Reading R.A.O. pays off

Old September 11th 04, 09:57 PM
The Weiss Family

Default Reading R.A.O. pays off

All the snooping in the newsgroup just paid off...I think!
I just closed the deal on my first airplane.
Based on my mission profile and the things I learned from the newsgroup, I
had the following objectives:

1. Must be able to *legally* fit my wife and three (small) kids.
2. 180 HP or greater (high density altitude)
3. Mid-time engine
4. Decent P&I
5. Decent radios (I'm VFR, so not too fancy)
6. Work an annual into the deal

Well, I found a 1966 A23-24 Super Musketeer.
Goal 1 was met, since this has the third row bench seat.
Goal 2 was met: IO-360-A2B, 200HP
Goal 3 was met: 1050 SMOH, 2000 TBO
Goal 4 was met: 2003 paint (absolutely beautiful), Interior is clean
Goal 5 --- couple of KX-170B's, one with G/S, not exactly what I had in mind
Goal 6 --- not met....at first....

The owner was reluctant to budge from his asking price.
So, I stuck to his asking price, and had him throw in a GPS (Airmap 1000,
avionics just got better).
I also negotiated that he annual the plane (it was due in Nov).
There was a small oil leak that was not initally disclosed (or known about,
I think). Now he's taking care of it.
He also threw in a bunch of miscellaneous stuff, like headsets, an
additional intercom, manuals, etc.

All in all, I'm happy with the deal. I'm glad I gleaned some info from this
group.
I CAN'T WAIT TO GO PICK IT UP!!
It'll be about three weeks when the annual is done and my finances are in
order.
I'm also looking forward to flying it back from TX to NV.

I'll pre-empt Jay Honeck, and say that I'm happy to be offically in debt as
much as the rest of you!
But at least I have a full 12 months until I get raked over the coals at my
first annual.

Adam Weiss
PP-ASEL
soon to be N7966L -- Super Musketeer!

Old September 11th 04, 10:49 PM
john smith

Good airplane, Beech-built, solid!
Handles well, roomy interior, good visibility.
Trailing link landing gear gives smooth landings.
Not a speedster, though.

Old September 11th 04, 11:20 PM
Howard Nelson

5. Decent radios (I'm VFR, so not too fancy)

Goal 5 --- couple of KX-170B's, one with G/S, not exactly what I had in

mind

Actually they might turn out to very decent radios esp. if you are only vfr
and multiple backup freqs. are not that important. They perform well, are
built like tanks, legal and parts are still available.

Howard
..

---

Old September 12th 04, 02:57 AM
tony roberts

Congratulations - I fly in my friends plane - same model.
Great all round aircraft - big useful load, decent cruise speed & range.
Downside - parts cost a fortune - try C$1600.00 for a mixture cable -
ouch! My friend bought a non Beech cable instead (I believe it was
actually a Cessna one) for less that C$100.00.
Fuel selector valve C$2500.00
But I still love it - I'm looking for one for myself at the moment -
with the 200hp. I was told that the 200 hp models were all originally
sold as military trainers - don't know how true that is.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old September 12th 04, 03:14 AM
Jay Honeck

I CAN'T WAIT TO GO PICK IT UP!!

Heh. I remember THAT feeling well...

;-)

Enjoy it, man -- you've earned it.

I'll pre-empt Jay Honeck, and say that I'm happy to be offically in debt

as
much as the rest of you!

You will love every minute of your plane -- even as it sucks you
relentlessly toward that black hole of aviation oblivion known
as...ownership.

Still, NOTHING is better than owning your own plane. Have fun!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 12th 04, 05:00 AM
The Weiss Family

Downside - parts cost a fortune - try C$1600.00 for a mixture cable -
ouch! My friend bought a non Beech cable instead (I believe it was
actually a Cessna one) for less that C$100.00.

Can you do that? If so, I'm definitely going to go that route!

But I still love it - I'm looking for one for myself at the moment -
with the 200hp. I was told that the 200 hp models were all originally
sold as military trainers - don't know how true that is.

There is one (actually two, mine's one of them) on Trade-A-Plane.
There is another A23 with a 200HP conversion on www.controller.com
It actually looks like a sweet deal, but I needed the third row seat.

Adam

Old September 12th 04, 05:02 AM
The Weiss Family

Actually they might turn out to very decent radios esp. if you are only
vfr
and multiple backup freqs. are not that important. They perform well, are
built like tanks, legal and parts are still available.

You know, you're probably right. For my needs they'll work great.
They're just not as glamorous as a digital flip-flop type.

Adam

Old September 12th 04, 05:04 AM
The Weiss Family

Good airplane, Beech-built, solid!
Handles well, roomy interior, good visibility.
Trailing link landing gear gives smooth landings.
Not a speedster, though.

All reasons why I like it so much (except the last one), but I'm in no hurry
;-)

Old September 12th 04, 05:06 AM
The Weiss Family

Jay,

Are you still planning on flying out for the air races next week?
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Adam

Old September 12th 04, 07:44 AM
Javier Henderson

"The Weiss Family" writes:

Actually they might turn out to very decent radios esp. if you are only

vfr
and multiple backup freqs. are not that important. They perform well, are
built like tanks, legal and parts are still available.

You know, you're probably right. For my needs they'll work great.
They're just not as glamorous as a digital flip-flop type.

I hereby wager $1.00 that the KX170's will outlast everything else
in the airplane.

-jav