E-mail Failure

Old September 6th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default E-mail Failure

To All:

Returning from my latest stay at the hospital I find Google has
acquired ISP.com, my internet service provider. In doing so it has
trashed my e-mail. If you are awaiting a reply, I'm not even aware
you've tried to contact me.

I'm told ISP/Google will get things all fixed up... someday. In the
meantime you can try using the alternate .

No progress on the Chugger project

-R.S.Hoover
Old September 6th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
stol

On Sep 5, 7:40*pm, " wrote:
To All:

Returning from my latest stay at the hospital I find Google has
acquired ISP.com, my internet service provider. *In doing so it has
trashed my e-mail. *If you *are awaiting a reply, I'm not even aware
you've tried to contact me.

I'm told ISP/Google will get things all fixed up... someday. *In the
meantime you can try using the alternate .

No progress on the Chugger project

-R.S.Hoover

How about a progress report on yourself. Some of us are concerned..

Ben.
Old September 6th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 5, 7:07*pm, stol wrote:

How about a progress report on yourself. Some of us are concerned..

Dear Ben (and the Group),

Since being diagnosed on 14 June 2008 I have lost about thirty
pounds.

With the pain under control I have graduated from a walker to a pair
of canes; then from two canes to one and within the last two weeks to
no canes at all. Moving carefully, I can cover a cane-free distance
of about 120 feet keeping within the patio. If I add a rest-break
between each round I can do that as many as four times per day. Get
me to a Box Store and latch me to a cart, I can examine the available
lumber although I can't lift nor load. Clean me up nice, you can't
even tell I'm sick... until you see me struggling to open a door for
my wife... or pick up the Sunday paper. But there is obvious
improvement in this area as well. I can now lift a full mug of coffee
without shaking like a paint mixer.

This period has proven to be a good time to sharpen tools, audit
drawings, glue-up prop-blanks and so forth. And while I CAN do those
things, I can't do them for very long -- ANY physical activity quickly
depletes my store of energy.

There were several experiments in progress at the time I was
diagnosed with cancer. Most of them had to be abandoned. An
exception was the experiment in which I coated pieces of door-skin
plywood with low-viscosity epoxy resin. The epoxy bonds with the
paper-thin outer lamination of the door-skin and alters its
properties in a number of ways.

Overall I think it's fair to say I'm a pretty lucky fellow.

-R.S.Hoover

Old September 6th 08, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tech Support

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:02:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sep 5, 7:07*pm, stol wrote:

[...]

************************************************* ************************

veeduber

I have several friends who have beaten the big "C". Hope you can also.

You talk about doorskin. I have used it a lot in my radio controled
model planes (large and small) and have found it to be what I would
describe as brittle. Will ur epoxy treatment make it more flexible and
not snap and break so easy when stessed?

Have a good week end and luck in your fight.

Big John
Old September 7th 08, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 6, 2:16*pm, Tech Support wrote:

You talk about doorskin. I have used it a lot in my radio controled
model planes (large and small) and have found it to be what I would
describe as brittle. Will ur epoxy treatment make it more flexible and
not snap and break so easy when stessed?

Yes, as a general rule. But grain orientation has a lot to do with
it.

Also, you'll need to experiment with your resin. I used 'MAS Epoxy,'
from Jamestown Distributors partly because of its water-like
consistancy but mostly because it's what I had on hand, left over from
a kayak project. I've also experimented with TitebondIII, Weldwood
'Plastic Resin' and a vinyl-ester that was on hand

If possible, you should test the part in full-scale. Doorskins are
rather shoddy goods when it comes to plywood and don't even come
close to the load-handling capabilities of real plywood. This can
result in test-strips or coupons passing your tests with flying colors
only to see the actual component de-laminate when subjected to the
actual load.

-R.S.Hoover
Old September 7th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

" wrote:
Dear Ben (and the Group),

Since being diagnosed on 14 June 2008 I have lost about thirty
pounds.

I learned last week that a friend of 25+ years has stage IV throat
cancer (he is just 47.) He is undergoing radiation treatment and had the
usual loss of appetite and weight loss. But he said his doctor gave him
samples of a drug that increased his appetite and greatly improved his
mental outlook, if not his prognosis. I believe it was one of the
progesterones that is described:

http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/QAs/L...d_faqs/QAs/599

May want to ask your doctor about it.
Old September 7th 08, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 6, 5:59*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:

May want to ask your doctor about it.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll raise the point during my next
appointment. But as dramatic as a 40lb weight loss may sound, it has
not reached the debilitating stage. I presently weigh 184-1/2. I
played high school ball at 185 and the Danang snap-shots at...

http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/2...t-history.html

....I weighed 167, thanks to a bout with dengue fever. Right now, what
bugs me is being unable to do anything in the way of useful work,
since the chemotherapy appears to feed off the muscle mass.

-R.S.Hoover
Old September 7th 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

wrote:

On Sep 5, 7:07*pm, stol wrote:

[...]

that is a fair ******* bob. that means you'll have to use lightweight
plastic spoons to actually stir the coffee.
I suppose it's a case of one step forward and two stirs backward :-)

I looked up your condition in my medical reference. you dont want to
know. suffice it to say that you are doing extremely well. extremely
well.

hang in there mate.
Stealth Pilot
Old September 7th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 7, 5:26*am, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

I looked up your condition in my medical reference....

Medical references usually come in two flavors, one intended for
physicians, which describes the drugs & dosages needed to treat a
particular malady, and another that describes the NURSING
requirements. You don't see a lot of the latter because people with
multiple myeloma tend to die off pretty fast. But with regard to the
NURSING aspects of those who don't, describing us as cast-iron
*******s is being kind. The drugs most effective against tumors tend
to be poisons. While they nibble away at the tumor they are also
known for altering your emotional state, This leads to a Catch-22
situation where you tend to alienate those who are trying to help you.

With only one tumor's-worth of experience, I've no easy answers with
regard to my treatment but I know for damn sure I'd be a lot easier
to live with -- and to treat -- if I were capable of doing useful
work.

-Bob
Old September 7th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Copperhead144

On Sep 7, 2:26*pm, " wrote:

With only one tumor's-worth of experience, I've no easy answers with
regard to my *treatment but I know for damn sure I'd be a lot easier
to live with -- and to treat -- if I were capable of doing useful
work.

-Bob

Well Mr. Bob if its useful work you want you'll need to put your
thinking cap on and perhaps create some aircraft plans and such for us
lesser mortal's.LOL. Glad your home from the hospital, look into a
macrobiotic diet as an aid to getting your strength back.

Joe