Piper Cub J3P 'Lenape cub'

Old October 9th 03, 05:15 PM
Cliff

Default Piper Cub J3P 'Lenape cub'

Hi! I am a modeler and am starting on a 1/4 scale piper cub. I am
going to build the J3P model with the Lenape 3 cylinder radial engine.
Currently have a Saito 3 cylinder engine I am using on the model.

Does anyone know of a J3P anywhere that is flying and I could
photograph?

Thanks!
Cliff

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
Old October 9th 03, 06:09 PM
David Megginson

Cliff writes:

Hi! I am a modeler and am starting on a 1/4 scale piper cub. I am
going to build the J3P model with the Lenape 3 cylinder radial engine.
Currently have a Saito 3 cylinder engine I am using on the model.

Does anyone know of a J3P anywhere that is flying and I could
photograph?

There are FAA databases that you can search for this kind of
information. I just tried the interface at landings.com and got only
two hits for the J3P:

N-number : N20280
Aircraft Serial Number : 4058
Aircraft Manufacturer : PIPER
Model : J3P
Engine Manufacturer : CONT MOTOR
Model : A&C65 SERIES
Aircraft Year : 1939
Owner Name : ZIMMER-GALLER INGRID E
Owner Address : 8010 HOLLOW REED CT
FREDERICK, MD, 21701-3276
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 01-Apr-1998
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

N-number : N21561
Aircraft Serial Number : 2474
Aircraft Manufacturer : PIPER
Model : J3P
Engine Manufacturer : LENAPPE
Model : AR3-160
Aircraft Year : 1938
Owner Name : BRANDT TERRY R
Owner Address : 3600 AIRPORT DR
HOOD RIVER, OR, 97031
Type of Owner : Individual
Registration Date : 12-Dec-1989
Airworthiness Certificate Type : Standard
Approved Operations : Normal

I find it surprising that there are only two still flying in the U.S.
Note that the one in Oregon still has the Lenappe engine, according to
the database.

All the best,

David
Old October 9th 03, 06:26 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Cliff wrote:

Does anyone know of a J3P anywhere that is flying and I could
photograph?

Dunno about any that are flying, but the author of this article claims to know
of one in Oregon somewhere - check out
http://www.rcmodel.com/aeroncak/aeroncakarticle.html . Search for "lenape".

George Patterson
God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I like, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.
Old October 9th 03, 06:30 PM
G.R. Patterson III

David Megginson wrote:

I find it surprising that there are only two still flying in the U.S.

Piper only made 27 of them.

Old October 9th 03, 11:33 PM
Cliff

Thanks for all the help!!

If the redone Lenape is close to Kentucky I would like to see it.

Old April 12th 12, 05:45 AM
chiefpilot chiefpilot is offline
Junior Member

Location: Hood River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
Hi! I am a modeler and am starting on a 1/4 scale piper cub. I am
going to build the J3P model with the Lenape 3 cylinder radial engine.
Currently have a Saito 3 cylinder engine I am using on the model.

Does anyone know of a J3P anywhere that is flying and I could
photograph?

Thanks!
Cliff

*** Sent via http://www.automationtools.com ***
Add a newsgroup interface to your website today.
We have a flying Lenape cub at WAAAM in Hood River Oregon, I am planning on taking it to OSH for the flyin this year. You may conntact me for pictures or info. We are and non profit, so anyone that would help the effort to get to OSH please contact me. thanks, Ben