S-TEC 60-2 audio warning

Old February 29th 04, 10:39 AM
Julian Scarfe

Default S-TEC 60-2 audio warning

I'm confused. I've spent many years flying a Mooney with a KFC200 autopilot
that has an audible disconnect warning. We now have a Twin Comanche in
which we installed an STEC 60-2 a couple of years ago.

Recently, testing the 60-2 pre-flight, I noticed that there was no audio
warning when the autopilot was disconnected, whereas there *is* an audio
warning when e.g. the trim lights illuminate. Without much further thought,
I flagged this as an issue with our maintenenace organisation. They say, and
I have confirmed, that the POH supplement says that RDY light flashes for 5
seconds on disconnect, but it doesn't mention an audio warning in such
circumstances.

So, did I misremember (imagine?) that an audio warning used to sound when
the a/p was disengaged? If so, why would someone make an a/p with an audio
warning built-in which doesn't sound for the most obvious message ("your
airplane!")?

Julian Scarfe

Old February 29th 04, 02:29 PM
Stu Gotts

I have an audio warning on my STec, but its volume is very low. Not
sure, but if there was an output wire, it could be connected to a
piezo/buzzer or maybe an audio panel.

Old February 29th 04, 02:39 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message
I have an audio warning on my STec, but its volume is very low. Not
sure, but if there was an output wire, it could be connected to a
piezo/buzzer or maybe an audio panel.

But does it trigger when you disconnect the a/p, Stu? We definitely have an
audio warning -- it's not deafening but it's quite audible. I just wasn't
hearing it on disconnect.

Julian

Old February 29th 04, 04:23 PM
Stu Gotts

Yes, it sounds on disconnect. Can't hear it even with the BOSE
headsets. Maybe you need to have it looked at or give STec a call.

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:39:03 -0000, "Julian Scarfe"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 1st 04, 01:00 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I flew an Aztec from Michigna to Florida and back that had a new S-Tec 50 AP
installed... Every time the heater got the cabin comfortable the AP would
drop off line with no warning... Most annoying, because the airplane was
trimmed and would begin a slow entry into a death spiral that was so gentle
that the seat of your pants did not pick it up... So, if you were on the
radio, or had your head in the chart, you would look up to find yourself 30
degrees off course and a hundred feet low, and the airspeed quietly creeping
towards the red line... I fnally settled on hand flying, engaging the AP
only if center wanted to amend my clearance, or something that required me
to be head down for a minute - made for a long trip...
denny

Old March 1st 04, 04:10 PM
Peter R.

Julian Scarfe ) wrote:

snip
So, did I misremember (imagine?) that an audio warning used to sound
when the a/p was disengaged?

Coming from a C172 with a dual axis KAP140 with a really loud AP disconnect
tone, I also do not like the absence of this tone in the Bonanza I am now
flying that is equipped with the same S-TEC AP.

--
Peter

Old March 1st 04, 09:11 PM
Julian Scarfe

"Peter R." wrote in message
snip
So, did I misremember (imagine?) that an audio warning used to sound
when the a/p was disengaged?

Coming from a C172 with a dual axis KAP140 with a really loud AP

disconnect
tone, I also do not like the absence of this tone in the Bonanza I am now
flying that is equipped with the same S-TEC AP.

Well there may be a solution. I emailed S-TEC who promptly responded:

"There was no requirement for an aural disconnect alarm when these
systems were originally designed. You should not get anything except
the RDY light flashing. We do sell an audible disconnect alarm that can
be retrofitted to the older systems without an audible alarm. The PN is
01274."

So there we have it. All in my imagination.

Julian