Interior Spray Paint

Old June 9th 04, 03:17 PM
Ben Smith

Default Interior Spray Paint

What do you guys use for painting interior plastic?

We will be out of annual for a couple weeks 'cause our A&P is busy, so we're
going to work in the interior. We'll order various new pieces from Plane
Plastics. The parts come black right? We'll have to paint the new pieces,
and re-paint the yellowed but reusable ones.

TIA

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old June 9th 04, 04:17 PM
Rip

Krylon has a new spray paint specifically designed for plastics. I
haven't tried it yet.

Old June 9th 04, 04:22 PM
Marco Leon

There are a number of plastic surface paints out there. I chose to go with a
dark gray paint made for modern automobile bumpers so that it allowed for
some flexibility. The brand was Plasti-Kote I believe. As always, prepping
and priming are key--make sure to sand and prime adequately.

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old June 9th 04, 07:15 PM
TaxSrv

"Rip" wrote:
Krylon has a new spray paint specifically designed for plastics. I
haven't tried it yet.

I have and pretty impressive gloss. Not quite what one may want, but
suppose that a mist coat of a satin clear applied from a distance
after she dries clear will dull it enough.

Fred F.

Old June 9th 04, 09:13 PM
Ray Andraka

S.E.M. is a paint (could be a dye) made for vinyl. Walmart sells it.
Works great.

TaxSrv wrote:

"Rip" wrote:
Krylon has a new spray paint specifically designed for plastics. I
haven't tried it yet.

I have and pretty impressive gloss. Not quite what one may want, but
suppose that a mist coat of a satin clear applied from a distance
after she dries clear will dull it enough.

Fred F.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old June 10th 04, 01:21 AM
RKHenry

"Ben Smith" wrote in message
What do you guys use for painting interior plastic?

We will be out of annual for a couple weeks 'cause our A&P is busy, so

we're
going to work in the interior. We'll order various new pieces from Plane
Plastics. The parts come black right? We'll have to paint the new

pieces,
and re-paint the yellowed but reusable ones.

I just installed some seat backs from Plane Plastic in my Warrior. They're
white. Some of the other new parts I bought, like the air vent cups, are
black.

I decided to leave the cups and the flap lever cover black but for the white
seat backs I went to the automotive paint store and ordered paint that was a
close match to the upholstery. I applied it with a spray gun. The paint is
urethane so I'm hoping it will stand up well to handling and of course it's
as glossy as can be. In the past I've painted other interior parts with
enamel and the color eventually wore through.

Almost all these parts require a lot of work with a Dremel tool before
they're ready to install. And some of them aren't exactly like the
originals, but as long as they carry that PMA sticker and you can figure out
how to make them fit I guess they're ok.

You might want to replace the yellowed parts anyway, budget permitting. When
they get brittle like that they'll break easily. There isn't much point in
painting them if you'll only be having to replace them soon. One trick I've
used to repair these parts is to use ABS pipe cement (the clear kind) to
glue a layer of fiberglass cloth to the backside of the plastic. Helps hold
it together. That's only a temporary fix though, eventually the plastic goes
the way of all things created by the hand of man and you have to replace it.

RK Henry

Old June 10th 04, 01:59 AM
Nathan Young

There was a fantastic article about 1 year ago in one of the aviation
magazines that discussed how to repair plastic interior pieces,
including panel plastic. I think it was Sport Aviation. The before
and after results were quite impressive.

-Nathan

Old June 10th 04, 02:24 AM

Our parts came white, and we painted them with S.E.M. mixed to a
matching colour. We got "flat" paint and sprayed it with one of those
disposable aerosol cans/bottles...

Came out looking like new!!

Dave

Old June 10th 04, 05:22 AM
Jay Honeck

S.E.M. is a paint (could be a dye) made for vinyl. Walmart sells it.
Works great.

Roger that.

SEM is outstanding, and can be applied equally well by spray or with a small
brush (for those tough to remove pieces, like the ones that go around the
yoke on a Cherokee).
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 10th 04, 02:13 PM
OtisWinslow

Use S.E.M. Available at auto body paint stores. I've used it on
several planes and it works great.