UK1 K9370 Fairey BattleMkI 1942-01orLater to US WrightField GeraldRaggettColl.jpg

Old July 31st 13, 01:11 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Joseph Testagrose

Default UK1 K9370 Fairey BattleMkI 1942-01orLater to US WrightField GeraldRaggettColl.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UK1 K9370 Fairey BattleMkI 1942-01orLater to US WrightField GeraldRaggettColl.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	64943
Old August 1st 13, 12:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jeff - VK4XA

"Joseph Testagrose" wrote in message

Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
That's a new one on me.
I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW) aero-engine
with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in 1939.
According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was shipped to
the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.

A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30...stbed.jpg.html

--
Jeff Cochrane - VK4XA
East Innisfail

Old August 1st 13, 08:59 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 01/08/2013 00:18, Jeff - VK4XA wrote:
"Joseph Testagrose" wrote in message

Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
That's a new one on me.
I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW) aero-engine
with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in 1939.
According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was shipped to
the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.

A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30...stbed.jpg.html

I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!
Old August 1st 13, 10:26 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

On 01/08/2013 08:59, ®i©ardo wrote:
On 01/08/2013 00:18, Jeff - VK4XA wrote:
"Joseph Testagrose" wrote in message

Contra rotating propellors on a Fairey Battle?
That's a new one on me.
I did a little digging and courtesy of Wikipedia I came up with this:
Battle K9370 was used to test the Fairey Monarch 2,000+ hp (1,490+ kW)
aero-engine
with electrically-controlled three-blade contra-rotating propellers in
1939.
According to Jane's All the World's Aircraft 1946-47, the aircraft was
shipped to
the U.S.A. after 86 hours test time.

A little more digging and here's a photo of the front of the aircraft.
http://s809.photobucket.com/user/A30...stbed.jpg.html

I'm surprised that the wings stayed on!

Here are two photos of the only remaining Fairey Monarch. It's actually
two vertically-opposed 12-cylinder engines, each with its own crankshaft
driving one of the co-axial propellers. Taken on 24 April 2013 in the
Chobham Hall at RNAS Yeovilton.

--
Peter

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7D-005951.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	64957  Click image for larger version

Name:	7D-005957.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	64958
Old August 1st 13, 12:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 01/08/2013 10:26, Ramsman wrote:
[...]

Thank you for that - I must have seen that on my last visit there!
Archives here I come!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!
Old August 1st 13, 01:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ramsman

On 01/08/2013 12:47, ®i©ardo wrote:
[...]

Apologies for the size, they came out bigger than I expected because
they are portrait orientation. Also that should be Cobham Hall, not
Chobham. For those who don't know, it's the FAA Museum's reserve
collection and workshop, not usually accessible to the public except on
the occasional open day. I was there on a Friends of Duxford trip, which
included visiting the Royal Navy Historic Flight and 845 NAS hangars, as
well as lunch in the RNAS Yeovilton/HMS Heron wardroom. I might even
post more photos when I find the time.

--
Peter
Old August 1st 13, 03:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
®i©ardo[_3_] ®i©ardo[_3_] is offline
Banned

On 01/08/2013 13:49, Ramsman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the information Peter, perhaps it's not in my archives!

--
Moving Things in Still Pictures!