Sky King!

Old November 30th 07, 04:16 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Default Sky King!

Scubabix wrote:
"Lonnie J. Potter" wrote in message
.. .
Worked Cemetery Net and GIANT TALK and Emergency Action Messages (EAM's)
for 3 years in Belgium.

Echo Five Papa Romeo

Lonnie

"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..
Oviedo wrote:
"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..
Tom Callahan wrote:
Thanks. They are super. I sent the links to people I know who are
trying to learn English as a second language. The plots are good, the
dialogue crisp and clear, no worry about profanity, etc. There are
more
uses for this kind of nostalgia than you imagined, Tom in Pensacola

"AJ" wrote in message
. ..
A blast from the past -- free online!

http://media.af.tv/series/skyking/skyking-1.wmv
http://media.af.tv/series/skyking/skyking-2.wmv

Oh yah ... Sky King. I had the hots for Penny from about 1955 on .....
Sky King was one of several reasons that I started flying lessons when
was 14. I wanted to do Penny so bad ... anyway ...

By the way, I know that the real trivia-minded amongst us will remember
hearing "Sky King, Sky King -- Do Not Answer -- " followed by a bunch
of
phonetic alphabet letters .. heard on the HF Shortwave bands. That was
the one-way recall message sent to our USAF Nuke carrying aircraft
circling at the "Alpha Point" just on the other side of Soviet Air
Space.

Cheersd,

Dave
Sky King, Sky King, do not answer. Message follows: Sierra, Alpha,
Charlie,
Sierra, Uniform, Charlie, Kilo, Sierra. Message out!

Aha! someone else here has "been there done that ..."

Cheers,

Dave

Any VP aircrew out there remember that too? I never flew the flights
operationally but was in the training squadron doing simulators.
Rob

Ah yes, the old Cemetery Net. I was a fill-in Net operator on the NATO
Net when I was at the 8th ID 1980-83. I have in my possession one of
the original Vibroplex Blue Racer military model Morse keys used by the
net at US Army Europe HQ. After the Manual Morse net folded in 1978,
the key was used by DA1US, the HQ USAREUR Ham and MARS station, on the
Manual Morse traffic channel between Heidelberg and Fort Monmouth, NJ.
Along the way, the whole station inventory was reviewed and several
Vibroplexes were excess to the station TDA. Some of us were given the
opportunity to apply for a permanent issue to us as individual Amateur
Radio MARS operators.

That key has been in use ever since, as DA1BB for 4 years, VP2EHF for
almost 10 years, and now as N4CVX. You can hear me on the 30 meter
band, usually around 10.123.5 Mhz in the early morning (CST). You will
hear that key "working". It keys a home brew 1 watt CW transmitter into
a G5RV Antenna; the receiver is a Kenwood TS-830S with optional narrow
filter packs.

73's!

Dave

PS: The attached photo is NOT a Vibroplex Morse key.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Liberty L-8A experimental No. 1 front.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	19714
Old November 30th 07, 07:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke

"CWO4 Dave Mann" wrote in message
. ..

PS: The attached photo is NOT a Vibroplex Morse key.

Hispano-Suiza 180?

Luke

Old November 30th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

[...]

I wonder if I could put one of those in my Studebaker...

JT

Old December 1st 07, 02:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Wx Guesser

AJ wrote:
A blast from the past -- free online!

I used to watch Sky King every Saturday morning when I was a kid. Thanks
for the memories.