Strange jump in IGC file recorded on iPhone

Old March 2nd 14, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Strange jump in IGC file recorded on iPhone

Last Sunday, I gave 3 rides in the club's L-23 and recorded them using the SeeYou app on my iPhone 4S. Flights have been uploaded to SkyLines with the 3rd one (https://www.skylines-project.org/flights/26873/) showing the anomaly.

Near the time of my release, the altitude jumps almost 1,000' and position a half mile between 15:37:05 and 15:37:06 PDT.

It seems the takeoff altitude is correct, but then the tow seems to stop climbing for a while as recoded, then continues about 1,000' below actual altitude until the jump, where it catches up.

The position jump is also interesting as it appears the position drifted for a while, then suddenly caught up to reality.

Is this a result of the iPhone dealing with a poor GPS signal? I was in the rear seat with the phone in my breast pocket, so a good view of the sky forward and up, but the wings and fuselage could be blocking some satellites to the sides and rear.

-Tom
Old March 2nd 14, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi Tom,

I saw a NOTAM regarding GPS testing around Alamogordo a few days ago. It's
supposed to run through March. My CAI302 had trouble connecting on Friday.
You're probably out of range of such activity, but I thought I'd mention it.

wrote in message
[...]

2012 SSA Pilot Survey - Make sure your submission is actually recorded [email protected] Soaring 0 September 25th 12 06:28 PM
Parachute Jump Square Wheels[_7_] Aviation Photos 0 May 9th 08 08:01 AM
Jump Start? Jeffrey Owning 3 February 7th 05 07:33 PM
First jump! Doug Vetter Piloting 10 August 22nd 04 03:20 AM
Jump plane CG Roger Long Piloting 10 July 16th 04 06:19 AM