First impressions of flight

Old March 29th 07, 11:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default First impressions of flight

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad writes:

I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
PC and peripherals, just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more
than of the RM30,000 required to get PPL on a cesna 172P at our local
flying club.

But on a continuing basis, it's cheaper, since once he has the setup, he can
fly the sim for free. In contrast, every hour spent in a real aircraft costs
money. In fact, everything about real aviation costs a fortune. A fancy
computer provides more bang for the buck.

Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

It was probably the more economical of two options. He could fly for an hour
a month in a real aircraft, or fly for several hours a day in a simulated
aircraft.

I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.

Or they may simply want to fly their own 737s, which would never be possible
in real life.

Old March 29th 07, 01:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad writes:

I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
PC and peripherals, just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more
than of the RM30,000 required to get PPL on a cesna 172P at our local
flying club.

But on a continuing basis, it's cheaper, since once he has the setup,
he can fly the sim for free.

You can't fly a sim, moron.

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave Doe

In article ,
says...
[...]

Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you? Don't answer
that, please.

--
Duncan
Old March 29th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.religion.asatru,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

You can't fly a sim, moron.

You just haven't tried a really good simulator.

Old March 29th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Dave Doe writes:

Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?

In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

Old March 29th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

You can't fly a sim, moron.

You just haven't tried a really good simulator.

Bwawhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhahwhhahwhahwhahhwhahwhah whahwhhahwhahwhahwhhah
whahwhahwhhahwhahwhahhwhahwhahwhha!

Well, the one I use cost more than the national debt of many countries.
It costs more than th eBoeing it represents, IIRC. It's certified for
zero time training, and has a state of the art visuals.

And it's still just a box of tricks.

Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys who
can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice versa.

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Dave Doe writes:

Real life? You do know what "simulator" means don't you?

In a good simulation, you forget that it's simulation until it's over.

Good grief, you're a compleat idiot, arten't you?

Bertie
Old March 29th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.disasters.aviation
Mxsmanic

Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Well, the one I use cost more than the national debt of many countries.
It costs more than th eBoeing it represents, IIRC. It's certified for
zero time training, and has a state of the art visuals.

Costs more than the Boeing it represents? I don't think so. A typical
full-motion simulator of that type would go for perhaps $30 million, whereas
something like a 737 starts at around $135 million new.

Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys who
can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice versa.

Pilots spend a lot of time blowing smoke and tilting mirrors, too.

Old March 29th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Of course you don't. you don't know ****.

typical full-motion simulator of that type would go for perhaps $30
million, whereas something like a 737 starts at around $135 million
new.

So?

Oh, and by the way, it's common knowledge amongst pilots, that guys
who can handle th esim well are usually **** in the ariplane and vice
versa.

Pilots spend a lot of time blowing smoke and tilting mirrors, too.

I don';t do either, fjukkwit.

Bertie
Old March 30th 07, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roger[_4_]

On 29 Mar 2007 00:35:53 -0700, "Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad"
wrote:

On Mar 29, 11:16 am, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
I couldn't find the "pause" button.

The frame rate was really good, and all the autogen was turned on.

I also liked the multi-screen 3-d effect, and the true-motion... :-)

I heard from a PC salesman that a pilot spent more than RM18,000 for
PC and peripherals,

I don't know what that works out to in USD, but if you go whole hog on
a PC/sim that can be used for training (with an instructor present)
you can easily hit twice the cost of getting the license.

just to be able to play MSFS. This price is more than of the RM30,000
required to get PPL
on a cesna 172P at our local flying club.

My two main computers, one of which is state-of-the-art, or was two
months ago (now it's just an also ran) could easily pass the cost of
getting the license. OTOH they get used for a lot more than flight
simming.

Hmmm...Just ran the cost of the hard drives I'm using through the
calculator. Those drives cost me more than it did the get the license
and I'm not even including any other accessories.

Perhaps he is so addicted to the multi-scren 3-d effect and true
motion that he had to get similar effects all the time.

I don't find much of a 3-D effect with multiple screens.

I also heard from him that these people who play MSFS are also Boeing
737 commercial pilots. The salesman guessed that probably the pilots
would like to experience aerobatic flights, such as flying inverted
which will not be allowed on real commercial planes.

Hey, now... I have a copy of a video of a 707 doing a roll with a
whole load of photographers and press on board.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com