Removing cherokee wings..

Old February 16th 05, 04:02 AM
pho

Default Removing cherokee wings..

Hi,
Has anyone had experience with removing the wings on a Cherokee 140?
Need to move it to rebuild. How hard is it to re-install them. I heard
something about tapered pins or bolts.. Pete

Old February 16th 05, 05:35 AM
COLIN LAMB

I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
Putting them back on was much tougher.

---

Old February 16th 05, 07:23 AM
Frank van der Hulst

COLIN LAMB wrote:
I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
Putting them back on was much tougher.

Trees aren't needed... a good 9G pull-up will do it for you.
Old February 16th 05, 09:09 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

COLIN LAMB wrote:

I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
Putting them back on was much tougher.

---

I don't think he said anything about putting them back on. Maybe your
method would be best. Kinda hard on the trees, though.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 16th 05, 09:11 AM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Frank van der Hulst wrote:

COLIN LAMB wrote:

I read about one guy who flew through two trees. They came off easily.
Putting them back on was much tougher.

Trees aren't needed... a good 9G pull-up will do it for you.

The major draw back to that method is the fuselage tends to get a bit
dented on impact.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old February 18th 05, 02:23 PM
satch

Sounds like it's time for "Mr. Chainsaw"

Old February 19th 05, 02:36 AM
Steve Foley

I tried e-mailing you the appropriate pages from the service manual, but it
bounced.

Pick up a service manual for the Cherokee 140. Pages 4-4 to 4-14.

Old February 26th 05, 07:10 PM
pho

Thanks for the info. So I guess you didn't have any major proplems
re-installing them. How about the gasket around the wing root? I have
heard its a bear to install... PEte

Jack Idler wrote:
I took my wings of my 1974 140 to do a spar inspection a few years back.
Not too difficult to do but it does require some extra hands. I built a
fuselage cradle out of 2x4's, jacked the wings, and slipped the cradle under
the cabin. I had access to a heavy tail stand. Undid everything (fuel
lines, wires, etc.), undid the spar bolts and slipped the wings out and laid
them on the grass. The airplane sat outside for a couple of weeks while I
did some cleaning up and painting. I recall that I took the tanks out of
the wings beforehand.

Reinstall was a reverse of the removal--extra hands very important to assist
in lining up the holes. As I recall, I used new spar bolts and nuts (the
bolts are specials with close sizing). My AME (A&P) supervised everything,
installed the bolts, and set the torques.