A question about the Transall C160

Old September 28th 03, 09:17 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"ArVa" wrote:

Let's let Gen. James L. Jones, USMC, NATO Supreme Commander, answer your
(smart and intellectually honest) question :

"France has probably the most expeditionary army [i.e., ready to
deploy to distant battlefields] in Europe. And writ large. They have
impressive military capabilities across the whole spectrum of
operations. They're good at peacekeeping; their Air Force is modern,
state of the art; their Navy is modern; their land Army I know about
because I served with them in northern Iraq 11 years ago, and I know
their generals-this is a very, very fine army ".

Note the qualifiers...

"...most expeditionary army in Europe." That's not saying much,
especially since it would take them six months to get any of that army
overseas without American help.

"Writ large" is, to say the least, a kind exaggeration.

It's a very fine army for *Europe*. It's just not that big, or capable
of doing much overseas.

He made this statement in an interview last week with Newsweek :
http://www.msnbc.com/news/972918.asp. There are other sources besides Fox
News, you know...

....and there are other Generals besides ones who grew up in France.

"Continental sensibilities" means he says nice diplomatic things about
the Europeans he has to work with on a regular basis. If he were
telling the truth, he'd be the *former* NATO Supreme Commander...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 28th 03, 10:30 PM
ArVa

"Chad Irby" a écrit dans le message de
om...
"...most expeditionary army in Europe." That's not saying much,
especially since it would take them six months to get any of that army
overseas without American help.

!?

...and there are other Generals besides ones who grew up in France.

Sure... But if more Americans and French knew better the other country, its
history, its culture and its political system, maybe we wouldn't experience
the current situation...

"Continental sensibilities" means he says nice diplomatic things about
the Europeans he has to work with on a regular basis.

It's a bit true but nevertheless a nice comment by an American official is
so rare these days that it had to be underlined... :-)

If he were telling the truth, he'd be the *former* NATO Supreme

Commander...

And what would be such a truth? Hmm?
By the way, as you speak of former NATO commanders, here is what says
another one of them :

"if you really want allies, you got to listen to their opinions, you've got
to take them seriously, you've got to work with their issues. Every one of
our allied leaders is an elected leader, at least in Europe. And that means
they have domestic politics and political factors at home and economic
factors at home that influence their opinions. And those have to be
respected just like we would expect them to respect us for our political
system in the United States.
If we deal with our allies on a basis of respect, if we give them the
opportunity and the evidence and the arguments and the analysis that's
needed to help shape their public opinions, then we can expect them to go
along with us." Wesley Clark.

I don't know if he has any real chance to be your next president, but the
current administration would be inspired to take one or two of his ideas in
condideration...

ArVa

Old September 28th 03, 11:15 PM
tscottme

Brian wrote in message
The heat wave in France this last summer was an extreme case - How

many
Americans die in Chicago or New York during the occasional heatwaves -

let
alone the few that freeze to death in the winter (and they should be

USED to
the winter.

I think the highest number of deaths I've ever seen in Chicago is a few
hundred, not several thousand. During the winters I don't recall
anything larger than a handful. Maybe the French are just weak and
naive?

--

Scott
--------

Old September 28th 03, 11:22 PM
tscottme

Guy Wastiaux wrote in message
tscottme wrote:
France has an army?

--

Scott
--------
"Interestingly, we started to lose this war only after the embedded
reporters pulled out. Back when we got the news directly from Iraq,
there was victory and optimism. Now that the news is filtered

through
the mainstream media here in America, all we hear is death and
destruction and quagmire..." Ann Coulter
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2003/091703.htm

Hey what's the matter scotty ? Did you get too much pigeon **** while

in
Paris ? French chicks don't want to make love to you ?
I feel sorry for you : it seems you're just repeating what Dubya said

on
Fox News without trying to understand what & why he said that.
Perhaps you're one of those ugly fat people I saw in NYC : you know
those rednecks weighting 'bout 400 lbs
Btw, how the US troops doing in Liberia ? Why have they gone ? That
Taylor punk is a true terrorist, why don't you guys go & beat the crap
outta him ?

You mean you wouldn't complain like a mother-in-law if we beat the crap
out of some dictator, I doubt that. I don't even weigh 200 lbs and my
doctor has never recommended I lose any weight.

"In short: the same people who chide America for its short-attention
span
think we should have stopped military operations after the Taliban was
routed. (And they quite probably opposed that, for the usual reasons.)
The people who think it's all about oil like to snark that we should go
after Saudi Arabia. The people who complain that the current
administration is unable to act with nuance and diplomacy cannot admit
that we have completely different approaches for Iraq, for Iran, for
North Korea. The same people who insist we need the UN deride the
Administration when it gives the UN a chance to do something other than
throw rotten fruit.

