Sunglasses?

Old October 16th 04, 03:50 AM
Greg Butler

I like oakley half jackets, they give you a nice clear view, much better
than lower priced brands. But be ready to shell out $100 at least for them.

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352@a mugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Old October 16th 04, 07:11 AM
C J Campbell

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352@a mugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

Old October 16th 04, 10:19 AM
ShawnD2112

I have to say I disagree with that, CJ. I would actually highly recommend
them.

I've been flying with polarized prescription glasses for about 5 years now.
They come with limitations but overall, for day VFR flying (and when else
would you need them?) the advantages far outweigh the limitations. The only
limitation I have is that sometimes I can't see the GPS display at certain
head angles. So I tilt my head slightly and I can read it fine. No real
problems. The elimination of glare is well worth it in my opinion.

Has your experience with them been different?

Shawn

Old October 16th 04, 01:46 PM
Jim Fisher

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352@a mugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good
pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

I disagree, Chris.

Polarized glasses really cut through the haze when flying into the sun on
really hazy days. I never had much problem with the LCD display issue that
is bandied about.

Otherwise, I really prefer my Serengeti's with the amber lens before I
dropped the things from a height of only two feet and they BROKE IN HALF at
the nose. Very good quality lens but I won't buy them again.

As for reviews, there was a sunglasses review posted here a couple of years
ago. The lenses were rated for clarity, UV blocking and all the other
characteristics people want in quality glasses.

Oakley's X-Metal were the "best" but cost mega bucks. Plain ol' Foster
Grant available from Wal-Mart were ranked very good so that's what I've been
wearing and am pleased.

--
Jim Fisher

Old October 16th 04, 06:18 PM
Roger

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 23:11:19 -0700, "C J Campbell"
wrote:

"Royce Brown" wrote in message
news:fc.003d093b01ea0325003d093b01ea0325.1ea0352@ amugonline.org...
Anyone know a good brand of sunglasses for flying? Seems flying in the
Atlanta area the glare always mandates the use of sunglasses. A good pair
that cuts the glare but has arms to keep the sound out.

Any suggestions?

Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

They are my favorites. I almost always wear polarized bifocals on
sunshiny days. They also work well in haze.

But... I only have one modern instrument, my Garmin 295 and I can see
the display in that quite well.

OTOH the radio in my car (Kenwood TMD700 144/440 MHz) has a blank
screen when I put them on.

I prefer them to any other type of glasses, BUT I'd want to try them
in any particular plane BEFORE flying.

I also wear photogray lenses in another pair, but found "Transitions"
(TM) to be useless.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old October 16th 04, 06:53 PM
Peter Duniho

"Roger" wrote in message
Whatever you like, but avoid polarized sunglasses.

They are my favorites. I almost always wear polarized bifocals on
sunshiny days. They also work well in haze.

Interesting. After numerous times of seeing threads warning against
polarized sunglasses, one instance finally shows up where someone (and three
people, so far, in this case) defends polarization.

That said, I agree with CJ. There are a number of reasons to avoid
polarization, all of which have been stated before. But for me, the one
that matters the most is that polarization cuts glare reflected from other
airplanes. Since very often, my first (and sometimes only) notice of other
traffic in the air with me is the reflection of sunlight from the aircraft,
I definitely would not like for that reflection to be eliminated by
polarized sunglasses.

Pete

Old October 16th 04, 08:03 PM
ShawnD2112

That's what I initially thought, too, but it doesn't really do that. They
cut down but don't eliminate glare. The only problem I have spotting
traffic is that I fly a Pitts which has sod-all visibility anyway! I can
still see the top wing with my polarized glasses on though!

Shawn

Old October 17th 04, 12:44 AM
Peter Duniho

"ShawnD2112" wrote in message
. uk...
That's what I initially thought, too, but it doesn't really do that. They
cut down but don't eliminate glare.

Sunglasses should make it easier to see other traffic. Any reduction in the
visibility of other traffic, whether it's to cut the glare completely or
simply to reduce it, is a negative in my book, since that's counter to one
of the purposes of a pair of sunglasses.

The only problem I have spotting traffic is that I fly a Pitts which has
sod-all visibility anyway! I can still see the top wing with my polarized
glasses on though!

For me, it's more a matter of seeing *other* airplanes' wings, not those on
my own.

Pete

Old October 17th 04, 03:59 AM
David Johnson

They are my favorites. I almost always wear polarized bifocals on
sunshiny days. They also work well in haze.

But... I only have one modern instrument, my Garmin 295 and I can see
the display in that quite well.

OTOH the radio in my car (Kenwood TMD700 144/440 MHz) has a blank
screen when I put them on.

I prefer them to any other type of glasses, BUT I'd want to try them
in any particular plane BEFORE flying.

I also wear photogray lenses in another pair, but found "Transitions"
(TM) to be useless.

I have worn polarized sunglasses for driving and flying for many years,
and prefer them to other types. The brown tinted variety seems best
to me. There is an occasional problem with an LCD screen, but since
I use flip-up type clip-ons, I just raise them as needed (as I do to
read sectionals of other printed matter). The worst problem with LCD
screens seems to be at the gas pumps of self-serve stations.

Drawbacks of clip-ons? They add to the weight perched on your nose.
They are also another set of lenses to collect dust (and keep clean).
They also scratch easily. OTOH they are pretty cheap.

David Johnson