New Ministers of National Defence in Canada

Old December 15th 03, 12:03 AM
Allen

"Andrew Chaplin" wrote in message

SNIP

Then, dear Brian, you have failed to distinguish successfully between
"integration" and "unification".
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Just curious. If you keep the air force with only twin Heuy's, Hercs and
some P3's , build up the naval ability to transport army material,
retain some ships for defence against bad guys and ditch ASW
......strengthen our army so it can do a decent job in places like
Afghanistan......what do you have? unification, the Marine Corp ???

Allen

Old December 15th 03, 12:08 PM
Andrew Chaplin

IBM wrote:

"Darrel Newman" wrote in
able.rogers.com:

Paul Hellyer - isn't he the guy who we all wanted to trade to the
Israelis as in

"Paul Hellyer + 10,000 bolts of green cloth for a One-eyed Jew"

Which is kind of ironic seeing as how one of the more important
commanders of the Israeli war for independence was in fact a
Canadian.

And arguably more competent a general than Moshe Dyan. Dyan, however,
was certainly the better politician, at least in the Israeli setting.
Old December 15th 03, 07:27 PM
Jack

"IBM" wrote in message
"Darrel Newman" wrote in
able.rogers.com:

Paul Hellyer - isn't he the guy who we all wanted to trade to the
Israelis as in

"Paul Hellyer + 10,000 bolts of green cloth for a One-eyed Jew"

Which is kind of ironic seeing as how one of the more important
commanders of the Israeli war for independence was in fact a
Canadian.

IBM

Oh ?? Thats interesting...who was it ??

Old December 15th 03, 07:59 PM
Andrew Chaplin

"Jack" wrote in message
news

"IBM" wrote in message

Which is kind of ironic seeing as how one of the more important
commanders of the Israeli war for independence was in fact a
Canadian.

Oh ?? Thats interesting...who was it ??

Ben Dunkelman, late of the Queen's Own Rifles, in which he was a company
commander from Juno Beach to the Low Countries, and who left Canada after
being de-mobbed to serve as a formation commander in the Israeli army.
Unlike many others who went to Israel to support the Zionists (and I use
the term as Dunkelman would have) he had operational experience in what
we would now call combat team and battle broup operations. He only died
about two years ago. While he was prepared to fight for Israel, he
preferred to live in Canada, and was a Colonel of the Regiment for the
QOR for a term. He was a haberdasher by trade, and the family firm, Tip
Top Tailors, was the equivalent in Canada of Brooks Brothers or Moss
Bros.

Old December 15th 03, 09:36 PM
ian maclure

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 14:59:28 -0500, Andrew Chaplin wrote:

[snip]

Ben Dunkelman, late of the Queen's Own Rifles, in which he was a company
commander from Juno Beach to the Low Countries, and who left Canada after
being de-mobbed to serve as a formation commander in the Israeli army.

He was no Sir Arthur Curry but he did very well by the Israelis.
Didn't Ben Gurion want him to be Chief Of Staff at one point?

Unlike many others who went to Israel to support the Zionists (and I use
the term as Dunkelman would have) he had operational experience in what
we would now call combat team and battle broup operations. He only died
about two years ago. While he was prepared to fight for Israel, he
preferred to live in Canada, and was a Colonel of the Regiment for the
QOR for a term. He was a haberdasher by trade, and the family firm, Tip
Top Tailors, was the equivalent in Canada of Brooks Brothers or Moss
Bros.

Its my understanding that Brook's brothers were kind of
one step below carriage trade? I wouldn't put Tip Top in that
league but they certainly gave excellent value for the money
I have a closet full of their stuff because I hate shopping and
I knew they would usually have the sort of thing I wanted.

IBM

The Worlds Uncensored News Source