Experimental Airworthiness

Old June 30th 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PS

Default Experimental Airworthiness

I just purchased a glider that has a Special Airworthiness Cert.,
Experimental Category, Exhibition and Racing. The "Date of Issuance"
was 5/6/1983, as was the Operating Limitations and log entry. To the
right of the Issuance date on the certificate is the "Expiry" which
shows one year later as 5/5/1984. The operating limitations makes no
mention of an expiration, in fact it has the paragraph stating that
"no person shall operate...unless condition inspections are done in
the preceding 12 months" (which would be for the second and future
years), and it mentions condition inspections (plural) are to be
recorded. The entry in the log by the same FAA Rep. makes no mention
of an expiration.

This would have me think that the intent of the FAA representative was
to make the certificate of unlimited duration as I would expect. The
FAA database also shows no problems that I can tell, such as an
expired airworthiness certificate. Is this typical to have an "Expiry"
date on the cert. or do I have an issue? I hate to lose my loose
operating limitations by having to apply again. Can anyone explain?
Old June 30th 09, 05:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 29, 9:13*pm, PS wrote:
[...]

Expiry means expired. My company has two ships we use for R&D, they
are both "Expiry" and had to get a ferry permit. We now half to
reapply for a new cert.

Put it back to stock and try to get you Std ATC back.

aerodyne
Old June 30th 09, 06:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Jun 29, 9:13=A0pm, PS wrote:
[...]

********
Buy the FAA records on the plane and see if it got a new Airworthiness at
some time. If not, you should be able to apply for a new airworthiness
certificate. Try to get them to leave the limitations as they are, but
don't be surprised if you get stuck with the current limitations which
require a yearly program letter, etc.

Not too long after the moratorium came into effect, I was able to get
ammended limitations on one of my gliders to put the gross weight back up
where it had been before the most recent set was issued. Didn't get the
requirement for a program letter. Maybe you can have similar luck.

But as it stands now, in the eyes of the FAA, if your airworthiness
certificate has an expiration date in the past, and you don't have a
subesquent one, your airplane is not airworthy.

Steve

Old June 30th 09, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Jun 29, 9:26*pm, wrote:

Put it back to stock and try to get you Std ATC back.

This is likely an imported sailplane for which an approved type
certificate was never available in the US, so there probably is no
"Std ATC" to get back. For example, all Schleicher ASW-20 in the US
carry Experimental, Racing or Experimental, Exhibition special
airworthiness certificates.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old June 30th 09, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

On Jun 29, 10:16*pm, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:26*pm, wrote:

Put it back to stock and try to get you Std ATC back.

This is likely an imported sailplane for which an approved type
certificate was never available in the US, so there probably is no
"Std ATC" to get back. For example, all Schleicher ASW-20 in the US
carry Experimental, Racing or Experimental, Exhibition special
airworthiness certificates.

Thanks, Bob K.

Hey! Don't leave out my beloved Speed Astir!! (Amongst MANY others ;-
p )
Old June 30th 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara[_2_]

Read the certificate....many operators might be surprised to find the
gliders or aircraft they are flying with experimental certificates have
limitations and have expired...hence are illegal to operate...the
certificate and the associated operating limitations were issued to the
owner's aircraft by their controlling agency (FSDO) and can apply to
operations by that aircraft while it is under the jurisdiction of that
issuing agency...when it is sold and moved the certificate and limitations
unless otherwise stated in the same are null and void....
tim

Old June 30th 09, 06:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 30, 12:13*am, PS wrote:
[...]

Reading of text will probably show that this date is 12 months to the
day from issuance.
This requires condition inspection after which it would be good for 12
months to the day.
read the paragrapg related to condition inspection.
Duration, other than that condition, was unlimited and none had
geographical limitations, to my knowledge.
All of that changed when new rules were published effective 7/9/97.
After that time, the current requirements
to be controlled by your local district office, area limitatiions,
etc., went into effect.
DON'T lose your old limitations, you likely would not get them again.
That said, read what the text says and comply.
Good luck
UH
Old June 30th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PS

On Jun 30, 1:10*pm, wrote:
On Jun 30, 12:13*am, PS wrote:

[...]

UH- Hide quoted text -

Thanks UH, I like your interpretation best. I would feel more
comfortable with this if the operating limitations more clearly stated
that a condition inspection would extend the special airworthiness
cert. for another 12 months. Are you saying that since the operating
limitations do not state an expiration, but instead state that
condition inspections are required every 12 months, that this
supersedes the expiration date shown on the airworthiness certificate
(which was one year from the issue date)?? Is there an FAA Order or an
FAA rep. that can clarify this?
Old June 30th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jun 30, 3:28*pm, PS wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:10*pm, wrote:

On Jun 30, 12:13*am, PS wrote:

[...]

FAA rep. that can clarify this?- Hide quoted text -

To be safe, you could take your docs to your local district office for
interpretation.
That said, you might not like what they say. These days they really
want to control activity on Experimental- Exhibition and Air Racing
licensed ships.
I would be surprised if you certificate is not unlimited, subject to
condition inspections.
UH