Bizarre Weather

Old January 28th 08, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

Default Bizarre Weather

On Jan 28, 8:36*am, Judah wrote:

It matters to me what I believe, just as it matters to you what you
believe...

A mans gotta believe in something.

I believe.........Ill have another beer.

Old January 28th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Longworth[_1_]

On Jan 27, 11:32*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
After weeks of bitter cold, today was one of those rare January flying days
in the upper Midwest that literally convinced everyone to go flying. *I
haven't seen (and heard) this much GA traffic since last summer.

The sudden change from bitterly cold to warm weather has been the
norm this winter in the Northeast. We have done quite a bit of
flying training/practicing for our commerical ratings this winter (had
over 20hrs in the first two weeks of the year). The GA traffic was as
busy as during the summer. About 2 weeks ago, we had several days in
the 60's then the temp dipped to the low teens. It is warming up to
the 40's this week. Unfortunately with both the plane and pilots out
of commision (a broken wing flap cable bracket for the cardinal and a
terrible cold for both of us), it will a week or two before we can get
back on the air to finish our ratings.

We flew from Iowa City to Prairie du Chein, WI, and saw nary a cloud, and
felt nary a bump, despite all weather circumstances pointing to the
development of such conditions.

Umm, I think this is at least the third time that you mispelled
Prairie Du Chien. It's no big deal but it bugs me enough that I have
to point it out ;-). About the calm weather, in our few last flights,
it was just dead calm that we had fun pretending that our Cardinal had
an autopilot and flew without touching the yoke and the pedals while
maintaining our goal of 2-2-20 (2 degrees of heading, 2 knots of speed
and 20' of altitude deviations).

Just goes to show you that weather is still as much a mystery than a
science. *But after such an unusually harsh winter, we'll gladly take the

Weather prediction may not be an exact science but it is quite an
advanced sicence. NOAA report had predicted an above-average winter
temperatures

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories...9_outlook.html

Our electric bill for the last two months was only $100. The bill
showed the total degrees in comparison for the same two-month period
last year and it was indeed significantly warmer. Well, for those who
use air-conditioning in the summer (we don't), the winter electric
bill saving will be insignificant in comparison to the summer bill if
this warming trend continues.

Hai Longworth
Old January 28th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

On Jan 27, 10:32*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
After weeks of bitter cold, today was one of those rare January flying days
in the upper Midwest that literally convinced everyone to go flying. *I
haven't seen (and heard) this much GA traffic since last summer.

Same thing here in the St Louis area. Everyone came out of
hibernation.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
Old January 28th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Judah" wrote

I am a firm believer in Darwin's Weather Evolution principal.

Huh ? ? ?

That went "wooosh" right over my head, I'm afraid! g
--
Jim in NC

Old January 28th 08, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Judah

Bertie the Bunyip wrote in news:Xns9A33A03F81825****upropeeh@
207.14.116.130:

It matters to me what I believe, just as it matters to you what you
believe...

Oh, I wasn't suggesting anything else.

I know you weren't. I was just pointing out the oxymoron of the typical
scientific theory and those who believe in them.

I regard it as almost a neccesary evil until such time as I actually *do*
know it all.

You can't know it all. You can only believe you know it all.

Old January 29th 08, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote:

"Judah" wrote

I am a firm believer in Darwin's Weather Evolution principal.

Huh ? ? ?

That went "wooosh" right over my head, I'm afraid! g

Darwin didn't have a Weather Evolution principal.

Only Judah knows what the hell he's talking about, and he's being coy.

Maybe he's hoping someone will ask him.

Let's not.

--
Dan

"Don't make me nervous when I'm carryin' a baseball bat."
- Big Joe Turner

Old January 29th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Longworth" wrote:

Just goes to show you that weather is still as much a mystery than a
science. But after such an unusually harsh winter, we'll gladly take the

Weather prediction may not be an exact science but it is quite an
advanced sicence.

It is politically important to some people to deny that.

After all, if scientists can't exactly predict the weather, how can they
predict the climate?

....and what science *is* exact?

--
Dan

"The future has actually been here for a while, it's just not readily
available to everyone."
- some guy at MIT

Old January 29th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in news:13psvq57uopsof0
@news.supernews.com:

"Morgans" wrote:

"Judah" wrote

I am a firm believer in Darwin's Weather Evolution principal.

Huh ? ? ?

That went "wooosh" right over my head, I'm afraid! g

Darwin didn't have a Weather Evolution principal.

Only Judah knows what the hell he's talking about, and he's being coy.

Maybe he's hoping someone will ask him.

Let's not.

I know what he meant.

Pretty obvious , I thought.

Bertie

Old January 29th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Dan Luke" wrote in
:

"Longworth" wrote:

Just goes to show you that weather is still as much a mystery than a
science. But after such an unusually harsh winter, we'll gladly take
the

Weather prediction may not be an exact science but it is quite an
advanced sicence.

It is politically important to some people to deny that.

After all, if scientists can't exactly predict the weather, how can
they predict the climate?

Actually, weather prediction is very good nowadays.

Very good.

We get working flight logs which are generated a few hours before our
flights. They have forecast winds on them for each waypoint and each
altitude. They're generally accuraes within a few knots and a few degrees.
15 years ago, they were guessing about a lot of things, These days,, not so
much...

...and what science *is* exact?

None, but none claims to be.