breaking news russian nuclear warship set to explode

Old March 23rd 04, 11:05 AM
Aerophotos

Default breaking news russian nuclear warship set to explode

breaking news it seems .. read it and wonder..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1072264.htm
Old March 23rd 04, 04:18 PM
Krztalizer

"I find more order on a small mine-trawler commandeered by a lieutenant."

.....commandeered...? I wonder if that wasn't a wee typo.

What makes Petr any worse than any other broken down, undermaintained ex-Soviet
warship? They are all in this shape. What isn't rusted shut is rusted
through.

Old March 23rd 04, 08:57 PM
Yama

"Krztalizer" wrote in message

"I find more order on a small mine-trawler commandeered by a lieutenant."

....commandeered...? I wonder if that wasn't a wee typo.

What makes Petr any worse than any other broken down, undermaintained

ex-Soviet
warship? They are all in this shape. What isn't rusted shut is rusted
through.

Political infighting.
CO of Petr Veliky is the nephew of one of Kuroyedov's biggest critics. Our
good admiral is just firing back. Also, PV is flag ship of the Northern
Fleet, one of the newest combatants and "shop window" ship. Criticizing it
is a sure way to get attention - as we have witnessed today.

It's unlikely that PV is any more likely to "blow up" than any other ship in
the Russian fleet. Basically admiral is unhappy with state of the fleet
(probably for good reason) and wants attention brought to it.

Old March 23rd 04, 09:46 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Yama" wrote in message

It's unlikely that PV is any more likely to "blow up" than any other ship

in
the Russian fleet.

Given what happened to the Kursk thats not very reassuring.

Keith

Old March 23rd 04, 11:48 PM
Krztalizer

Political infighting.
CO of Petr Veliky is the nephew of one of Kuroyedov's biggest critics. Our
good admiral is just firing back. Also, PV is flag ship of the Northern
Fleet, one of the newest combatants and "shop window" ship. Criticizing it
is a sure way to get attention - as we have witnessed today.

It's unlikely that PV is any more likely to "blow up" than any other ship in
the Russian fleet. Basically admiral is unhappy with state of the fleet
(probably for good reason) and wants attention brought to it.

What a difference a little time makes. At one time, Petr and his brothers used
to be in my dreams - I wrote a collection of short stories that got passed
around the air dets on other frigates about a post-wwIII scenario where most of
the people of our planet died, and the few exceptions were people on ships out
at sea when the war happened. PV was the wild card - a 'free ship' that sank
all over warships on sight.

We'd sit around the table in the forward berthing compartment on our puny
little warship and brainstorm ways of striking a Kirov - didn't take much brain
power to figure out we would just be chunks stuck in Petr's teeth if we ever
got in its way.

The Kirovs were magnificent ships and I hope that they keep them around in
museums after the are retired. For their era, they were really something.

v/r
Gordon
PS, I agree - I doubt if his material condition would be bad enough to make it
blow up, any more so than any other boat.
Old March 24th 04, 07:16 AM
Michael Petukhov

Aerophotos wrote in message ...
breaking news it seems .. read it and wonder..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1072264.htm

Russian political games ignite wishfull thinking in West.
No more no less.

Michael

http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/0/28.html?id_issue=9682537

Peter the Great cruiser doesn't threaten Russia's nuclear security
MOSCOW. March 23 (Interfax) - Russian Navy Commander-in-Chief Vladimir
Kuroyedov said the situation on the Peter the Great cruiser poses no
threat to Russia's nuclear security.

The nuclear security service on the cruiser "meets all the necessary
requirements," Kuroyedov told reporters on Tuesday. However, "the
living conditions and the condition of the general-purpose quarters
are unsatisfactory and do not meet the requirements of the ship's
charter," he said.

"The media reports that the Peter the Great cruiser is in poor
condition, which may pose a threat, are not true," Kuroyedov said.

So the guy did not really like "the living conditions"...

Michael
Old March 24th 04, 08:13 AM
Dave Kearton

"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...
| Aerophotos wrote in message
| breaking news it seems .. read it and wonder..
|
| http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1072264.htm
|
| Russian political games ignite wishfull thinking in West.
| No more no less.
|
| Michael
|
| http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/0/28.html?id_issue=9682537
|
| Peter the Great cruiser doesn't threaten Russia's nuclear security
| MOSCOW. March 23 (Interfax) - Russian Navy Commander-in-Chief Vladimir
| Kuroyedov said the situation on the Peter the Great cruiser poses no
| threat to Russia's nuclear security.
|
| The nuclear security service on the cruiser "meets all the necessary
| requirements," Kuroyedov told reporters on Tuesday. However, "the
| living conditions and the condition of the general-purpose quarters
| are unsatisfactory and do not meet the requirements of the ship's
| charter," he said.
|
| "The media reports that the Peter the Great cruiser is in poor
| condition, which may pose a threat, are not true," Kuroyedov said.
|
| So the guy did not really like "the living conditions"...
|
| Michael

Too much radiation in them ?

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old March 24th 04, 02:54 PM
Bob Urz

Dave Kearton wrote:
"Michael Petukhov" wrote in message
om...
| Aerophotos wrote in message
| breaking news it seems .. read it and wonder..
|
| http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1072264.htm
|
| Russian political games ignite wishfull thinking in West.
| No more no less.
|
| Michael
|
| http://www.interfax.ru/e/B/0/28.html?id_issue=9682537
|
| Peter the Great cruiser doesn't threaten Russia's nuclear security
| MOSCOW. March 23 (Interfax) - Russian Navy Commander-in-Chief Vladimir
| Kuroyedov said the situation on the Peter the Great cruiser poses no
| threat to Russia's nuclear security.
|
| The nuclear security service on the cruiser "meets all the necessary
| requirements," Kuroyedov told reporters on Tuesday. However, "the
| living conditions and the condition of the general-purpose quarters
| are unsatisfactory and do not meet the requirements of the ship's
| charter," he said.
|
| "The media reports that the Peter the Great cruiser is in poor
| condition, which may pose a threat, are not true," Kuroyedov said.
|
| So the guy did not really like "the living conditions"...
|
| Michael

Too much radiation in them ?

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Some people pay to get that "permanent glow" look.
Those sailors might get it free. What a deal.

Bob

Old March 24th 04, 05:43 PM
Alan Minyard

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 02:14:38 GMT, "Gord Beaman" ) wrote:

(Krztalizer) wrote:

v/r
Gordon
PS, I agree - I doubt if his material condition would be bad enough to make it
blow up, any more so than any other boat.

I doubt that there's much danger of it "blowing up" (as in a
nuclear reaction) but as I understand it there may be a danger of
any poorly maintained Nuclear Vessel to have a failure in some
critical area of the reactor which could heavily contaminate the
vessel making it unfit for human habitation (bigtime). So there
you are...what to do now? How safe is it to 'deep six' such a
vessel?

Several nuke subs have gone down, with no evidence of any
negative impact on the environment (Thresher, Scorpion, unknown
number of Russian boats).

Al Minyard