Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Old March 24th 15, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill
Old March 24th 15, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 9:04:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

It might be helpful if you told us what part of the world you are in, how far you are likely to be towing and some idea of your budget.

Here in the USA, gasoline is currently around $2 a gallon (about 50 c a liter) and mileage is not as big a concern as in Europe. My Lexus SUV tow vehicle weighs two tons, has a 5-liter engine, gets 15 mpg (US) and will cruise all day at 80 mph with a glider trailer. I tow thousands of miles a year between states. I wouldn't dream of having such a vehicle in Europe with their narrow roads, high fuel costs and shorter distances.

Mike
Old March 24th 15, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

On 3/24/2015 10:03 AM, wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL
certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of
purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would
do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage
that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something
that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but
also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus
trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

Hello Bill,

Good to read you're sufficiently into "the soaring thing" to be considering a
glider-encumbered future! :-) Everything about soaring is a blast,
*especially* the cross-country bits (both flying *and* driving). Have glider
will travel...

As for tow vehicles - working from The Most General toward the More Specific -
be aware there's two fundamental schools of thought in the U.S.: a) bigger is
better; and b) not necessarily...

A search of Google's RAS archives will reveal multiple/recent threads
discussing the topic. Having towed (mostly - not entirely - 15-meter glider
trailers; mostly brake-free) throughout the intermountain west for over 35
years with a (the same, superbly reliable) 2600lb vehicle with drum brakes all
around, that got over 20mpg pulling the trailer - no accidents, no incidents,
and only two (briefly) alarm-worthy "developing situations" - I fall into
school "b)". Not that I ever did it, but the V8-powered vehicle would've
easily smoked the tires had I done even a mild "clutch-drop" so it wasn't
underpowered, either.

I'm sure others will chime in with more specific current vehicles you might
consider.

Have fun!

Bob W.
Old March 24th 15, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

I have a clamshell trailer (Avionic) for a 15 meter standard class glider; it has hydraulic wheel brakes. All told, with tow-out gear (dolly, towbar, wing wheel, and a wing stand for rigging) it weighs a pound or two under 2,000 lbs. Tongue weight is about 150 lbs. I invested in a good European tow hitch - a Bosal - and am very happy with it.

I tow with a 2006 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1.9 l engine, 5 speed manual. 100 hp/177 ft-lbs torque. I get 43 usmpg normally, and 32 when towing at Eastern US interstate speeds (55-65 mph). Newer Jettas have more power but are more complex.

The trailer with all those incandescent lights drew more power than the Jetta electrical systems liked, but a powered adapter (drawn from the trunk 12v electrical outlet) fixed that - readily available. I specified non-LED lights since the bulb minder on the Jetta has a reputation on alerting on LEDs as blown bulbs.

Thread he https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ng/a3D1QE2qe8A

Old March 24th 15, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I estimate my glider and trailer at about 1,800 lbs and tow it with my
wife's Subaru Outback with 3.6 liter flat 6 engine. It easily tows over
the mountain passes in New Mexico and Colorado, gets mileage in the 30s
without the trailer and mid 20s with the trailer. And, while I'm
flying, my wife has an AWD car to use for finding hiking trails in the
mountains.

--
Dan Marotta

Old March 24th 15, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 12:24:01 PM UTC-4, Mike the Strike wrote:
[...]

Hi Mike,

I live in Rhode Island and fly out of Danielson CT with the Connecticut Soaring Association, a small but fast growing club. I started Aero towing for them 3 years ago and last fall got my glider add on.

I would be towing my glider primarily to destinations in NH, VT, NY, NJ and PA. With perhaps an occasional trip down the East Coast of the US. So by East Coast standards their would be some trips into the mountains. By Western Standards those would just be foot hills.

Thanks for any advice

Bill
Old March 24th 15, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

I've been very happy with my 2014 3.6L Subaru Outback in the last year and a half. Pulled empty cobras up to a Grob Twin Astir. Probably about 20 mpg average with a trailer and 26 without. 65000 miles and a couple coast to coast trips. Its been fun!
Old March 24th 15, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Cole - Oregon

Bill, I have towed a variety of club gliders with my Chrysler mini-van it tows well gets 20+ MPG towing over the mountains is comfortable and with the back seats removed provides ample space both for gear and sleeping. you might want to consider where you will be going and where you will stay when you get there.
Old March 24th 15, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

[...]

Ahhhhhh...... sorta local to me.

My most recent tow vehicle is a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT wagon with a 2.5L NA engine & 5MT. It does well, has gone from north NJ to NewCastle, VA, Dansville, NY, State college, PA, etc.
Newer cars will get better mileage than mine (I'm low 20'sMPG empty, high teens/20MPG with a trailer).
Usually either an enclosed std/15M trailer, I also pulled a ASK-21 (enclosed trailer) from Elmira, NY to NJ.

The wagon weighs a little more and is a little longer (both help with any trailer towing).
Old March 24th 15, 11:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy Clark, \B6\

List of my tow vehicles for DG-300 in fiberglass top Komet.
Towed to Washington State from Tennessee behind 1987 Volvo 240 wagon.
Other tow vehicles used:
1998 Subaru Outback Wagon
1993 Mitsubishi Montero
2008 Toyota Highlander
To/back from:Nevada (Air Sailing)
California (Montague)
Canada (Invermere)
Utah (Nephi)
Wenatchee (Pangborn) or Ephrata to Arlington for annuals many times
(over Stevens Pass: 4018ft/1225m or
Snoqualmie: 3022ft/921m and Blewett: 4100ft/1250m Passes)
All worked OK, across mountain passes, usually at 60-67 mph, except ALWAYS 57 mph on speedometer in California, etc., with acceptable gas mileage.
BTW, over 1000 mile RT, difference between 25 mph and 30 mph
is less than 7 gallons of petrol.
Better visibility and PIC feeling for me was in Montero or Highlander; but each of the above was fun and felt safe, and your feelings may vary.