RADARSCOPE - IOS Android app for Hi Res Radar and Lightning Data inthe cockpit - My Review

Old January 23rd 15, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default RADARSCOPE - IOS Android app for Hi Res Radar and Lightning Data inthe cockpit - My Review

In light of the proposal to allow electronic devices in the cockpit, thought I give an update on this app. I listened to a presentation of the developer recently at American Meteorological Society (AMS) convention (early January 2015).

http://radarscope.tv/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rada...288419283?mt=8

In my opinion this is the best app out there for a phone or tablet. It has high resolution doppler radar data, lightning data and 20 frame loops (update rate depends on mode radar is in and varies from 5-10minutes). Also displays NWS Severe thunderstorm and tornado polygons.

Pros and Cons with FOREFLIGHT:

1) Foreflight uses mosaic radar data of only a few types. But, it also has many other types of meteorological data.

2) RadarScope uses single source radar which is more accurate and detailed with all the official products such as echo tops, VIL, multiple elevation angles, velocity data. Most of these types are a bit technical. However, in the radar clear air mode, the superhi res reflectivity will see convergence lines and outflow boundaries quite nicely.

3) Foreflight has outstanding geo-referencing for aviation. RADARSCOPE only shows cities, county lines and major highways. When zoomed in, this makes it difficult to locate yourself. It does show the devices current location.

4) RadarScope Pro (subscription) version includes 20 frames with lightning data; No subscription 5 frames and no ligtning

If RadarScope improved it's georeferencing for aviation or allowed user waypoints (like soaring databases), it would be a "deal breaker" for glider racing. The developer, J. Michael Wolfinbarger, was asked about improving map backgrounds. Unfortunately, there is a technical software reason why this cannot easily be enhanced in the Apple IOS product. Something to do with OpenGL. So, he continues to investigate. He didn't sound too receptive to allowing users to upload their own polygons and data points.

I have only used RadarScope while on the ground as a meteorologist... not in the air. But, if good map backgrounds became available, it would make a huge difference strategy wise in the cockpit on stormy days.

Cost is $9.99 for download. The subscription $9.99/year give you the 20 frame rate loops and lightning data.

FYI...

Walter Rogers WX
Old January 24th 15, 02:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 7:07:53 PM UTC-5, WaltWX wrote:

I have only used RadarScope while on the ground as a meteorologist... not in the air. But, if good map backgrounds became available, it would make a huge difference strategy wise in the cockpit on stormy days.

I've found https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/noaa...458225159?mt=8 invaluable for flying and boating for several years (using wi-fi on the ground only).

I understood that it was not possible to obtain sufficient internet bandwidth to run these apps on a cell phone while in the air in a glider. Have you overcome that obstacle?
Old January 24th 15, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Using these apps with sufficient bandwidth to be practical in the air is problematical right now. However, it won't be too many more years before that bandwidth is easily available in flight. Even now... a highly motivated pilot/crew could find a way to get the bandwidth through airborne internet services.

Walt WX

Old January 25th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

If the app is designed to work in the background and download updates whenever a connection is available, it could be relatively up to date.
Add high res satellite views (sounds like it doesn't support this right now) and I can see this being very valuable.

Ramy
Old January 25th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Ramy,

That's an interesting feature and good suggestion. I'm wondering if the developer could add that option along with a note on the display indicating when it was last updated.

I thought about asking the developer if high res visible GOES imagery could be added, but never got around to it. Probably should bring that up again. Did you know that the new GOES-R launched in early 2016 will have 0.5km visible imagery updated every 5 minutes? That would be a great addition to following convergence zones or shear lines. Along with clear air echoes from radar... you're right. That would be very useful for cross country strategizing

Walt WX

On Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 4:02:18 PM UTC-8, Ramy wrote:
If the app is designed to work in the background and download updates whenever a connection is available, it could be relatively up to date.
Add high res satellite views (sounds like it doesn't support this right now) and I can see this being very valuable.

Ramy

Brief review of Android XCSoar on the Streak 5 and LK8000 on the MIO 400 Mike[_8_] Soaring 7 April 1st 11 10:22 PM
Trying again: Collings Foundation B-17 at Newcastle Airport inDelaware - B-17 cockpit.jpg - B-17 cockpit.jpg (1/5) Jim Breckenridge Aviation Photos 1 August 30th 08 07:36 PM
Trying again: Collings Foundation B-17 at Newcastle Airport in Delaware - B-17 cockpit.jpg - B-17 cockpit.jpg (0/5) Go-dot Aviation Photos 0 August 28th 08 11:39 PM
Old pics - new scans - EE Lightning cockpit Dave Kearton Aviation Photos 0 January 14th 08 01:10 PM
Integrating onboard weather radar data with satellite-fed Doppler radar [email protected] General Aviation 3 January 9th 05 09:57 PM