Landing lights

Old May 7th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Landing lights

We seem to be going thru landing lights more frequently than we should in
our 172's. Are there any STCd alternatives to the standard Cessna part?
Maybe a LED lamp or at least something more durable? I realize it's only a
$40 part, but we're a new club and every little bit helps...

Thanks

Old May 7th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Isn't that a sign of unusual vibration? I know some in the Mooney
community have had the same problem and its always indicated something
else (vibration wise).

-Robert

Old May 7th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Isn't that a sign of unusual vibration? I know some in the Mooney
community have had the same problem and its always indicated something
else (vibration wise).

-Robert

Unusual vibration in a 172?

How do you detect that without instrumentation or the prop falling apart
before your eyes?

On my first take off in a 172R my first thought was the engine had failed
because everything wasn't shaking like hell like all the other carbureted
172s I had flown.

I'm amazed that the lights in the pre fuel injected models last more than
once or twice around the pattern in spite of all the vibration, especially
the ones with the lights in the cowl.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 7th 06, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert Barker" wrote in message
We seem to be going thru landing lights more frequently than we should in
our 172's. Are there any STCd alternatives to the standard Cessna part?
Maybe a LED lamp or at least something more durable? I realize it's only
a $40 part, but we're a new club and every little bit helps...

http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_systems.htm

I have these and they are awesome. A bit more to install, but have a 5 year
warranty. It eliminates the most common part that breaks in regular landing
lights. What's more, they're about five times brighter than "normal" lights.

http://speedmods.com/Boom_Beam/boom_beam_AML.htm Pick the one that fits.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old May 7th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
Isn't that a sign of unusual vibration? I know some in the Mooney
community have had the same problem and its always indicated something
else (vibration wise).

-Robert

Actually, I think it might be more that the planes are being used for a lot
of training at this point. We're probably replacing one every 6 to 9
months...

Old May 7th 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Assuming you have the isolated cowls and cowl mounted lites, next time
you have the cowl off spray silicon on the baffle sealing surfaces to
minimize the stick-slip excitation from the engine torsional vibration.

I also added a shock mount system to the landing lite housing when I
first tried the above, but that is not an approved mod. Something
worked though as I have not had a landing lite go in years on my 172M.

Old May 7th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Robert,

First, which size lamp does your 172 use, PAR 36 or PAR 46?

As others have already pointed out, you can use a Q4509 in place
of the PAR 36 GE 4509 and get more light and logner life.

My 1976 M model uses a PAR 46 lamp and I found a Halogen
lamp that would replace it, the GE H7635. This is a halogen 12V,
50W PAR 46 lamp that fits into the GE 4537 mount. I found them
at http://www.bulbs.com for $14.95 in you buy a case. I order a couple
of lamps from http:wwww/RockAuto.com for about $18.00 each.

The other idea is to stop the vibration that is causing the shorten lamp
life. The following is from a post back in March that discusses a kit
Cessna made to change the resonant frequency of the cowl with some
fiberglass stiffeners and an idea about mounting the lamp holder on
rubber isolation mounts.

Ronnie

"John_F" wrote in message
My 1976 C172M had the same problem. Cessna has or at least had a kit
that stiffened the lower nose bowl and changed the resonant frequency
of the assembly to move it away from the resonance freq of the lamp.
It takes a couple of hours to install the honeycomb and glass cloth
but it has worked for more than 20 years on my plane. Before
installing the kit my landing light would not last more than 3 hours
on or off. Now it lasts for years.
John

Old May 7th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Sat, 6 May 2006 20:56:54 -0600, "Robert Barker"
wrote:

We seem to be going thru landing lights more frequently than we should in
our 172's. Are there any STCd alternatives to the standard Cessna part?
Maybe a LED lamp or at least something more durable? I realize it's only a
$40 part, but we're a new club and every little bit helps...

A few suggestions.

1. Make sure that pilots are not turning the lights on/off/on in a
short timespan. I have accidentally toggled the light switch on my
Cherokee, and it blew the light very quickly.

2. I orientate my bulbs so that the filament is vertical. This is
supposed to help with the vibration issue, but who knows.

3. If you have wingtip lights and nose bowl lights, use only the
wingtip lights when possible. There is less vibration in the wingtips
than in the nose bowl.

-Nathan

Old May 8th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Some owners have reported that a bead of RTV around the lamp housing
helps reduce the effects of vibration, as well as the vertical
orientation trick reported previously.

I have the Precise Flight Pulselite STC installed on my 172. Besides
the enhanced daylight visibility advantage that it is designed for, a
side benefit of the pulselite is that it significantly extends bulb
life by decreasing lamp heat. Others have reported this and I have
found it to be true as well. It is not an expensive add-on, as things
go.

Mike H