On Sharing airspace with "non-rated UAV "pilots"

Old March 14th 09, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

Default On Sharing airspace with "non-rated UAV "pilots"

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
Again, many F-16 pilots are not rated either. The Air Force doesn't
require its pilots to obtain civilan ratings.

Of course not. To me, "rated pilot" means either a civilian or a
military pilot.

Vaughn

Old March 14th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

That you may be surprised to learn that many F-16 pilots are not
rated. Its optional to take your civilian checkride.

I thought that was a given. I have no problem with military pilots. This
thread is about military non-pilots being given poloting jobs.

I have full faith that the Air Force's rating requirements are more than
good enough.

I agree. But you seem to have missed the point of this thread.

Vaughn

Old March 14th 09, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Robert.. True.. they do not hold "civilian ratings". But that have completed
a course of instruction to include pilot training and a check ride in a
course/classroom environment acceptable to the FAA. All they need to do is
take a current "Form 8" to the local FSDO along with the results of an
"equivalency" written test and they can be issued Commercial, Instrument,
Multi Engine Ratings (if the Form 8 is for multi engine aircraft).

Global Hawk is flying in TFR or Restricted Airspace.
Other UAS, Predator, Raven, are not necessarily in a Restricted airspace.
Many are flying outside of the airspace.. check the local NOTAMs around So
California

BT

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Mar 14, 4:57 am, "vaughn"

Again, many F-16 pilots are not rated either. The Air Force doesn't
require its pilots to obtain civilan ratings.
In anycase, the only time the Global Hawk is flying outside of class A
airspace in the US is in TFRs.

-Robert

Old March 15th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
dhl

In article ,
"vaughn" wrote:

"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in message
m...
a GlobalHawk is flown entirely with a mouse. The operator is not "flying
it" they are commanding it over specific profiles ...

And?

I have no particular problems with sharing airspace with a UAV, I just
want it to be able see and avoid other planes at least as well as any other
plane out there, and I want to to follow the same rules that I follow. For
lots of good reasons, that includes a rated pilot at the controls.

bah - operating a UAV isn't piloting. You don't need to be a pilot
to operate a UAV.
Old March 15th 09, 08:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Varactor

On Mar 15, 3:19*pm, dhl wrote:
In article ,

*"vaughn" wrote:
"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in message
om...
a GlobalHawk is flown entirely with a mouse. *The operator is not "flying
it" they are commanding it over specific profiles ...

* *And?

* *I have no particular problems with sharing airspace with a UAV, I just
want it to be able see and avoid other planes at least as well as any other
plane out there, and I want to to follow the same rules that I follow. *For
lots of good reasons, that includes a rated pilot at the controls.

bah - operating a UAV isn't piloting. *You don't need to be a pilot
to operate a UAV.

In WWII didn't real pilots take great delight in trashing UAV's? I
wonder what a good wake vortex would do?

Cheers
Old March 15th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby[_3_]

On Mar 14, 9:19*pm, dhl wrote:
In article ,

*"vaughn" wrote:
"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in message
om...
a GlobalHawk is flown entirely with a mouse. *The operator is not "flying
it" they are commanding it over specific profiles ...

* *And?

* *I have no particular problems with sharing airspace with a UAV, I just
want it to be able see and avoid other planes at least as well as any other
plane out there, and I want to to follow the same rules that I follow. *For
lots of good reasons, that includes a rated pilot at the controls.

bah - operating a UAV isn't piloting. *You don't need to be a pilot
to operate a UAV.

Will you buy a ticket on a large passenger plan if it doesn't have a
human pilot?