Engine question

Old August 28th 05, 08:55 AM
Keith W

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

So did the Argus with which I'm very familiar too...

--

-Gord.

Gordon,

Was the Canadair Argus an American aircraft?

It had American engines

Oops.

Indeed

Keith

Old August 29th 05, 01:14 AM
Gord Beaman

"Keith W" wrote:

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message

So did the Argus with which I'm very familiar too...

--

-Gord.

Gordon,

Was the Canadair Argus an American aircraft?

It had American engines

Oops.

Indeed

Keith

Yes indeed, Wright R-3350-EA-1's to be exact...the most advanced
piston engine in the world...produced 3700 BHP...mister, when you
got four of those in your left hand it doesn't take long to get
up to 'rotate' on a 'touch and go'...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old August 29th 05, 03:57 AM
Mike Weeks

Max Richter wrote:
Hallo,

i am wondering why American aircraftradialengines have no aerodynamical
spinners.Airplanes with inlineengines like P51;P40;P38 and so on have
aerodynamical optimized spinners.
And German radialengines had spinners like the FW190.Zero=B4s and other
Japanese aircraft had them.
What is the reason why the wellbuild American aircraft had just a little
hup on their propellers.
Thank You and greetings

Here's an example of one aircraft's evolution regarding spinners -- and
on-topic for the NG! g

XSB2C-1 & prod. -1's had a spinner w/ a 3-blade prop.
SB2C-3 w/ a 4-blade prop had no spinner.
SB2C-4 w/ a 4-blade prop had a spinner.
And finally the SB2C-5 had no spinner w/ it's 4-blade prop.

Just by looking over various pubs of the naval a/c which came out of
WWII (and those at the start) -- almost all had spinners at some point;
some only in the X-version. But the F2A (FWIW) had the spinner up
until the -3 version (which never saw front-line service.)

It would seem no version of the F4U had spinners.

The F8F had no spinner, yet at least one after-war modified Bearcat
racer had a very larger spinner.

Can't address what it means except to note that by the war's end, no
front-line naval a/c had spinners. The other comments all seem
logical, yet the SB2C evolution appears rather strange.

MW

Old August 29th 05, 05:07 AM
Red Rider

"Max Richter" wrote in message
Hallo,

i am wondering why American aircraftradialengines have no aerodynamical
spinners.Airplanes with inlineengines like P51;P40;P38 and so on have
aerodynamical optimized spinners.
And German radialengines had spinners like the FW190.Zero´s and other
Japanese aircraft had them.
What is the reason why the wellbuild American aircraft had just a little
hup on their propellers.
Thank You and greetings
Max

Hummmmmm, a little before my time but from what I remember from talks with
my grandfather (he was a NAP) and my dad (also a Naval aviator) both whom
flew many different types of radial engine aircraft, I think that spinners
may have disrupted the air flow. Pre-WWII the intake designs being used were
classified. Developed they eventually gave almost a 10% performance
improvement over the designs in use in the rest of the world at the time.
The Jap "Zero" copied an earlier US intake design which added to its
performance, but this design still didn't perform as good as later (early
WWII) designs did. A 10% performance gained in aerodynamics and cooling, all
due to the shape of the cowling was nothing to pass up.

Many, many years have passed since those conversations with my grandfather
and my father. I just wish I had paid more attention to what they said about
their experiences. My grandfather flew for more than 25 years retiring in
1952 with 33 years in, and my father flew for 19 years before he passed in
1961.

Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Shutting down engine Question Lisa Piloting 26 April 5th 04 12:53 AM
Starting Engine Question (O-320, Warrior) Lisa Piloting 13 April 1st 04 06:45 AM
engine overhaul & autopilot question CriticalMass Owning 8 February 13th 04 06:11 PM
Rear engine in a crash question BernadetteTS Home Built 17 November 24th 03 04:10 AM