Road ID - must have

Old February 17th 15, 05:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_6_]

Default Road ID - must have

IMHO - this is a must have for all sailplane pilots...especially for contest and ridge pilots usually far away from home. Cheap and especially helpful to EMS in critical situations. Interactive model is my choice. Just browse Road ID and become a safer pilot.
Old February 17th 15, 06:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Uhhhh.
Aren't we carrying a pilot license on our person?

Old February 17th 15, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_6_]

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:52:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Uhhhh.
Aren't we carrying a pilot license on our person?

Many pilots are in the habit of removing their wallet and storing them in a side pocket.If EMS does not find it you are John Doe.The beauty of the interactive model is it allows all personal specifics (including medical history) to be determined immediately if you are unconscious. Whats wrong with being a safer pilot?
Old February 17th 15, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:52:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Aren't we carrying a pilot license on our person?

And photo ID.

I learned recently that if you are not carrying state issued photo ID on your person, that you have a much better of being arrested and detained for a misdemeanor like trespassing or jaywalking. If you are taken to the station, they are more likely to hold you until you are properly identified.

If you can produce state issued ID, then you're more likely to get a written summons and sent on your way.

And if you're randomly stopped for no particular reason and asked to produce ID, you're much better off if you have that little card with you.

So I think that this Road ID (not state issued identification wrist band) is inadequate.

Old February 18th 15, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben[_6_]

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 2:03:36 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 12:52:33 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Aren't we carrying a pilot license on our person?

And photo ID.

I learned recently that if you are not carrying state issued photo ID on your person, that you have a much better of being arrested and detained for a misdemeanor like trespassing or jaywalking. If you are taken to the station, they are more likely to hold you until you are properly identified.

If you can produce state issued ID, then you're more likely to get a written summons and sent on your way.

And if you're randomly stopped for no particular reason and asked to produce ID, you're much better off if you have that little card with you.

So I think that this Road ID (not state issued identification wrist band) is inadequate.

Respectfully, you are overlooking the value of Road ID allowing any EMS personnel to immediately identify you and your medical specifics if you are not able to communicate. The prime objective is to stay alive; if you are lucky enough to survive a catastrophic crash who cares about a misdemeanor fine for improper identify?
Old February 18th 15, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 11:26:52 AM UTC-5, Ben wrote:
IMHO - this is a must have for all sailplane pilots...especially for contest and ridge pilots usually far away from home. Cheap and especially helpful to EMS in critical situations. Interactive model is my choice. Just browse Road ID and become a safer pilot.

I guess you mean this....

http://www.roadid.com/default.aspx ?

I keep "ICE" info on my cellphone, even though it's locked, people can dial any of my "ICE" contacts and it also has some medical history for me as well.

PS, "ICE" = "In Case of Emergency". I know Verizon has it, I would guess other carriers have it as well.
Old February 18th 15, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean Fidler

I wear one. Used to cycle a lot for triathlons (original need) but saw the value in the glider. As with all such things it is hard to see the importance before the "accident" but for $30 it could be highly valuable in any number of potential life (death) situations, not just gliding.
Old February 18th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

eh, just wear your emergency info + medical info on a (breakaway) lanyard around your neck. make sure it has your blood type and allergies.
Old February 18th 15, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at 10:32:49 AM UTC-6, Bob Pasker wrote:
eh, just wear your emergency info + medical info on a (breakaway) lanyard around your neck. make sure it has your blood type and allergies.

Military-style dog tags. $7 for a pair, engraved.

Talk about re-inventing the wheel!

66
Old February 19th 15, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Seems that, if you want such information available to EMS you should
wear the ID bracelet, dog tags, etc., or carry the information in your
wallet which you should have on your person anyway.

I've found that a wallet is uncomfortable in my hip pocket so, when
flying my glider, I put the wallet in one of the cargo pockets of my
flying pants. Problem solved.

--
Dan Marotta

Seen beside road George Aviation Photos 15 October 17th 07 09:45 PM
One for the road. Laonork Piloting 2 April 27th 05 11:30 PM
USA Roads alternate Road Textures, Not looking like a road map Simulators 1 June 27th 04 10:08 PM
PW-6U on the road again Charles Yeates Soaring 0 May 20th 04 09:37 PM
down the road resale Rob Home Built 10 September 26th 03 10:36 PM