The same people who accuse America of coddling dictators are sputtering
with bilious fury because we actually deposed one."

Old September 28th 03, 11:45 PM
tscottme

ArVa wrote in message
[...]

Wesley Clarke?, now I know why you seem so out of touch. We're only
days away from his claim that Vietnamese snipers stalked him in the US
or the Republicans broke up his daughter's wedding. Which brings up
another point. Doesn't Kosovo prove the French can't cope with a
conflict larger than a soccer riot?

--

Scott
--------

Old September 29th 03, 12:06 AM
Chad Irby

"ArVa" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote:
"...most expeditionary army in Europe." That's not saying much,
especially since it would take them six months to get any of that army
overseas without American help.

!?

The French (and for that matter, most of Europe) have very little in the
way of strategic airlift assets, and about the same amount of sealift.
They're an "expeditionary army" with no transportation. Their entire
current airlift assets (pending the new Airbus planes on order) are a
small fraction of the US. For a heavy sealift, they have to rent ships
from the commercial fleet to get anywhere.

...and there are other Generals besides ones who grew up in France.

Sure... But if more Americans and French knew better the other country, its
history, its culture and its political system, maybe we wouldn't experience
the current situation...

Well, if the French weren't trying so hard to isolate their culture
(official language, et cetera), and if the French weren't trying so hard
to establish themselves as a powerful country (despite the evidence)...

"Continental sensibilities" means he says nice diplomatic things about
the Europeans he has to work with on a regular basis.

It's a bit true but nevertheless a nice comment by an American official is
so rare these days that it had to be underlined... :-)

Rarity doesn't mean accuracy. In this case, the old saw about diplomacy
being a bunch of people lying over dinner rings true.

If he were telling the truth, he'd be the *former* NATO Supreme

Commander...

And what would be such a truth? Hmm?

That France, along with most of the European countries, can't exert much
force beyond their own borders without significant American help.

By the way, as you speak of former NATO commanders, here is what says
another one of them :

"if you really want allies, you got to listen to their opinions, you've got
to take them seriously, you've got to work with their issues. Every one of
our allied leaders is an elected leader, at least in Europe. And that means
they have domestic politics and political factors at home and economic
factors at home that influence their opinions. And those have to be
respected just like we would expect them to respect us for our political
system in the United States.
If we deal with our allies on a basis of respect, if we give them the
opportunity and the evidence and the arguments and the analysis that's
needed to help shape their public opinions, then we can expect them to go
along with us." Wesley Clark.

Funny how he doesn't mention anything about European armies having any
significant power outside of their own borders.

I don't know if he has any real chance to be your next president, but the
current administration would be inspired to take one or two of his ideas in
condideration...

Clark, if he gets the nomination, will lose. Badly. But don't worry...
some of his past statements about Iraq are already coming back to haunt
him. No chance for Wesley Clark.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 29th 03, 03:46 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

Among the trash that passes for posts in this topic, where I still did not see any answers to the original question (or maybe I missed them) your posts stand out as a shining example of good postership! Deleting posters with rude language makes the newsgroup a LOT smaller

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan
Old September 29th 03, 04:39 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

chad, in comparison with a superpower, no other power can do
much. There's no point in saying 'the French' are useless because they
can't do what the US can. Quality of a country is not judged on those
kind of arguments, I am sure you will see if you think a bit about
it. The US, and countries the world over, make do with what they have
at the time. If they can't do, they look for another solution.

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan
Old September 29th 03, 05:12 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

chad, in comparison with a superpower, no other power can do much.
There's no point in saying 'the French' are useless because they
can't do what the US can.

But there *is* a lot of use in pointing out that they *can't* do
something that someone else was claiming. Saying that they have
significant "expeditionary capability" when they certainly do not does
nothing useful except feed some egos.

Quality of a country is not judged on those kind of arguments, I am
sure you will see if you think a bit about it.

No, I judge the French on many other issues. But pretending that they
can do something they can't as a counter to those issues is just silly.

The US, and countries the world over, make do with what they have
at the time. If they can't do, they look for another solution.

Yes, they buy the stuff they need, or learn how to do without. But
claiming that they can do something necessary (exert meaningful power
overseas) when they can't (not enough transport) is delusion, pure and
simple.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old September 29th 03, 06:06 AM
Skysurfer

Alan Minyard wrote :

France is an enemy nation.

Al Minyard

Not for the terrorists.

Too true!!

It's true that USA is the friend of good democracies such as Pakistan,
Saudi Arabia and Kuwait where the terrorists don't come from ...

GPT (Gulfport MS) ILS 14 question A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 18 January 30th 05 04:51 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM