Dimensions NEEDED

Old September 4th 05, 03:59 AM
jerry wass

Default Dimensions NEEDED

Anybody know how the cylinder studs/ thru-bolts are located on the old

E-185-225 series Cont. Engines ?? Usually one of 2 ways, either a bolt
circle diameter with so many degrees offset from a horiz or vert C/L of
the bore of the cylinder-----Or, rectangular measurements from a horiz.
and /or vert. line .

Thanx ahead 'o time,

muddled motor man
Old September 4th 05, 04:19 AM
Scott Derrick

I have a pusher airplane with a nose oil cooler.

I am replacing the existing heavy hydraulic type(rubber/braided steel)
oil cooler lines with lighter metal lines. Either soft Aluminum or soft
copper 1/2 lines.

First question. I would like to use the lines as my ground return and
remove the 2 AWG wire I have now. Good idea?

Second question. Which would be better, or possibly which would be
worse and why? Copper or Aluminum.. Aluminum would be lighter but
copper offers a better ground return(less resistance). I have a big
engine and the starter needs all the current I can muster.

Scott
Old September 5th 05, 07:48 PM
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Scott Derrick wrote:
I have a pusher airplane with a nose oil cooler.

I am replacing the existing heavy hydraulic type(rubber/braided steel)
oil cooler lines with lighter metal lines. Either soft Aluminum or soft
copper 1/2 lines.

First question. I would like to use the lines as my ground return and
remove the 2 AWG wire I have now. Good idea?

*DAMN*STUPID* one!

Consider the cross-section area of #2 wire,
then compare with the cross-section area of the walls of the tubing.

Without considering what happens if/when a line _breaks_.

"Instant" spark across the gap, With a ready supply of fuel being delivered
to the scene.

Second question. Which would be better, or possibly which would be
worse and why? Copper or Aluminum.. Aluminum would be lighter but
copper offers a better ground return(less resistance). I have a big
engine and the starter needs all the current I can muster.

For the same current load, you need (minimum) 1 gauge larger wire, if AL,
vs what you need for Cu. That equates to circa 30% more material, by
volume. Which negates a fair bit of weight difference.

Your last statement *should* answer your question. for max current
transfer efficiency, use the best conductor you can, at the largest size
you can justify.

Scott

Old September 6th 05, 04:07 AM
Morgans

"Scott Derrick" wrote in message
I have a pusher airplane with a nose oil cooler.

I am replacing the existing heavy hydraulic type(rubber/braided steel)
oil cooler lines with lighter metal lines. Either soft Aluminum or soft
copper 1/2 lines.

I would NEVER use copper for an important thing like an oil line, on
anything that has a motor, and vibration. Copper will work harden from the
vibration, and fail. Not "if" but "when." It will happen, if there is any
possibility of flexing.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 6th 05, 09:39 PM
Don Hammer

I would NEVER use copper for an important thing like an oil line, on
anything that has a motor, and vibration. Copper will work harden from the
vibration, and fail. Not "if" but "when." It will happen, if there is any
possibility of flexing.

That's two things you shouldn never do. Copper lines and use any
fluid line as a ground.
Old September 6th 05, 11:45 PM
Morgans

"Don Hammer" wrote in message
news:1126039198.a572e3b81309f32dba604a668d4c9128@t eranews...

I would NEVER use copper for an important thing like an oil line, on
anything that has a motor, and vibration. Copper will work harden from

the
vibration, and fail. Not "if" but "when." It will happen, if there is

any
possibility of flexing.

That's two things you shouldn never do. Copper lines and use any
fluid line as a ground.

Yep. One reason is all would need, and either one of ours would do it.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 5th 05, 03:13 PM
jerry wass

jerry wass wrote:
Anybody know how the cylinder studs/ thru-bolts are located on the old

E-185-225 series Cont. Engines ?? Usually one of 2 ways, either a bolt
circle diameter with so many degrees offset from a horiz or vert C/L of
the bore of the cylinder-----Or, rectangular measurements from a horiz.
and /or vert. line .

Thanx ahead 'o time,

muddled motor man

Well it is on a bolt circle, 6.375 " to be exact---NOW if I just knew
the degrees of separation, I could make me some shims..