SeeYou 3-D View with Mac

Old November 7th 14, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default SeeYou 3-D View with Mac

I love my MacBook Pro (OSX 10.9.5) and SeeYou (6.17) running in Windows emulator VM Fusion (6.0.5), but I've never been able to get natural looking terrain in 3-D mode, either running the animation or stopped.

I have both vector and raster maps installed for the areas of my flight traces - the 2-D views are beautiful.

But the 3-D views are poor: either a matrix/wire mesh depicting the hills or, when I turn of the virtual machine's graphics acceleration, the terrain looks like a bad paint-by-numbers painting (in both cases the glider and trace image are fine).

I think I have my Tools/Options/Flight/3D View set up correctly: Show 3D terrain is checked, as is Raster Maps in Visible Layers (and I've played with most other combinations).

It's been a year or so since I sent a note with this to Naviter -- they confidently made suggestions -- but nothing's worked.

Ideas (or bad news that SeeYou just can't do this with a Mac)?

Thanks,

Eric
ER
Old November 7th 14, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

The problem is not Naviter's, the OpenGL in VMware Fusion is simply broken. In fact the bugs they have are easy to reproduce with standard GLScene demos for the GLScene 3D graphics library that SeeYou uses, I've done that and provided to VMware years ago (literally). They clearly don't care about OpenGL support. You can try Parallels to see if there OpenGL support is any better. Otherwise bootcamp and booting into Windows will work.

At some level it is unfortunate that Naviter uses OpenGL on Windows, but hey a long time ago it probably seemed a great idea. OTOH it would makes it a bit easier for them to do a native OS X port :-)
Old November 7th 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

On Thursday, November 6, 2014 10:17:39 PM UTC-8, Darryl Ramm wrote:
The problem is not Naviter's, the OpenGL in VMware Fusion is simply broken. In fact the bugs they have are easy to reproduce with standard GLScene demos for the GLScene 3D graphics library that SeeYou uses, I've done that and provided to VMware years ago (literally). They clearly don't care about OpenGL support. You can try Parallels to see if there OpenGL support is any better. Otherwise bootcamp and booting into Windows will work.

At some level it is unfortunate that Naviter uses OpenGL on Windows, but hey a long time ago it probably seemed a great idea. OTOH it would makes it a bit easier for them to do a native OS X port :-)

Using Parallels SeeYou works great in 3D mode. CrossOver Mac also allows you to run SeeYou without installing Windows. While it's not totally flawless, it runs and I do believe it now runs 3D mode as well.

https://www.codeweavers.com/compatib...me/?app_id=957

SeeYou and OLC Greg Arnold[_3_] Soaring 3 April 27th 10 12:42 AM
SeeYou on a Mac Andy[_9_] Soaring 1 May 20th 09 06:42 PM
SeeYou and OLC Doug Haluza Soaring 0 April 20th 07 11:14 PM
Seeyou NMEA to Winpilot/Seeyou Jean Soaring 4 June 3rd 06 11:38 AM
SeeYou v3.1 Tim Harrison Soaring 5 April 21st 05 05:48 PM