Problematic medical for potential new student?

Old July 10th 05, 05:26 PM
Doug S

Default Problematic medical for potential new student?

So, after a few years of putting it off (actually..."after a few years of
saving enough $$$"), I decided I want to get a private pilot cert.
Welllll...from the time that I first wanted to do that (about 10 years ago)
until now, I've had some changes in my medical status, which will
*definitely* require a waiver. The question to the group is, what are my
chances? In other words, I don't want to go through the hassle of getting
all my records together if there's not much of a chance I will receive the
waiver. On the other hand, if people think that the waiver is probable,
what steps should I take? Should I get the records together first and then
take the medical? See, I don't want to even start taking instruction (and
spend the $$) if there's not much of a chance that I'll be able to get the
cert...

In a nutshell:
31 year old otherwise healthy male (6'3" 190 lbs).

1998 or so, taken to the hospital due to an anxiety attack (severe heartburn
thought to be a heart attack that snowballed). Nothing serious, haven't had
one since...
12/00 - DUI
10/01, 02/02 - Hospitalizations for situational depression. (1 week each
time) Was prescribed Paxil at the time (see below)
08/02 - Over night observation hospitalization for slip-and-fall with loss
of conciousness. All tests (CT, Xray) negative, no residual effects
apparant.

Since about 1994 or so, I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my
knees. I have taken everything from Advil to Vioxx for relief (see below)

In early 2003, I was taken off the Paxil by my GP, showing no signs of
depression.

Now, within the past year or so, I started getting severe headaches. Note:
I have NOT seen a neurologist; but these headaches have been diagnosed by my
GP as migraine (with aura, by the way, so I actually know about 10 minutes
before they occur). At their peak they were occurring about 4-5 times a
month. This was also about the time that my GP put me on the COX-2
Inhibitor class of drugs (Vioxx/Bextra/Celebrex) for my knees. We were
playing "musical chairs" with the drugs to try to find the best acting drug
(none of them seemed to be particularly effective). This was due to..

Fatty liver diagnosis. I need to stay away from Tylenol and alcohol...

Anyway, back to the migraines. I was NOT put on any prophylactic for the
migranes, but prescribed a triptan for treating the attacks (specifically
Relpax).

About February of this year, my GP put my on Daypro (NSAID class) for my
knees and took me off the COX-2s. Since then (actually about 2 weeks
later), my migraines have stopped occurring...I have not required a dosage
of Relpax. Now I am beginning to wonder if it was actually the COX-2 drugs
that were partially responsible for the migraines.

So currently, my medical status is:

1) Fatty liver: Stay away from products containing Acetomenaphin , and also
alcohol.
2) Borderline high cholestorol: My GP wants me on Lipitor, but due to the
liver side effects I am wary. I have not started taking the drug, but am
first trying to lower it through diet and exercise
3) History of migraines. Controlled by acute intervention medications. No
attack in the past four months, could be related to the drug switching.
4) Osteoarthritis in the knees. Controlled by Daypro with no discernable
side effects except upset stomach if I don't take it with food.

What do y'all think, is it possible, or just a pipe dream?

Thanks...

Old July 10th 05, 05:49 PM
Fred Choate

I would say to go get the medical and see. If it is denied, you are only
out $100 roughly, but you may find out that you are qualified.

Also, there is the sport pilot stuff now, where you only need a drivers
license I believe. I actually haven't read all the sport pilot
requirements, but that is an option to look into if you can't get the
medical approved for the private rating.

Fred

Old July 10th 05, 05:53 PM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Before following Fred's advice below I would check the Sport Pilot medical
info. I think a refusal of a medical may prevent you from using a driver's
license for light sport.

Old July 10th 05, 06:05 PM
Toks Desalu

I am not the expert or have knowledge in mediations, but I am pretty sure
that in term of mediations, they do not look at the history. They are only
concerned about current medical status. I'm sure that you know that some
medications are forbidden in aviation. I do not know if any of medications
you are currently taking are forbidden. Here is what I found on FAA
website:

6. What medical conditions does the FAA consider disqualifying?
The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying
medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is adequately
controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification contingent on periodic
reports.

1.. Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
2.. Angina pectoris
3.. Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that
has been symptomatic or clinically significant
4.. Myocardial infarction
5.. Cardiac valve replacement
6.. Permanent cardiac pacemaker
7.. Heart replacement
8.. Psychosis
9.. Bipolar disease
10.. Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly
manifested itself by overt acts
11.. Substance dependence
12.. Substance abuse
13.. Epilepsy
14.. Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of
cause
15.. Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without
satisfactory explanation of cause.
Now in term of DUI, under parts 61 and 67, FAA may deny an application if an
individual has had two or more alcohol-related motor vehicle convictions or
state motor vehicle administrative action within a 3-year period. You had
DUI in 2000, which is more than 3 years ago. I believed that you are cleared
in that case, but you still have to report it.

I hope this information will guide you to the right direction, but keep in
mind that I am not the expert.

If you are not familiar with sport pilot, you might want to look into it in
term of requirements before you apply for medical certificate.

Toks Desalu
PP-ASEL
Dyin' to Soar!

Old July 10th 05, 06:09 PM
Fred Choate

Dan, you may be right.......

I am reading the FAR's right now, and under 61.23 in section C paragraph 2
there is some language there that may support what you say.

Fred

Old July 10th 05, 06:17 PM
Hotel 179

"... but you still have to report it."

