"...but I don't have a lathe."

Old September 7th 08, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Default "...but I don't have a lathe."

Michael Horowitz wrote:
On 17 Aug 2005 10:57:42 -0700, wrote:

"...but I don't have a lathe."

in this article, Bob describes how to chuck something like a 2"
washer (using a coupling) so that one can reduce the washer's
diameter.

I'm staring at a piece of 11/16" 4130 steel tubing, three inches long
which is supposed to slip into a piece of 3/4 OD tubing and act as an
inner sleeve. this inner-sleeve-to-be needs to be turned just a
scooch so that it will fit.

It seems to me that there must be a simply way to do this; I
immediately go to to the most Rube Goldberg arrangement I can dream
up.

At the moment I'm thinking of turning down two washers so that they
matches the ID of the work piece; that will keep the work centered on
a piece of threaded rod.

Open to other ideas - MIke

If your live end cone is big enough that takes care of that end. A
wood dowel forced into the other end takes care of that end. Make your
own dowel and LEAVE it in the chuck when you put the tube over it. If
you move the wood it will never again be true to you.

If you'd rather use a metal dowel/tube you may need to use Locktite™
to keep it from slipping. That's where the fun ends, removing the metal
dowel/tube is a great deal of fun since heating everything to at least
300º to soften the Locktite™. Again, leave the dowel/tube in the chuck
until you are done working.

There is a third way if you have a piece of round stock long enough
to go through the tube. The round stock has to be greater in diameter
than the ID of the tube. Start by using a center drill on the end of the
round stock to put your live end into to prevent wobble. Then turn the
round stock down so you have a length longer than the tube and a slip
fit. You then thread the end and use a washer and nut to secure the
tube. The nut should tighten the tube against the shoulder where you
turned down the round stock, not the chuck. Tightening against the chuck
will ensure you pull the round stock out of the chuck when you tighten
the nut. Again, leave the round stock in the chuck until the work is
complete. Hex stock can also be used.

BTW, you shouldn't use technical terms like "a scooch" in this group
since it is obscure. I prefer "a tad."

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old September 7th 08, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ernest Christley

Charles Vincent wrote:
Michael Horowitz wrote:
At the moment I'm thinking of turning down two washers so that they
matches the ID of the work piece; that will keep the work centered on
a piece of threaded rod.
Open to other ideas - MIke

How much needs to be taken off?

Charles

Put the two washers in a piece of threaded rod. A couple more washers,
that fit the ID of the tube, on the inside to locate the tube. Go easy
with a file, or even a piece of plumber's tape.

The chuck out of a burned up drill, sunk into a piece of hardwood, makes
a nice live center in a pinch.
Old September 7th 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Here's how I ended up 'chucking' the tubing.
I used Bob's trick to reduce the diameter of 4 washers to just
smaller than the ID of the tubing.
I mounted this combination on a piece of threaded rod at either end of
the rod sticking out of the tube: nut, washer, grommet,washer,nut.
When I tightened the nut, the grommet expanded and held the tube in
place from the inside.

I"ll keep my eye open for a dead drill so I can use the chuck as a
'tailstock'

Now the mystery..... the ID of the outer tube should have been .694
and the OD of the inner tube .680, giving me .014. I thought I'd be
able to slip that right in, but ended up having to turn it down.

I'm going out there and remeasure the ID of the new stuff

I'm back. The stuff I ordered was advertised as 11/16 which if you
divide = .680
The measured OD of the 3/4" tube minus 2x the wall thickness of .028
gives an ID of .694.
The 11/16 should slip in.
An actual measurement of the 11/16 yields .690! .010 thicker than
expected.

Is this lack of precision to be expected and planned for? - Mike

Old September 7th 08, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

Michael Horowitz wrote:
[...]

Industry standards give plus or minus tolerances. There is such a
thing as precision stock, but you pay for it. Structural tubing rarely
requires a high degree of precision.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old September 8th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

On Sun, 07 Sep 2008 09:39:18 -0500, Dan wrote:

Charles Vincent wrote:
Michael Horowitz wrote:
[...]

He said a "scooch" which could mean "as much as can be removed using
emery cloth while watching the news" or "just enough so I don't need a
BFH to make it fit."

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Is a "scooch" the same as when us Irish say "A Wee Bit"?

Big John

Why is Soaring declining f.blair Soaring 266 February 7th 09 01:58 PM
Antique ex-freon now used as air compressor seen this type? Jason D. Home Built 12 November 17th 04 04:07 PM
Non-Flying Ladders Veeduber Home Built 5 July 10th 04 05:15 AM
Lathe Help Bruce A. Frank Home Built 15 February 7th 04 10:05 AM