A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

Old February 2nd 18, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kirk Robertson
external usenet poster

Default New pilot looking for glider to purchase.

Hello everyone, I'm a new pilot looking for a decent affordable glider that's suitable for a newbie that I won't outgrow within the first year or two. I'd appreciate all suggestions and info of gliders for sale.

I'm currently flying my clubs 1-26 until I get the time in to move up to the DG101.

I'd like something with a decent trailer also as I'd like to drive around the west to fly at lots of different places.

Thanks in advance for any information. Kirk.
Old February 2nd 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

a Standard Jantar 3 in a cobra trailer just came up on wings and wheels yesterday for 26,500 I think. I think that if that was in my price range I'd be very strongly considering it. Buy the best trailer you can afford!
Old February 2nd 18, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor
external usenet poster

Kirk,

Welocome to RAS. More details about you and what you are looking for will help others give you plentiful advice.
1. Your flight experience
2. Where are you located?
3. How tall are you and about much do you weigh?
4. What do you consider affordable?

Old February 2nd 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kirk Robertson
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:20:15 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
Kirk,

Welocome to RAS. More details about you and what you are looking for will help others give you plentiful advice.

I'm a low time (less than 100hrs) power pilot that just got my glider rating.
Nearby Bakersfield, CA. North of the Los Angeles area by a couple hours.
I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs
It depends on the glider but with a nice trailer I could spend up to around $20k
Old February 2nd 18, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 9:16:37 PM UTC-7, Kirk Robertson wrote:
On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:20:15 PM UTC-8, Tim Taylor wrote:
Kirk,

I'm a low time (less than 100hrs) power pilot that just got my glider rating.
Nearby Bakersfield, CA. North of the Los Angeles area by a couple hours.
I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs
It depends on the glider but with a nice trailer I could spend up to around $20k

http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2222 is near enough to check out. Depends how broad shouldered you are and torso length maybe. Panel and equipment sound dated. Tow hooks may need attention. Yes, you'll want a reliable trailer given your location. I'd suggest stopping in at the Avenal club. Maybe somebody within a range of experience looking over gliders can go with you to check out the Libelle. If there's no parachute, perhaps they can bring/loan one so you can try it for size. Check on the damage history and most recent W/B.

Consider joining the SSA, http://www.ssa.org and coming to the convention in Reno http://www.ssaconvention.org

Call me if you like,

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST

Old February 2nd 18, 06:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Libelle, Std. Cirrus, Open Cirrus, ASW-15, Standard Jantar 2 or 3.theyre all good ships. Just know you get what you pay for and like Frank said, perform a new weight and balance during a pre-buy inspection and thoroughly scrutinize the aircraft's log books for work you that's been done to the glider.. When it comes to buying a glider do what Warren Buffett says investors should do... wait for the right pitch before take your new bird home. Best of luck to you and welcome to this fantastic sport we call Soaring.

- Chris Schrader
Old February 2nd 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 10:33:41 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Libelle, Std. Cirrus, Open Cirrus, ASW-15, Standard Jantar 2 or 3.theyre all good ships. Just know you get what you pay for and like Frank said, perform a new weight and balance during a pre-buy inspection and thoroughly scrutinize the aircraft's log books for work you that's been done to the glider. When it comes to buying a glider do what Warren Buffett says investors should do... wait for the right pitch before take your new bird home. Best of luck to you and welcome to this fantastic sport we call Soaring.

- Chris Schrader

Good morning Chris,

I'd be curious about the 337, but he's close enough to the Libelle that has relatively low hours for it's age that I'd recommend checking it out. Needs to check the joy stick for cracking also. Colin Shea had to replace his last year to get in the air. If the glider and trailer are four stars and he fits, could be a good deal. Resale after a few years is also worth considering. Plus enough wiggle room in his budget to update what's necessary, possibly the plumbing, panel, and tow hooks.

Even if he doesn't go for this one, looking over a few is a good experience in itself. Since he's a neophyte, it's good to know what to look for, thus an experienced set of eyeballs with some experience in buying and selling gliders is very valuable even before finding someone who'll do a pre-buy.

If he can't find someone at Central California at Avenal, there's a depth of experience at Lake Elsinore and Cypress Soaring.

Just my $.02

Frank Whiteley
970-330-2050 7am-10pm MST.

Old February 2nd 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.
external usenet poster

On Thursday, February 1, 2018 at 7:02:24 PM UTC-8, Kirk Robertson wrote:
Hello everyone, I'm a new pilot looking for a decent affordable glider that's suitable for a newbie that I won't outgrow within the first year or two. I'd appreciate all suggestions and info of gliders for sale.

I'm currently flying my clubs 1-26 until I get the time in to move up to the DG101.

I'd like something with a decent trailer also as I'd like to drive around the west to fly at lots of different places.

Why not this LS-3a? http://wingsandwheels.com/class/classified.php?id=2659 Reasonable panel for XC, plane and trailer look to be in good shape. Well behaved ship with good performance for XC. 17m tips to grow into.

Matt
Old February 2nd 18, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

- Get the prettiest looking glider for your money, dont get hung up too much on a kind. Right now there is Standard 3 with only 150 flight hours...or there is DG101 that used be be based on my old gliderport and it was meticulously maintained by its old owner. Worst thing you can do is get some junker that hasn't had anything done to it for 20+ years just because you were looking for a brand name.
Old February 3rd 18, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kirk Robertson
external usenet poster

Thanks for all the info everyone, I am a new member at Avenal and have put out feelers there as well with a couple to look at so far.

I'm keeping an eye on wing and wheels for anything in my price range in the western us.