Admit to nothing, deny everything, DEMAND proof. '

Stephen F. Pearce
Foley, Alabama

Old July 10th 05, 06:21 PM
Doug S

In news:uzcAe.5205$rx4.2388@trndny05,
Toks Desalu slavered, and posted this:
[...]

Huh. Interesting. When I looked at the information, migraine headaches
were one of the disqualifying medical conditions. From my understanding (I
believe the FAA website also has the drug list), migraines are allowable if
under control through a prophylactic drug (e.g. beta blocker) with no
reported side effects. Imitrex (another triptan type) is allowed, but
Relpax (the one I take if necessary) is not (although i would be willing to
switch); however, since I don't remember the website I was on, the info on
the site may be out of date. Relpax is a fairly new drug and may not have
made it yet. I *do* know that Daypro is an approved drug. And like I said,
I am not on any cholestorol lowering agents. My original post was more a
question of "are all these things cumulative." I mean, a history of only
migraines or only sit. depression is one thing, but would having had all
those things in combination make it more likely for denial...

As far as the Sport Pilot is concerned, I was trying to avoid that, mainly
because I live in a very busy class B area that has some weird weather
patterns (Detroit Metro); and aside from Plymouth-Mettetal (1D2), there's
not much in the way of uncontrolled airspace around here

Old July 10th 05, 06:33 PM
Capt. Geoffry Thorpe

As far as the Sport Pilot is concerned, I was trying to avoid that, mainly
because I live in a very busy class B area that has some weird weather
patterns (Detroit Metro); and aside from Plymouth-Mettetal (1D2), there's
not much in the way of uncontrolled airspace around here

Fly out of New Hudson if you are on that end of town. Grosse Ile to the
south etc. etc.

There are active glider clubs out towards Pinkney, Monroe, Manchester and
somewhere up past Romeo depending on exactly where you live. You don't need
a medical for a glider. Plus, they are more entertaining than $100
hamburgers.

--
Geoff
the sea hawk at wow way d0t com

Old July 10th 05, 06:36 PM

Doug S wrote:

*definitely* require a waiver. The question to the group is, what are my
chances? In other words, I don't want to go through the hassle of getting
all my records together if there's not much of a chance I will receive the
waiver.

Well, you're right in understanding that you have a complicated road
ahead. First questions:

1. How much money do you have?
2. How bad do you want it?

The FAA is, by global standards, very progressive on medical
certification. Whether you succeed depends in no small part on how hard
you are willing to work. The review board will no doubt ask for tests,
more tests, and tests to check the tests, few if any of which will be
covered under your medical insurance.

So currently, my medical status is:

1) Fatty liver: Stay away from products containing Acetomenaphin , and also
alcohol.
2) Borderline high cholestorol: My GP wants me on Lipitor, but due to the
liver side effects I am wary. I have not started taking the drug, but am
first trying to lower it through diet and exercise
3) History of migraines. Controlled by acute intervention medications. No
attack in the past four months, could be related to the drug switching.
4) Osteoarthritis in the knees. Controlled by Daypro with no discernable
side effects except upset stomach if I don't take it with food.

What do y'all think, is it possible, or just a pipe dream?

Prescription meds are one issue. Some are blessed by the FAA, others
are not. If you're using ones that are "bad," then you need to see if
you can switch to an approved alternative. Sometimes there is no
alternative, for instance, depression treated by prescription drugs is
a blanket no-go area. If you're off the drugs however, you should be OK
there.

I haven't read up on migraines much but IIRC certification is possible
if certain criteria are met relating to suppression through medication
and so on.

Not sure about the fatty liver, but I suspect it's not an issue unless
there's a medication conflict. Arthiritis? I have no idea but if it's
under control it's probably not a deal-killer.

The loss-of-consciousness event will complicate things significantly.
Not knowing any better, this plus the migraines would make me approach
the subject very cautiously.

A year ago the answer to this question was simple: go for it, you have
nothing to lose.

Now, with Sport Pilot, you do have something to lose. Specifically, you
can fly as a sport pilot using a so-called driver's license medical (as
proof of fitness to fly), but only if you have not previously been
denied an FAA medical certificate. If you are uncertifiable under
current standards (say for use of Prozac) and you apply for a medical,
then you lose the driver's license option.

In other words, if Sport Pilot provides all or most of what you want,
then I would focus my attention there first. The biggest downside right
now is that the infrastructure is lacking, and finding planes to rent,
instructors, etc will be harder, but it's going to get better, maybe
very quickly, over the next couple of years.

For more detailed and knowledgeable advice, a great place to start is
AOPA. A $40 membership buys you access to their medical team, who can
answer many questions.

Second, there are a number of specialist physicians out there who serve
as medical consultants to pilots. Many of their clients are airline
captains whose livelihood relies on getting certified, and they know as
well as anyone how to give a pilot the best chance of making the grade.
Naturally this is an added expense. If you want a cheaper hobby, have
you considered polo?

Best,
-cwk.

Old July 10th 05, 06:51 PM
James Ricks

Should I get the records together first and then
take the medical? See, I don't want to even start taking instruction

What do y'all think, is it possible, or just a pipe dream?

Thanks...

Doug, it's my understanding that AOPA will help and/or advise on just these
situations. You may want to contact them and explain much as you have laid out
here your condition(s). On the other hand, there may be some that are left
well enough alone.

It's also my understanding that one can't fail a medical then receive a Sport
Pilot Certificate, however if one allows their Class 2/3 to expire, then
reverts to flying under Sport Pilot rules, that's cool. I know you mentioned
that you would prefer PPL to Sport Pilot, but some flying is better than none.

Jim