populated area?
That would be a disaster no amount of spin could change. The public
outcry could easily cripple valid air patrols.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old January 17th 04, 03:04 PM
Jim

Not to mention the dozens of pilots that actually work for the media such as
Bob Arnot and Hugh Downs, they must be rolling their eyes.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old January 17th 04, 03:39 PM
Judah

More importantly, how much does it cost to fly a sortie of F-16s and
deliver a payload to destroy a Cherokee.

The rocket that they would shoot at it would cost about 10x what the
Cherokee does!

Roger Halstead wrote in
:

Old January 17th 04, 03:43 PM
Bill Denton

I don't remember when it was or what the subject was, but I do remember a
few years ago seeing Arnot say something like: "The information in our
report last week was just totally wrong".

And I think a lot of reporters will change their tune when they realize that
if all of this keeps up they'll be driving through the boondocks instead of
riding a nice Part 135 air taxi!