A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Glider Cockpit Safety

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 9th 18, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Glider Cockpit Safety

While they were not perfect, they did better than quite a few early/mid glass ships. Too many back then would "eggshell" with a reasonable nose down hit leaving the pilot hanging out there from the hips (or so) down just sitting in wreckage.
Saw a few of them as well.
I never said they were great, but many bad landings had peeps walking away in a SGS compared to a lot of glass ships. I was there in the retrieval on both.

Yes, pretty much all mfr's do better now. Then again, I have been around this for about 45 years, so I have seen a lot of the progression over time as well as the aftermath.
No mfr is perfect, even now, but yes, they are mostly better.

Sorta like saying, "why didn't auto manufacturer so and so make their cars safer in the 60's?". Sheesh, a lot of cars then around the world had seat belts as an option. Most are pretty good today, provided you at least "sorta" use what is already there. Belts are number 1. They work on their own, they also make airbags a LOT more effective when needed. Airbags without seat belts may actually be worse in some cases!

Carry on with the discussion.