AOPA's new online flight planner

Old October 21st 03, 04:25 PM
Jim

Default AOPA's new online flight planner

Just got an email from AOPA pushing their new online flight planner. First
impression is telling me not to give up my E6-B, plotter, and sectionals.
It's slow, clunky, and disconnects constantly from the Jepp server bank.
I'll give them time to improve it, but they're doing a poor job re-creating
something that's already available online in several versions that are
smoother, faster, and less cumbersome. Hopefully it's just a v1.0 problem.

Anybody else trying it this morning? What are your experiences?

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old October 21st 03, 05:55 PM
Ryan

I cant even get it to work at all !
It wont connect at least from my computer and my dsl connection. I've never
had problems with any other 'net based software, so I'm not sure if its me
or Jepp with the problem.

Ryan

Old October 21st 03, 05:55 PM
Jay Honeck

Just got an email from AOPA pushing their new online flight planner.
First
impression is telling me not to give up my E6-B, plotter, and sectionals.

What are those?
;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 21st 03, 07:25 PM
Jay Masino

Ryan f wrote:
I cant even get it to work at all !
It wont connect at least from my computer and my dsl connection. I've never
had problems with any other 'net based software, so I'm not sure if its me
or Jepp with the problem.

Plus, the downloadable app is only for PCs (as per the .exe extension), so
Mac and UNIX users are screwed.

-- Jay

__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___
http://www2.ari.net/jmasino/ ! ! !

Checkout http://www.oc-adolfos.com/
for the best Italian food in Ocean City, MD and...
Checkout http://www.brolow.com/ for authentic Blues music on Delmarva

Old October 21st 03, 07:26 PM
Roger Tracy

I did some Beta testing of it and found it to be ok. Was a quick easy
planning
tool. I tried it on my laptop and my home PC and didn't have any problems
with
it. Did the client for your PC install okay?

Old October 21st 03, 07:55 PM
Richard Ross

I just looked on the AOPA site and can't find the flight planner you are
talking about. Do you have the URL?

Richard

Old October 21st 03, 08:26 PM
Jim

(rant on)
It installed okay only after having to download it 3 times because the Jepp
server disconnected twice during the download.

Why in the world would any software need to download the geographical
boundaries AND download the lat / long lines every time you log on and every
time you zoom in or out?? It needs a default view option that allows you to
save a view of your local area each time you load it. I don't think any of
us will need to plan a flight from Iceland to Hawaii or from Japan to North
Africa, why have a default view of 1/4 of the world??

It also needs to save all pertinent route data in between changes that you
make to altitudes along your route (rather than forcing you to re-create the
entire route, including your departure point, to see the wind effects.) It
would be nice to see the winds aloft entered in the NavLog also.

It would be nice to be able to scroll through the weather data as it is
downloaded, instead of having to wait for the entire download before viewing
any part of it.

I'm sure it will grow on me.... (like a wart)

Only disconnected twice during my last session. Call me a whiner, but the
least they could do is leave their old flight planner available instead of
killing it at the end of the year. A big pet peeve of mine is websites and
software being updated for no reason other than to give software developers
and webmasters job security. If it works, don't fix it. (rant off)

--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

Old October 21st 03, 08:29 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Jim" said:
Only disconnected twice during my last session. Call me a whiner, but the
least they could do is leave their old flight planner available instead of
killing it at the end of the year. A big pet peeve of mine is websites and

I thought the old flight planner was exactly the same as
http://www.duats.com/ ? That one's not going away.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"It's free they say, if you can get it to run, the geeks say `hey, that's half
Old October 21st 03, 08:32 PM
Jim

http://www.aopa.org/epilot/redir.cfm?adid=2939

Knock yourself out. Although I will admit it's running smoother now than it
was this morning.

My email to AOPA was responded to by a "keep trying" and a "more now than
ever us pilots need to stick together".
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply