Oshkosh Housing???

Old May 2nd 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Default Oshkosh Housing???

As most of you know, after a fairly long 33 year attendance record at The
Show, Gail and I decided that we could only afford one long trip last year
and we had a "must do" radio show gig in Anchorage last July.

Montblack got my dorm reservations and I just flat forgot to re-register for
this year. Even at this late date, we could probably get into the UW-O
dorms, but I'm just interested in what else is out there.

1. Camping is out. That was part of the deal. Don't even suggest it.

2. I've looked at the various residences for rent, but the problem is that
you have absolutely no idea if they are the Taj Mahal of Oshkosh or Roach
Heaven.

3. I've also looked at a couple of the other colleges with dorms and they
are sort of pricey for what you get. UW-O ain't cheap, but it seems that
the other ones are further away, you get about the same features, but for
more money.

4. I was thinking of looking at the motels that seem to line Lake Winnebago
pretty much all along the western shore. If anybody has first hand
knowledge of a good one fairly reasonable, would you pass it along?

5. Anybody else with first hand knowledge of something else that might
work, I'd appreciate knowing about it.

Jim

Old May 2nd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

I can have ground transportation. It is a little scam we've played with a
consenting used car dealer every year for a long time. That's neither here
nor there.

More time than distance. Let's say that once we get into or out of the
ratrace at the show and a bit away from the airport, say, half an hour to 45
minutes? That's 40 to 50 miles on the freeway but 20 to 25 miles on back
country roads at 30 mph.

We did a little motel in Van Dyne one year and it was kind of fun, but I
misremember the name of the place.

Jim

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Jim,
If you are considering motels/hotels, would you have ground
transportation?
If so, how far would you consider driving?
Jim Burns

Old May 2nd 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On May 2, 1:01 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
[...]

UW-O doesn't have air conditioning. I spent several hot/sticky nights
in those dorms. the local Wal-Mart must have sold thousands of fans.

-robert

Old May 2nd 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Burns[_2_]

I would then suggest exploring the hotels/motels in the smaller towns that
dot Wis. Hwy 21, west of OSH. Omro has a couple Mom and Pop Hotels,
Redgranite has a newer budget type hotel and suites, and Wautoma has some of
each. Hwy 21 is a two lane state highway and normal traffic travels about
55-60mph, even during EAA. Tami and I travel 21 to OSH and our 60 mile
driving distance times out at exactly 60 minutes to EAA. 21 intersects 41
only 2 exits north of the north 40.

Most of the hotels both north and south along Hwy 41 will be booked already,
but I've heard from locals for several years that rooms are frequently
available in Redgranite and Wautoma. Wautoma has several good steakhouses
as well as fast food. Both Redgranite and Wautoma have large grocery stores
and plenty of convenience stores/gas stations.

Wautoma has a pretty active EAA chapter. A call to the FBO would probably
yield a world of local info and recommendations.
http://www.airnav.com/airport/Y50

Jim

Old May 2nd 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ken Finney

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Jim,
If you are considering motels/hotels, would you have ground
transportation?
If so, how far would you consider driving?
Jim Burns

In 2004, I stayed in a Super 8 motel in Beaver Dam, it's 45 miles but I made
it in much less than a hour each day.

Old May 2nd 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

I spent 33 years of hot sticky nights in the dorms. What are you trying to
tell me?

(BTW, Taylor Hall IS air conditioned.)

Jim

ps.com...

Old May 3rd 07, 12:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)

RST Engineering wrote:

3. I've also looked at a couple of the other colleges with dorms and they
are sort of pricey for what you get. UW-O ain't cheap, but it seems that
the other ones are further away, you get about the same features, but for
more money.

Did you look at Lawrence University in Appleton? Their doubles go for
$70/night, but it does have air conditioning. 2 rooms share 1 bathroom.
I stayed there in 2005. The only reason I haven't been back is because
someone in our EAA chapter had space in a house near the field. There's
nothing fancy since it's just a dorm room with a couple single beds,
dresser and desk, but it's better than a tent in the middle of a famous
Oshkosh thunderstorm. I'd suggest bringing a lamp and radio. There is a
common TV lounge area. Hiett Hall is a relatively new building there.

http://www.lawrence.edu/community/eaa.shtml

Old May 3rd 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
bbutlergps

On May 2, 6:42 pm, "Paul Dow (Remove Caps in mail address)"
wrote:
RST Engineering wrote:

3. I've also looked at a couple of the other colleges with dorms and they
are sort of pricey for what you get. UW-O ain't cheap, but it seems that
the other ones are further away, you get about the same features, but for
more money.

Did you look at Lawrence University in Appleton? Their doubles go for
$70/night, but it does have air conditioning. 2 rooms share 1 bathroom.
I stayed there in 2005. The only reason I haven't been back is because
someone in our EAA chapter had space in a house near the field. There's
nothing fancy since it's just a dorm room with a couple single beds,
dresser and desk, but it's better than a tent in the middle of a famous
Oshkosh thunderstorm. I'd suggest bringing a lamp and radio. There is a
common TV lounge area. Hiett Hall is a relatively new building there.

http://www.lawrence.edu/community/eaa.shtml

It is a drive but I stayed over at Ripon College. First the Good
things:
Breakfast. This isn't a little "motel" type breakfast. This is a full
blown meal.
Laundry. Free use of the washer and dryers. This came in very handy
since we made it into a Oshkosh / Mid American Baseball tour (lots of
dirty clothes).
Swimming Pool. Use of the swimming pool however it closed eariler than
I liked. By the time you got in, ate the pool was closed or soon to be
closed.
Now the bad:
No A/C. Get a room that is on the westside upstairs. Bring a fan.
A 20 minute drive. It was however pretty neat looking back West with
all the aircraft lined up for landing at Oshkosh.

If I had to do it again I would stay at Ripon or another University
that offered free shuttle service (save on parking and long walks back
to car).

Bill

Old May 3rd 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:
I spent 33 years of hot sticky nights in the dorms. What are you trying to
tell me?

WAY TMI!!!

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 3rd 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

1. Camping is out. That was part of the deal. Don't even suggest it.

You really do have to buy one of the new 8" thick air mattresses, Jim,
and just try it out in your living room before you utterly reject
camping. Those danged things have changed EVERYTHING about camping.

Our week camped at SNF, sleeping on our queen-sized air mattress, was
FAR more comfortable than our night in the hotel suite in
Tallahassee. And we didn't have to add air the entire week.

To not get up in the morning feeling like someone has been beating you
with a rubber mallet all night long is truly fantastic.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA