Engine Oil Analysis help, please

Old October 25th 03, 08:45 PM
Michael Horowitz

Default Engine Oil Analysis help, please

I did my first oil change, had an oil analysis done and got back the
results. Two figures were flagged: 20ppm for AL and 99ppm for Iron
with the following comments: Wear Metals Appear Slightly High for Oil
Time, and Possible Corrosion if Aircraft Not Flown Regularly. It
concluded with the recommendation to sample next oil change to check
wear trend.

Is it time to panic or just note the figures with interest? - Mike
Old October 25th 03, 09:09 PM
Rich S.

"Michael Horowitz" wrote in message
I did my first oil change, had an oil analysis done and got back the
results. Two figures were flagged: 20ppm for AL and 99ppm for Iron
with the following comments: Wear Metals Appear Slightly High for Oil
Time, and Possible Corrosion if Aircraft Not Flown Regularly. It
concluded with the recommendation to sample next oil change to check
wear trend.

Is it time to panic or just note the figures with interest? - Mike

Mike..........

I'm not the resident expert on oil analysis, but - I like to think - an
informed user. I had a 34' Trawler with a Ford-Lehman diesel on which I kept
an oil analysis chart.

Numbers for oil analysis, unless way off the chart are best looked at as
trends. Much like battery electrolyte specific gravity readings, each
battery and each engine are slightly different. One reading doesn't tell a
hell of a lot by itself.

"Slightly" and "Possible" notations mean that you should keep an eye on the
numbers. Were it mine, I wouldn't panic. Mebbe you're just not using enough
of "Henderson Jones' Magic Engine Elixir" to "Prevent all Wear and Corrosion
Forever". ;-)

Rich Shankland

Old October 25th 03, 10:27 PM
Michael Horowitz

"Rich S." wrote:

"Slightly" and "Possible" notations mean that you should keep an eye on the
numbers. Were it mine, I wouldn't panic. Mebbe you're just not using enough
of "Henderson Jones' Magic Engine Elixir" to "Prevent all Wear and Corrosion
Forever". ;-)

Rich Shankland

OK - Point me to Diagon Alley, The'll have it G - Mike

Old October 26th 03, 02:50 AM
Dillon Pyron

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 17:27:06 -0400, Michael Horowitz
wrote:

"Rich S." wrote:

"Slightly" and "Possible" notations mean that you should keep an eye on the
numbers. Were it mine, I wouldn't panic. Mebbe you're just not using enough
of "Henderson Jones' Magic Engine Elixir" to "Prevent all Wear and Corrosion
Forever". ;-)

Rich Shankland

OK - Point me to Diagon Alley, The'll have it G - Mike

Just remember to pronounce it clearly when you use the flue powder :-)

--
dillon

The pen may be mightier than the sword,
but a .sig never beat a SIG
Old October 26th 03, 03:50 AM
Big John

Mike

You didn't give much data for anyone to make valid comments on.

1. Type and age of engine.(Including hours)
2. Type flying it has been doing (acrobatics, XC , training in
pattern, etc.)
3. Cylinder compression.
4. Type oil and how often it has been changed.
5. How often flown and whether hangered or tied down and part of
country you are in. .Any other things you can think of.

Oil analysis is basically a trend monitoring system. After
establishing a trend and you then come to a knee, you know to do
something about it before you have a major failure

I read the report recommendation "to sample next oil change to check
wear trend" as that they didn't find any incipient failure and to
check next oil change for any change in the analysis trend.

Anyone else want to add to these comments?

The Air Force started oil analysis many years ago and used to pull an
engine when the analysis showed excessive wear inside.

Big John

Old October 26th 03, 04:12 AM
Larry

The Air Force started oil analysis many years ago and used to pull an
engine when the analysis showed excessive wear inside.

Naval Aviation does the same.

Watch the trend.

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran
USN Retired

20 years of Navy in my rear view mirror
and getting further away every day ;-)

Old October 26th 03, 04:32 AM
pragmatist

Michael Horowitz wrote in message . ..
I did my first oil change, had an oil analysis done and got back the
results. Two figures were flagged: 20ppm for AL and 99ppm for Iron
with the following comments: Wear Metals Appear Slightly High for Oil
Time, and Possible Corrosion if Aircraft Not Flown Regularly. It
concluded with the recommendation to sample next oil change to check
wear trend.

Is it time to panic or just note the figures with interest? - Mike

Don't panic.
Were the analysts aware that this was a first oil change?
Wear is normally slightly higher during and just after 'break in` and
that might account for the numbers.
Best of luck - Pragmatist - Is there anything else I can be of no help
with?