3x vs 4x rivet gun?

Old August 30th 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Michael Horowitz

Default 3x vs 4x rivet gun?

Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

Old August 30th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

The difference is the size of the gun and the force of it's hammering cycle.
In the experimental community (RV's primarily), people use 2x and 3x guns.
The 2x is good for rivets up to 1/8", and the 3x gives you enough power to
rivet at least one size larger rivet. The 4x would be even bigger. I
suspect a 4x gun is overkill for 99% of the rivets on light aircraft.

Using an over-sized gun for the job at hand requires a lot of expertise to
avoid damaging the structure or skins, and using an under-sized gun requires
too many blows on the rivet, causing excessive work hardening.

Old August 30th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

The difference is the size of the gun and the force of it's hammering cycle.
In the experimental community (RV's primarily), people use 2x and 3x guns.
The 2x is good for rivets up to 1/8", and the 3x gives you enough power to
rivet at least one size larger rivet. The 4x would be even bigger. I
suspect a 4x gun is overkill for 99% of the rivets on light aircraft.

Using an over-sized gun for the job at hand requires a lot of expertise to
avoid damaging the structure or skins, and using an under-sized gun requires
too many blows on the rivet, causing excessive work hardening.

It is really very easy to use a 4X gun on AN3 rivets. All you do is
install an adjustable flow restrictor on the gun and set it foe a very
low rate of fire. You can test it on a piece of board, where it should
go Tap--tap--tap, rather than BRRRRRT!

You end up with nicely-driven rivets and easy control of the gun and
bucking bar.

Old August 30th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

Harbor Freight has rivet guns? I can't wait to check this out...

Tony
Old August 31st 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article 1vjuk.72$Af3.25@trnddc06, Anthony W
wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

Harbor Freight has rivet guns? I can't wait to check this out...

Tony

No -- they have air hammers, which have a .401" bore, but make lousy
rivet guns.

Old August 31st 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

wrote:

Michael Horowitz wrote:
Looking thru e-bay I see mention of 3x and 4x rivet guns.
What's the difference? - Mike

Harbor Freight has rivet guns? I can't wait to check this out...

Tony

No -- they have air hammers, which have a .401" bore, but make lousy
rivet guns.

As I found out when I searched their site for them. I'm looking into
getting a rivet squeezer from Aircraft Spruce...

Tony

Rivet advise please mhorowit Home Built 15 August 26th 08 02:02 AM
rivet squeezer yokes Jim Burns Home Built 13 May 4th 06 01:52 PM
Rivet Guns tdfsks Home Built 3 July 21st 05 01:43 AM
Brake Rivet Problem Jonathan Goodish Owning 12 May 18th 05 08:14 PM
Another Rivet Question c hinds Home Built 6 October 31st 04 05:25 PM